Spenser Bolland Road Safety identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
goddardr

Spenser Bolland Road Safety identified

Post by goddardr »

I've had this machine for donkey's years - it came from the old Royal Arcade in Weymouth in the 70s - but I've never seen another like it. The notice says it's the property of Spencer Bolland & Co (Marefair, Northampton). Paul Braithwaite lists them (in 1971) as making Working Models (and perhaps implies a relationship with Fred?) but I can't find mention of this machine anywhere. It obviously relates to the M1 Motorway which opened in 1959, and I'd have thought that 1971 would be rather late to use this as a theme, so I think it's a mid 60s job. A one-off prototype? Or have I just not happened across the 300 others that are out there somewhere. It's a solid metal front, so not easy to burn! I've got the original box, but it's massively heavy so as I still work the machines sometimes I've got it in a lighter box.

Pleased to hear from anybody with an idea. I'll also post a couple of other queries later this evening. Oh, and yes, that's a Brenner Fun (originally Black version but repainted by the previous owner) on the left and a Circle Skill on the right.
Attachments
Steerer detail
Steerer detail
The mystery Steerer
The mystery Steerer
daveslot

Re: Steer a Ball - only not the usual!

Post by daveslot »

I have had one of these so it's not unique. It's very well made, so I presume they intended to make a few of them. I think I put it in one of Steve's auctions. Don't know who made it though.
goddardr

Post by goddardr »

Thanks for the reply!
JC

Post by JC »

See this picture of the machine operated by Carters in their arcade. I believe Darren Hesketh has a similar machine in his arcade at the Candle Workshops, and I know of at least one other. I think they were produced by Arthur Bolland (Fred's younger brother) sometime in the sixties.
Attachments
Carters%2012.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It seems these Steer-a-Balls were manufactured by and for the sole use of Spenser Bolland who presumably had suitable venues to operate them. A total of 13 are said to have been made in two versions in both floor-standing and wall-mounted format. Allegedly one was stolen and another was given/sold to a friend - so how yours came to be in Weymouth is uncertain. At least one other was sold more recently (and is now at the Candle Factory - see above) but I think the remainder are still with the Bolland family.
See half-sized version of Road Safety in the Museum.
Attachments
RoadSafety.jpg
rigg

Post by rigg »

Badpenny, I have seen reference to the 'Candle Factory' a couple of times now but cannot Google anything about it. Can you give me any more info, like website please? I have also tried finding the magazine AAM on the net but it doesn't appear in any detail. Again, any more info would be appreciated, thanks.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Rigg :D , Have a look in the Locations Drawer in the Penny Machines Archive for the Candle Factory address. As for the AAM, it is now out of print - try the Mechanical Memories Magazine instead at https://pennymachines.co.uk/MMM.htm
It's well worth the subscription, :tarah:
slotalot

Mystery blue machine

Post by slotalot »

Topic split & merged - site admin.

IMG-20120904-00005.jpg

goddardr wrote:Richard Goddard (n.b. there are two Richard Goddards on this forum. I'm the other one.....Dick Goddard as was)
Hi "Dick" :D
What is the blue machine to the right hand side? Looks interesting -/00\-
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Spenser Bolland Road Safety identified

Post by pennymachines »

Stuart - you contributed to this topic in 2008! Are you losing your famous powers of detection? :o

Hi "Dick" :D
What is the blue and cream machine which used to be to the left hand side of your Road Safety? Looks interesting -/00\-
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

:oops: Senior moment! :-(
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

This is the one I remember in Barrons arcade in Great Yarmouth. Before it closed in 2007, there were loads of vintage machines including Ahrens etc. I knew the family so it came as a bit of a surprise when it closed although I knew there were issues. The machines were 'carried out' almost immediately but to this day I have not been able to trace that lucky buyer. Someone has an awful lot of quality machines though and I know they went for a song. !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Another one finished tonight for a monkey, so perhaps there are more out there.

vintage road safety coin operated arcade game
Attachments
roadtest.jpg
roadtest2.jpg
roadtest3.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

treefrog wrote:Another one finished tonight for a monkey, so perhaps there are more out there
Found another!! !!HYSTERIA!!
Attachments
monkey driving
monkey driving
images.jpg (9.06 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Is that a bumper car you're driving Stuart?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

DAMN!!!
How did you know it was me? :lol:
gabbyy

Bollands Road Safety penny machine

Post by gabbyy »

Post moved & merged - Site Admin.

Bollands Road Safety penny machine

How collectable is the above machine? Thank you
brigham

Post by brigham »

How collectable?
You may need a tail-lift!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Super heavy machine and a lot of locks. I had the mechanical version which wasn't feasible to operate as there was a series of steps to go through after inserting coin that the public simply couldn't grasp how to operate. The electromechanical version looks more simple to play.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure it is worth £1250 or anywhere near. Many seem to have sold on eBay and at the Elephant over the years for between £400 and £600.....and most collectors would prefer the non electric version I suspect. I was almost tempted by the Steer a Coin by Inness on eBay the other day a bargain by comparison. :shock:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I would also have bought the Steer a Coin, but it was too far away. They are quite a bargain at a couple of hundred pounds.
From memory I think I bought my Road Safety (mechanical) machine for £280 and later sold it around £400 but they aren't the same beast to play at all because the playfield is too compact and isn't large enough for the ball as it moves around too quickly. They were made to be operated on the motorway service station sites.
In comparison, Steer a Coin, operating on a large coin such as an old penny is able to roll quite a distance from side to side and is a fun game to play. They take really good money when operated.