Rotamints

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
jschinkowitch

Rotamint doesn't work

Post by jschinkowitch »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Good morning,
I'm new to this and want to know if anyone can help. I just purchased a 1985 Rotamint Supermax German slot machine and it doesn't work. It's extremely difficult as its all in German and I speak/read/understand none. It turns on, all the lights go on, the displays in front are on, the coin slots are full (ya that cost 250 more then the machine) it takes 1, 2, 5, mark coins and 10 pfennigs and the coin slot accepts all the coins.
- The good - I have a converter which works fine converting the power from 220 to 110, I have plenty of marks and pfennigs, and I have some wiring diagrams for it.
- Now the problems, the guy I purchased it from cut the speaker wires (must have been too loud for him) I found one of the big round fuses taken out (I replaced it) and there are a couple extra screws laying around inside of it.
- I've already tried resetting it(red button inside on the left) and all that does is makes the front displays go off and changing the PIO-1 and PIO-2 circuits with each other.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
John Shink
JC

Re: Rotamint doesn't work

Post by JC »

Hello John, welcome to the forum. I'm afraid your machine might be a bit too modern for some of us on here (including me). So I for one can't help! However, I am intrigued to know why you're dropping voltage down to 110v - Europe, including Germany, has always operated at roughly the same voltage as us, give or take 10v or so.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I'm no expert on Euro things but I do know that France was using 127 volts until 1956, when they increased to 220 volts. I researched this years ago because I purchased an unusual late 1940's advertising table fan in Paris and the seller was very insistent about me not trying to plug it in due to this fact!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think bp is right. This should be already on 220v if it is indeed from Germany. A lot of these went to Switzerland, but not so many to France, and if it's on Dm should be German and 220v. What date is the machine please?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Ah yes, I see the date now. Bp is right - about 10 years past our style.
JC

Post by JC »

I get very upset when I am confused with bp - I mean, who wouldn't?

Anyway, on my way to Coventry now - see you all Sunday

Jerry (not bp) :cool:
jschinkowitch

Post by jschinkowitch »

I don't suppose anyone would have any idea on where I could find help with this? I know it's newer but hopefully someone knows something about these.
All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John
romeo_22

1959 Rotamint Record

Post by romeo_22 »

Hi has anyone a copy of the lower payout decal for my 1p 1959 Rotamint Record m/c I am refurbishing please?
romeo_22

Rotamint Record help

Post by romeo_22 »

Hi all, I am restoring my 1959 Rotamint Record. I have totally finished a complete cabinet plus hinges, locks, reel contacts and coin mechanism overhaul. Today I powered it up for the first time to find that the coin switch has to be permanently “made” for the mech motor system to operate. It seems the “run on” latch system does not work. If I “open” the coin switch, the motor stops unless I hold it “closed” until the cam is run around enough to make the right hand end contacts to “make” and take over. Please does anyone have a circuit diagram or advice to help me fix it, as I’m so close to finishing the lovely old machine❓
treefrog

Re: Rotamint Record help

Post by treefrog »

Hopefully someone will help as I always thought a copy of circuit diagram was stuck to the back door of the machines.

See below thread on Rotamints, where the Duett version has a copy of the diagram. Not sure how different they are.

Rotamints
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You're right, the coin sits on the micro switch to start the machine, then as the cam at the top turns around to actuate the leaf springs one of them self-actuates the play solenoid.
It's at that point the coin closing the start circuit becomes redundant. To evict the coin, a hooked, flat probe enters between the two plates that make up the coin gate and pushes the coin off the switch and down towards the coin tube.

I hope that makes sense.

BP :cool:
romeo_22

Post by romeo_22 »

Thanks for the replies. Me having been in the gaming industry (Peter Simpers Bath) for 38 years have never worked on one of these German Rotamint m/cs. The majority of the older m/cs made before electronic MARS mechs were brought in had a lever micro switch or wafer coin switches.

This is the reason I was initially confused about this system. So clever those Germans. Today, after a bit of head scratching, I worked out what and why there is a crank lever system and coin switch crank lever. As the NSM coin switch had disintegrated and are not easily obtained I’ve had to resurrect a miltac roller micro switch and do some bracket inventions which has now got the m/c running.
Attachments
E81567BC-E231-4BAE-BB3B-077E89F92E7a.jpg
40013209-DC58-42F6-A6E4-FC0FF3E7460a.jpg
948B4B13-474B-4585-9589-71C5C1681CCa.jpg
1D247AA0-440C-4A04-A0A8-1F3629B9BA1a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It looks very smart. !THUMBS!
Well done on getting such a tricky machine going again!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Glad someone knows what they are doing. You could have a job for life fixing these. :D
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I like them. Think they're fun.
I used to buy them when they turned up at Newark Antique Fair for about thirty quid and have only been nearly killed twice.

BP :cool:
jackie3896

Rotamint Luxus

Post by jackie3896 »

Hi All,
I’m a newbie to this great website and really a pinball man, but have acquired a Rotamint Luxus that I need assistance with.

My problem is with the ‘stop/brake’ buttons and switches. They were broken when I got the machine and had been bodged to try and make them work. Unfortunately unsuccessfully.

I have now pretty much worked out how the switches operate, but am struggling to find how the switch for the first button (left looking from the front, or right hand if you’re looking in the back) resets.

The other 2 buttons/switches reset through the action of a rod and lever, but the other switch seems to work independently and I can’t fathom out how it resets, unless there is something missing from the machine.

Any help, or even a high res. picture would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Rotamint Luxus

Post by pennymachines »

Hi and a warm electro-mechanical :WELCOME:

There are some decent close-ups of Rotamint Luxus internals from page 4 onwards of this Rotamint topic.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

..... and in case you (or anyone else tempted) isn't aware, there are some interesting combinations of voltage trundling around inside.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

:zapa: :frankie: :zapa:
jackie3896

Post by jackie3896 »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, but all the pictures that I've seen appear to have the same sort of problem that my machine has. It may have been a fault with the Luxus, but it seems that the first switch gets repositioned, or replaced to enable it to work. I would like to, if possible, replace it as it was originally, but can't find any decent photos that show how it should work. I'm also guessing that this switch is normally closed, as are the other two, and open when the front button is pushed.

Thanks also for the information about the different voltages in the Rotamint. I shall be careful, but am used to Bingos that generally have 240v, 110v, 50v, 17v and 6v circuits. That said, Bally did supply detailed schematics, but I haven't seen anything legible for the Rotamint yet.

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Chris.