Oliver Whales allwin with '9 Results' flash

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Re: Oliver Whales 9 Results allwin identified

Post by coppinpr »

I'm not convinced that this is, or ever has been, a '9 Results'
I think its pretty clear it was never a 9 results. My guess is it was a "Win a Gift" but certainly not worth trying to return it to Win a Gift. It would destroy what remains of its last incarnation. I would either keep it as a 7 cup 9 results(?) if I wanted to keep the artwork, or turn it into a "Strato-Play" or "Playball" if I wanted to keep the playfield correct. This would require only changing the artwork as those two used exactly the playfield this machine has.
Attachments
owaw15.jpg
owaw7.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

Not exactly the same playfield.
"Win a Gift" has a lost hole.
The mystery machine has the losing cups on the gallery, same as Allwin Deluxe.
The mystery deepens...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

My guess is the lose hole is there, under the new backflash. Can the owner tell us, just out of interest?
brigham

Post by brigham »

The shape of the inner ring is wrong for a machine with a lose hole.
The ball never runs inside the inner ring, if there is no lose hole, remember.
We have so far discovered what the machine is not.
All we need to do now is find out what it is!
tammy

Re: Oliver Whales allwin with '9 Results' flash

Post by tammy »

The Evapo-rust ordered off ebay never came as the company ran out and refunded my money... Will have to try its merits in the new year now as I have used white vinegar and baking soda and left itbon in 30 min runs till I rinse off with warm water and an old toothbrush and cloths. Results quite good actually, especially on brass but even metal It's getting there!
Started putting some bits together as it's not really the time of year for this work, unless you have a good workshop.
It's not finished, but this gives an idea on how it's coming along.
Attachments
20191210_18245a.jpg
tammy

Post by tammy »

No win hole under the blackflash coppinpr, the door and inner workings seem to have been a 1930s type machine. It has the clicking win knob but some bits now missing. Possibly an Oliver Whales conversion or some owner has done it. I will show internal parts at a later day. I am not worried about it being a 100% 9 results as I think it's how it's spent quite a lot of its life and looks interesting. It's supposed to have come from Bridlington.

Glad I bought it, but it was in such a very very dirty state on closer inspection and although I have done up restoration machines before I would not like to take another on as black as it was. Everything seemed in that black state although the screws seemed to come out well which with distressed machines often isn't the case.
brigham

Post by brigham »

WOW!
There's a lot more useable '9 Results' backflash than originally apparent.
I'd be inclined to make a '7 Results' topflash, and fill the playfield corners with something unobtrusive, to make a 'machine that never was'.
A sort of Triton or Norvin, to use motorcycle terms...
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thank you for all your comments. It's come back to life again today, taking the old pennies and delivering the ball and was even paying out 2 coins for a win. Earlier today I had to straighten out a rather bent payout slide in my vice, and then found the bar linkage to it needed straightening. Seems people must have been trying to turn the win knob when it was in the rusty seized unrestored condition. The slide is working ok, but needs a couple more screws in it!

I took pictures of the mechanism before restoring as a guide but then had to use common sense on the bent 2 bits. I have posted a picture as it's as good as done. Topflash - I have put a Win A Frys Milk Crunch topflash for now as it was easily at hand.

To think I haven't had any rechroming done - used simple cleaning products and Pound shop yacht varnish etc. It shows you can restore on a shoe string with great results.

On sanding down a case before varnishing for a novice I would say don't go daft on sanding and overdoing it. I don't really go into white wood but imagine how it might look with the varnish on top. Wipe down with a clean cloth dampened with white spirit on after sanding to clear away dust; varnish in warm to hot conditions and you will learn by practice. On a safety note, buy a packet of masks for when you sand so you don't breath all the dust. Usually only £2 for 10 or even 20 masks.
Attachments
20191211_161709a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Excellent, well done, you must be pleased. It's a good feeling isn't it?

When you put a back on it it'll also make the case more solid. Make sure you get it squared otherwise you might find the doors either jam or don't sit straight.

BP !!IDEA!!
tammy

Post by tammy »

Hi badpenny nice to hear from you again! Yes I am well pleased and agree it does give you a good feeling as you look at what the machine is now.

I have already cut the back out of spare plywood from my shed. Also I have done two smaller pieces as we are taking them to a birthday party in about a week's time.

I am taking another Win a Chocolate bar allwin door that fits well on same hidges etc that dispenses Nestle's animal chocolate bars. So rather than worry about fitting locks I am putting a simple hook and latch that can be operated through a middle space at the back. I am also taking an Autofruit an electro-mechanical machine to give a little variety!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Cor! Jelly, ice cream, cake and penny slot machines. Sounds good, are we invited?
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Looks brill. !!THUMBSX2!!
tammy

Post by tammy »

We took a couple of machines to one of their birthday parties two years ago and one of the young lads coming again to this one has asked if they could definitely have penny machines there again because he enjoyed them so much! Last time it was a Rotolite and a Clement and Whales Greyhound Stadium..
Unfortunately no invites for others as you would all look daft in the party hats!!
tammy

Post by tammy »

Well the party has now come and gone and it is a memory... The children seemed to enjoy the machines!

Interesting looking back, I think these old machines are best enjoyed how they were meant, ie not on the floor, but fastened on a wall at a convenient height!

I realize looking back that I spent too much time trying to so to speak get the new baby working, ie the 7 results, or 9 results, or whatever it's now called?? This resulted in the Autofruit that is usually quite reliable playing up and after a while I put it back in my car. The rotor that does the lights had had a quick spray of electrical cleaner but should have had a better clean with strips of the inner side os cereal packet sprayed in electrical cleaner as it brings them up good. No wonder a lot of these machines aren't used today as they do need constant care.

The most reliable was the Win a Spangles that pays out Nestles Chocolate Animal bars for a win! One young girl even won on her first go with shouts after that "I am really good at gambling".
Attachments
20191214_140900a.jpg
20191214_140837a.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Well done Tammy, good job you have done there. It's interesting how these great old machines still have their appeal especially with children, considering the hypnotic pull of the modern screen games.
Tammy wrote:I have already cut the back out of spare plywood from my shed
so I guess you will now need another spare piece to mend the hole in your shed. :lol: