Mutoscope Electric Traveling Crane Motor

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
dscalise1

Mutoscope Electric Traveling Crane Motor

Post by dscalise1 »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and just got a Mutoscope Electric Traveling Crane that I am in the process of restoring. I'm in the U.S., but it looks like the model I have is the U.K. version. After some searching around, it doesn't look like there is much difference other than the badge that says 1D, one penny and (I assume) the motor. The problem I have is that my motor has no nameplate or information of any kind on it and it is unfortunately bad. Does anyone here have any info or this motor? Make, model, HP, rpm, etc...
Thanks
clubconsoles

Re: Mutoscope Electric Traveling Crane Motor

Post by clubconsoles »

Have I already spoken to you on facebook?
Someone was asking me to take pics of the original motor and gearbox ratio??
dscalise1

Post by dscalise1 »

No sir, wasn't me, but that is coincidental. I don't need pics, unless it's of the nameplate with the motor info. My gearbox is good to go. I took it apart and cleaned out all the old grease. It's just my motor that put a literal stop to my progress. Is there a good facebook group for these machines and related arcade items? If so, would you mind sharing?
Thanks
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

There are lots of facebook groups around the world but mostly US and UK.
Too many to list here!
Sounds like you have the original motor if you have a working Gearbox?
100% keep it original would be my advice, take it to a motor rewinds shop and have it done properly.
Will cost you around 100 bucks, but well worth it, will preserve the value of your machine.
If you want to connect with me on facebook for further help, PM me.
Good luck
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Does your motor look like this? A picture would be useful.
No point in rewinding a non original motor!
Attachments
crane_07.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

You didn't mention how the coin slide and coin mech has been altered for large Penny? It's usually possible to tell by how the conversion work was done, the factory job will obviously closely follow the US parts. Possibly some were exported factory converted to 220v and Penny play, but they could also have been US models converted once in the UK by the dealership? If that's a 110v motor in there you should see signs of a 220v reduction transformer having once been installed. Can't imagine you'd want to replace a 220v motor if that's what you have. Check all the bulbs as they'll be either 110v or 220v, which will tell you what the power source was.
dscalise1

Post by dscalise1 »

No, my motor doesnt look like that and all of my cams, etc...up top are brass not chrome. The motor itself is definitely old, can't say for certain if it's original, but it has a screw shaft which mates up to a right angle drive which mates up to another shaft that turns the cams. The motor case is in real bad shape, it was breaking apart as I was disassembling the motor originally to clean it. I guess a rewinding could be feasible, but with the case being in the condition it's in, a may not be salvageable. All of the electrical, including the coin switch and any lights have been removed. I literally have nothing to go by to determine its voltage or its rpm. What I really need is to know what the rpm is so I can try to replace it with something else. I would love to go back with original, but from what I understand the originals are impossible to find.
Attachments
20191117_123250a.jpg
20191117_123244a.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

This guy was advertising leftover Travelling crane parts including the Dumore motors for sale in 2017, worth asking if anything is left: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... yV0wvWHI34

This is the motor you'll be looking for and if you keep a look out on eBay they will stand out like a sore thumb as don't know of any other models by them that were chromed, plus the added gearbox also chromed.
Attachments
dumore muto 1.jpg
dumore muto 1.jpg (31.47 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
dumore muto 2jpg.jpg
dumore muto 2jpg.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

We're adding you to the list of "British Arcade National Treasures," Gameswat.

J Peterson
List founder and curator, USA
dscalise1

Post by dscalise1 »

Thanks Gameswat, I actually reached out to the guy who you referenced in that link a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any parts left, but he has been incredibly helpful on other aspects of my restoration. Thanks for the pic too, that's definitely not the motor I have. Unfortunately again, that motor doesn't have anything on the nameplate in the spot where the rpm should be listed. Arghhhh! :dammit:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Unfortunately the one at the EH last Sunday didn't have the correct motor either.
Attachments
73.jpg
motor.jpg
tim575

Post by tim575 »

I have a working model that at one time was made from a International Mutoscope Electric Traveling Crane, at least the case and coin switch. The motor and cams didn't look like pics of an electric traveling crane, but the cams were brass and motor looks similar to yours. I had to replace the lead wires and wires to the brushes, and get new carbon brushes, but the coils were OK and no leakage current to motor case, so a rewind was not needed. Attached pics for your reference if it is any help, it was a 220V motor but RPM not marked on it.
Attachments
Motor-reworka.jpg
Motor-aftera.jpg
robotdentist

Faulty crane motor

Post by robotdentist »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I have a vintage/antique grabber crane and the motor stopped working.
Does anyone have any ideas how I should go about testing it, or who I should send it to in the UK possibly for rewinding?
I would really appreciate your advice.
I have some pictures attached.
It's great to see the site active, keep up the good work.
KR Ashley
Attachments
IMG_7381-d15a204fa.jpg
brigham

Re: Faulty crane motor

Post by brigham »

Work logically.
First check to see if electricity is available AT the motor. (Use a test lamp).
If so, then examine the brushes, with the current turned off. This is the usual cause of non-running.
If the brushes are OK, check the continuity of the windings. If there was no smoke prior to stopping, it is unlikely that the windings have given up.
An AVO, or similar multimeter is invaluable for working on these machines.
robotdentist

Post by robotdentist »

Thanks for that, I am very new to this so will have to do some swatting up on what the brushes look like and where to get replacements.
In the meantime a removal company broke one of the glass panels :shock: Is it just standard toughened glass that I should replace it with?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think the value of the prizes and safety of the punters weren't considered high enough to warrant toughened glass, which is why your removal company were able to break it. I think for domestic use plate glass would be fine (and cheaper).
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If you decide to go the route of standard glass, be careful what questions you answer.
Many of the outlets who also deal in other services such as mirrors, fitted kitchens and glass shelving may play a cunning game. Although you may state the thickness you require, they might innocently enquire what you need it for. What they're fishing for is any excuse to insist you must have security or toughened glass.
Impressive looking folders with BS or ISO embossed on the cover can be whipped out from under the counter for reference.
Although "Early Half of the 20th Century Amusement Grabber Crains" aren't likely to be catered for, they have gallons of questions they can ask you, that will confirm you must cough up for the costlier options.
Questions like: -
Where the product is to be located, is it physically possible for someone not a member of your immediate family to get within touching distance of this glass or glass product? What about children? Will it be installed by a professional tradesperson, what qualifications have they? What 3rd party liability insurance cover have you?

Ask me how I know.
I immediately leaned heavily on my yokel accent and replied ...
"Dunno, gaffa sent me to get it. If you don't want the business, that's fine. I'll tell him and we'll go elsewhere."
Nowadays I only go to Glass Cutters that have a unit in the middle of a trading estate.
My last fall back is that now I'm bleedin' ancient I'm likely to have forgotten what I want it for and am just as likely to tell them "To frame a photo of my mother-in-law at her funeral."

BP !!CATAPULT!!
jingle

Post by jingle »

I wouldn’t put toughened in that it’s plate glass
You can get it in most glass shops
If you know any window replacement companies they always have old patio doors stored around the back
That’s the glass you want
They will cut it for a small charge
You would need to split the unit tho with a Stanley knife first
It’s usually free to 👍🏻
jingle

Post by jingle »

I also bought 2 original top flash glasses at a car boot last month
😁rapped in cardboard
Paid fir them tho. They new what they were 🤨
I have 4 mutoscope travelling cranes but 2 needed the glass
🕺🏼🕺🏼Lucky day
robotdentist

Post by robotdentist »

Thanks so much for all your replies, this is really helpful.
I will get them to make a bit of laminate for it, cos I don't want it to break again.