Vintage Rowntrees Aero chocolate vending machine

General vintage slot machine related topics.
runner

Vintage Rowntrees Aero chocolate vending machine

Post by runner »

I recently aquired this vintage Rowntrees Aero Chocolate machine. I believe it to be from the late fifties? (any information welcome from this group). The amazing thing is that the coin mech works, vending on a sixpence. It came with the original screws etc for fitting, and the original instructions. I have never seen another one for sale or even another picture anywhere. The last owner stored it in his workshop for nearly 40 years! if you look close enough in a certain light you can just make out the old decals on parts of the machine. I would love to see what she looks like restored, but I am going to keep her as is, rust an all. You can restore items as many times as you like but they are only original once!!
Attachments
DSCF3792a.jpg
aero6a.jpg
aero2a.jpg
DSCF3787a.jpg
DSCF3786a.jpg
widget2k4

Re: Vintage Rowntrees Aero chocolate vending machine

Post by widget2k4 »

but it may have been restored before in its life so is that still original ? lol
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Strange colour, I've never seen any Aero advertising from that era (on the product, shop front, vendor, even allwin) that was not the dark brown we knew and loved as kids.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Fisher & Ludlow were also famous for steel motor-car bodies. Rootes Bros., at first, then BMC.
I believe the company was bought-up and then lost in the Nationalisation debacle.
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I don’t think that machine has been previously restored. The yellow machine is a colour that Fisholow used for a number of their machines. Milky Way , Polo etc.

I think the original graphics would have had the brown bar but with age it’s faded.

I’ve never seen an Aero in this machine before. If anyone has a good quality original one for sale I would be interested. Also interested in any other Original machines of this shape.

Thanks Dave
runner

Post by runner »

coppinpr wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:02 am Strange colour, I've never seen any Aero advertising from that era (on the product, shop front, vendor, even allwin) that was not the dark brown we knew and loved as kids.
Attachments
aero old.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The R&W Win an Aero in the Museum shows a black wrapper.

WinAnAeroCU.jpg
WinAnAeroCU.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 6258 times

Attachments
areos2.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

pennymachines wrote:The R&W Win an Aero in the Museum shows a black wrapper.
I wonder whether the one in the museum has a replacement backflash Mr PM with the Aero bar printed in black, as a scan of an original backflash could easily interpret the dark brown as black. I have only seen the bars dark brown as per photo below.
Attachments
RWaero.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I've always found that backflash odd. Aero was never described as being a "packet" of Aero but always a bar". Aero bars when I was a kid always had very dark brown, and slightly glossy wrappers making it look almost black. There is, sometimes, a black wrapping, the plain choc Aero has a black wrapper but is only made in a limited edition and is quite modern. Although the design of the wrapper did change between 1935 and 1982, the shape stayed the same, so all the slot machines paying out Aeros must have used that original size. In 1982 the Aero was relaunched as a countline bar and became much chunkier.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Interesting comment Paul regarding 'packet' and not bar. The backflash to the machine in the photo is definitely original, so the description of 'packet' was intentional. I wonder if the allwin manufacturers were either not allowed to use the description 'Bar of Aero' or whether they just hedged their bets and called it a packet. Oliver Whales Aero machine states 'Win a Choc' with the Aero bar pictured below. However on the R & W Kit Kat machines it states 'Win a Kit Kat' and no mention of bar or packet appears.

It has always interested me as to whether the allwin manufacturers ever liaised with the confectionary manufacturers with regard to officially using their products on allwins.
datadiffusion

Post by datadiffusion »

Sorry to bump an oldish topic but for the OP looking for Fisher Ludlow History, just in case they didn't find this...

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... f92c1cc8a8

Taken over by Sankeys it seems :)