Bally Gold Award

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
unsworth2606

Bally Gold Award

Post by unsworth2606 »

Bought a Bally Gold Award. It seems the coin mech is playing up. It does take the coin most times, just returns and when it does it shine game but the arm won’t play. Any ideas? Got told it needed a clean but done what I can. Any help would be great or ideas. Thank you. Can’t wait to get it going, thank you. x
malcymal

Re: Bally gold award

Post by malcymal »

On accepting a coin, does the handle pull and the reels spin etc? I'm assuming your Gold Award is a 1p or 2p play as many were converted from original 6d play.

Just thinking, it might be something as simple as coin differences of the pre-1992 coins being copper and thereafter steel and the slug/magnet detector rejecting the later coins. There's a detector in the coin entry mech which will reject coins it thinks are bogus. Get hold of some pre-1992 coins and see if it makes any difference. If not, come back on and post so others can jump in to help.
Cheers, Malc
unsworth2606

Re: Bally Gold Award

Post by unsworth2606 »

Hey Malc it’s a 1p and, no, when a coin is accepted the handle does not move. It only moves and spins when I touch the solenoid. The magnet does hold a few coins also but even when the coins are accepted the arm will just not release pal. Thanks for the reply.
unsworth2606

Post by unsworth2606 »

Hi Just got back put a pre 1992 penny in it accepted the coin went to flash game but no movement in the arm. Any ideas please and thank you
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I have owned a couple of Ballys before but they were working machines which I moved on fairly quickly and traded for all mechanical bandits. I know on this forum there are some Bally enthusiasts so be patient and I'm sure somebody will pop by soon and help you; be careful with these when fettling as the only shock I've ever had from a machine was off a Bally. Can anybody help the poster?
unsworth2606

Post by unsworth2606 »

Thank you and yeah I got told of the person I bought it of he had a bad shock off it. I won’t be working on it plugged in that’s for sure. lol Hopefully it starts working soon. I’m sure I will get help, thank you. What did you sell them at just out of curiosity?
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I didn't sell them, I actually swapped them at an amusement arcade in West Sussex where Ballys are still in use (but most failing). One of the machines is still active and out of all the Gold Award machines they were running, it's the last one standing. When the owner passed away, his son who is still there had to learn how to fix them and slowly, being they are electro-mechanical. As they failed, he decided to shift all six, with two working, four failed to another arcade who was going to use the parts to make a couple of good ones. One actually caught fire in the arcade after it was closed and a passer-by alerted the owner who lives near the site. I moved them on due to the danger of electricity and the difficulty in sourcing parts if they fail. I swapped one, a Golden Girl Gold Award which I paid £40 for for a stunning Jubilee OXO 10p conversion, gleaming chrome. This fetched over £400 and the other a Greaves fire-themed one for an Aristocrat Elite. Both all mechanical, other than some lighting in them, which the arcade had retired and kept in storage.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Hello Unsworth!
How close to Co. Durham are you?
unsworth2606

Post by unsworth2606 »

Blackpool mate
unsworth2606

Post by unsworth2606 »

*update*
So I found pre 1992 coins and all get accepted and then the game light shows but still can't pull on the arm unless I click the solenoid myself. All the help is muchly appricated as I’m new to vintage machines. 😀
brigham

Post by brigham »

You're in one of my all-time favourite seaside towns, but I'm unlikely to be over that way this time of year.
First thing I would do in this instance is slide out the mech, and clean and examine all the contact sets, and the multi-plug/socket arrangement for loose pins.
Do you have an AVOmeter? With the mains off, you could check continuity of the arm release solenoid, using the Ohms range; then, with mains on and coin accepted, check for voltage at the solenoid.
These machines fall between the 'penny slots' category, and the 'electro-mechanical' era. Neither enthusiasts group fully accepts them.
I've had useful hints from the MPU people: https://www.fruitemu.co.uk/ib/
unsworth2606

Post by unsworth2606 »

I don’t have one mate and I’ve cleaned all the switches can’t find anything loose I’m clueless on what’s happening. 😔
unsworth2606

Post by unsworth2606 »

Picture below there’s 3 fuses 2 attached to wires ones not is this part of the problem? I’m struggling to find a loose or unlcean wire.
Attachments
fusesa.jpg
unsworth2606

Post by unsworth2606 »

Hey guys, so I pulled out the mech, cleaned all the switches and I noticed they were all touching apart from one, so I tightened them together and it works. 1p is going on 3 plays is that correct? Thanks for all the advice. Now time to paint. Any good easy ways to remove the front face?
brigham

Post by brigham »

Splendid news.
If you work logically, you can get these machines to work.
Do the 'three-pulls' lights go along in sequence as you play? Fascinating to watch.
How about some pics? I'd like to see how good the reel-glass is. Most of them have been badly mutilated by the decimalizers, but if you are lucky, only stickers will have been used.
Removing the belly-glass is usually difficult. The nuts are found on the inside of the door; but even when you have found and undone them all, it either crashes to the ground, or stubbornly refuses to move.
If the belly-glass lights up, and you don't need to retouch the artwork, you could always leave it alone. I do.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well done Paul, I was confident you'd get there, as I said "clean it all and check the switches!"
It looks like you got the lights working in your scullery. !!IDEA!!

BP
unsworth2606

Post by unsworth2606 »

She just needs a clean, maybe a paint job. Not decided, might sell her and get something new. What is the going rate please guys. If it’s cheap she’s staying.
Attachments
GoldAward1a.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Well done mate, brilliant. That actually appears to be an old 6d coin for three plays machine. The 1 shilling award would pay 2 coins. Does it pay 2 coins or 5? (2 X 6d coin being a shilling). The five coin payout was introduced when they were converted to 1p for 1 play. If its still accepting 6d coins thats really cool and more likely quite hard to find now as most of these were converted; under the label on left side 'one penny' the original 3 plays for 6d artwork should be present. Did it come with any gold award tokens in the token tube? If not, you can probably find something on ebay. Good news and it looks nice with lights working too, Malc
brigham

Post by brigham »

I paid £200 for one last year.
That's not the general price for Bally bandits; I just happen to be keen on this 5/- Gold Award conversion.
Other types change hands for as little as £40.
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

unsworth2606 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:56 pm *update*
So I found pre 1992 coins and all get accepted and then the game light shows but still can't pull on the arm unless I click the solenoid myself.
Sounds like the solenoid is playing up. Check the feed wire to that solenoid. Also, if you have a circuit diagram, check everything possible regarding the power supply to the "dashpot switch for handle release circuit". I had a "Quick Draw" from the early 1970s and that was a rebuild from the popular "Sir Prize" machine from 1967 (give or take a year) but the handle locking/releasing is probably the same.