Somebody knows... Maybe you?
dscalise1

Mutoscope Electric Traveling Crane Motor

Postby dscalise1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:53 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and just got a Mutoscope Electric Traveling Crane that I am in the process of restoring. I'm in the U.S., but it looks like the model I have is the U.K. version. After some searching around, it doesn't look like there is much difference other than the badge that says 1D, one penny and (I assume) the motor. The problem I have is that my motor has no nameplate or information of any kind on it and it is unfortunately bad. Does anyone here have any info or this motor? Make, model, HP, rpm, etc...
Thanks

clubconsoles

Re: Mutoscope Electric Traveling Crane Motor

Postby clubconsoles » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Have I already spoken to you on facebook?
Someone was asking me to take pics of the original motor and gearbox ratio??

dscalise1

Postby dscalise1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:56 pm

No sir, wasn't me, but that is coincidental. I don't need pics, unless it's of the nameplate with the motor info. My gearbox is good to go. I took it apart and cleaned out all the old grease. It's just my motor that put a literal stop to my progress. Is there a good facebook group for these machines and related arcade items? If so, would you mind sharing?
Thanks

clubconsoles

Postby clubconsoles » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:10 pm

There are lots of facebook groups around the world but mostly US and UK.
Too many to list here!
Sounds like you have the original motor if you have a working Gearbox?
100% keep it original would be my advice, take it to a motor rewinds shop and have it done properly.
Will cost you around 100 bucks, but well worth it, will preserve the value of your machine.
If you want to connect with me on facebook for further help, PM me.
Good luck

clubconsoles

Postby clubconsoles » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 pm

Does your motor look like this? A picture would be useful.
No point in rewinding a non original motor!
crane_07.jpg

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:39 pm

You didn't mention how the coin slide and coin mech has been altered for large Penny? It's usually possible to tell by how the conversion work was done, the factory job will obviously closely follow the US parts. Possibly some were exported factory converted to 220v and Penny play, but they could also have been US models converted once in the UK by the dealership? If that's a 110v motor in there you should see signs of a 220v reduction transformer having once been installed. Can't imagine you'd want to replace a 220v motor if that's what you have. Check all the bulbs as they'll be either 110v or 220v, which will tell you what the power source was.

dscalise1

Postby dscalise1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:19 am

No, my motor doesnt look like that and all of my cams, etc...up top are brass not chrome. The motor itself is definitely old, can't say for certain if it's original, but it has a screw shaft which mates up to a right angle drive which mates up to another shaft that turns the cams. The motor case is in real bad shape, it was breaking apart as I was disassembling the motor originally to clean it. I guess a rewinding could be feasible, but with the case being in the condition it's in, a may not be salvageable. All of the electrical, including the coin switch and any lights have been removed. I literally have nothing to go by to determine its voltage or its rpm. What I really need is to know what the rpm is so I can try to replace it with something else. I would love to go back with original, but from what I understand the originals are impossible to find.
20191117_123250a.jpg
20191117_123244a.jpg

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:32 am

This guy was advertising leftover Travelling crane parts including the Dumore motors for sale in 2017, worth asking if anything is left: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... yV0wvWHI34

This is the motor you'll be looking for and if you keep a look out on eBay they will stand out like a sore thumb as don't know of any other models by them that were chromed, plus the added gearbox also chromed.
dumore muto 1.jpg
dumore muto 1.jpg (31.47 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
dumore muto 2jpg.jpg
dumore muto 2jpg.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 1308 times

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:50 pm

We're adding you to the list of "British Arcade National Treasures," Gameswat.

J Peterson
List founder and curator, USA

dscalise1

Postby dscalise1 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:49 am

Thanks Gameswat, I actually reached out to the guy who you referenced in that link a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any parts left, but he has been incredibly helpful on other aspects of my restoration. Thanks for the pic too, that's definitely not the motor I have. Unfortunately again, that motor doesn't have anything on the nameplate in the spot where the rpm should be listed. Arghhhh! :dammit: