BDR 'Breadbin' bandit

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geordy55

Re: BDR Breadbin

Post by geordy55 »

Hi TF, there’s nothing on the handle externally whatsoever.
Attachments
27775DDE-5295-4784-9631-5412C2F9854a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

All the ones I have owned have had the hex bolt, this may have been changed later in production as I reckon they would have issues with kids nicking handles. Cannot believe the pin needs to be banged out as quick access will be needed for simple maintenance of the machine......the obvious solution will be there somewhere |/XX\|
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

geordy55 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:18 pm ...it does appear to have a split pin/cotter pin internally. Is this what holds the handle in place
No, it should be held by a grub screw in the spot you indicated. If there's no screw you should be able to remove the handle, but it might need a bit of prising to get it off. Likewise the hood.
slotey

Post by slotey »

The one I had was quite simple to remove. If you look where the handle boss enters the inside of the case, there was a ring cut into the boss where a lever operated plate dropped in, anchoring the operating arm. Lift it up and move the handle out with a bit of jiggling and, if I remember right, two similar levers, one each side, anchored the case to the base. All three levers had to moved to the inside of the machine, freeing the case.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Well one extra long 1/8” Allen key on order. Still not 100% convinced it is a grub screw holding it in place but there’s no real other possibility.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I wonder where the hole has gone in the end of the handle boss?
Better order one of those too.

BP :!?!:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If it's any help, here are photos of mine which is the same style as yours, so at least you know what's going to eventually pop out. The stub you can see in the photo is not the screw, it's the key that fits into the mech. My guess is it's only the plate that falls into the groove on the handle that's holding it in. As you can see in the photo, the screw on mine is fully in and has no grip on the mech and causes no obstruction (perhaps the one on mine is just too short,it does not look original).

I think these handles were indeed a later addition, as when I look into the hole in the case with the handle off I can see the screw thread that would have taken the bolt through the boss.

I do not tighten the screw (or loosen it for that matter) on the handle. The handle is secure and works perfectly without the screw, and is a one second job to remove the case at any time that way.
Attachments
handle 2.jpg
handle 1.jpg
polaris

Post by polaris »

Both machines I have are relatively simple to release, two levers internally lock both handle and hood. If indeed yours is similar: lift levers, pull handle from case and lift off hood.
Attachments
F59B81F9-EE82-4358-AC5D-1E29C183D93a.jpg
3B8FEE8B-F1C0-425D-A448-60E57B51841a.jpg
slotey

Post by slotey »

The last two posts - isn't that what I said in my post?
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Well my machine is at work so will have to wait till Monday now before I have another go. Plenty ideas to help me though, thanks.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Ok, a little update. My extra long Allen keys arrived this morning, so I started in trying to free the handle. After getting nowhere, I decided to see if I could lever it off and low and behold it flew off like greased lightening. Not sure if I freed it up or just didn’t realize the technique to get the handle off. Anyway, after removing the case, I can now declare that this machine is now my favourite. The engineering inside is unbelievable compared to traditional bandit mechanisms. It all runs, pays out like it should and has a double jackpot (the reels aren’t in too bad condition either) so all it needs is a little service to make it run smoother and quicker and a paint job on the cabinet. Thanks for all your help.
Attachments
0F580C29-2545-44DA-8D8D-AF90BFBF7BE7a.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Geordy you never explained what holds the handle in place? What's to stop it falling off once you clean and lube the machine and play with vigour? Maybe that latching lever already described by others has gone missing?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

One recommendation is don’t use any abrasive cleaner or wire wool etc on the polished stainless steel case. They are easily damaged by over zealous owners and I have seen loads like it up for sale with ruined cases. Of course it maybe possible to polish the scratches out, but best avoided in the first place.

Also a shame so many of the original stands are missing, which fitted flush under the cabinet. I recall one coming up for sale for £12 at the Elephant a few years ago, which I should have snapped up, but did not need one.....
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

gameswat wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:38 pm Geordy you never explained what holds the handle in place? What's to stop it falling off once you clean and lube the machine and play with vigour? Maybe that latching lever already described by others has gone missing?
Well actually nothing was holding it in place, I can only assume that the woodruff key that locates it onto the shaft is tapered slightly and levering off from inside is enough to remove it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

As I mentioned, it should be held by a tiny little grub screw in the hole you indicated. I believe it locks into a thread in the shaft, because it's too small to offer much grip. As you say, it's a terrific (and still underrated) bandit. As you're going to repaint, I trust you'll preserve the Union Jacks on the sides.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

This is also my favorite machine, the only problems you might get on rare occasions are ,1. there is a small flip plate that allows a coin into the JP every 5 coins (might be a little different on the double JP) this can get stuck if too many coins get into the JP tubes and they over fill and then coins cant get out of the delivery shoot and the machine jams.you need to adjust this flip plate if its a problem
2. the clearance at the bottom of the normal payout tube is quite critical , a disc turns under the tube grabbing coins and rotating them out to the payout cup, if this clearance is not just right the machine will either miss coins or jam coins depending on if the gap is too big or too small.
Because of the way the payout symbols are produced directly onto the reels careful touching up with the correct paint makes a pretty much perfect restore
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

gameswat wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:38 pmWhat's to stop it falling off once you clean and lube the machine and play with vigour? Maybe that latching lever already described by others has gone missing?
It may well be Geordy's latch lever is indeed missing, but I thought I'd take a good look today and see exactly what goes on with the handle. In fact the grub screw doesn't hold the handle in place. Close examination shows that when fully screwed in it's flush with the top of the small keying bar (a). The grub screw's job is to hold this key in place and allow for it to be replaced if worn.
The latch bar is all that holds the handle on, fitting into the groove (b) but not so deep as to touch the moving handle.

This ingenious simple little system means the handle and case can both be quickly removed without the need for any tools or know how on site.

The hole (c) is unthreaded and I can only assume it's a lubrication access to the handle axle.
Attachments
handle 2a.jpg
handle 1a.jpg
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Paul,

My lever is not even threaded where the grub screw should be!

Think I must be missing the latch bar.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

pennymachines wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:21 pm As you say, it's a terrific (and still underrated) bandit. As you're going to repaint, I trust you'll preserve the Union Jacks on the sides.
It only has a union jack on the opposite side to the handle. Think I might have to make a stencil to replicate it once I respray the cabinet.
geordy55

BDR Breadbin

Post by geordy55 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi, does anyone on here have a manual available for the BDR breadbin machine? Does anyone know anyone who may have spares?