Early French Allwin

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
jamesfromchalkboard

Early French Allwin

Post by jamesfromchalkboard »

Hi All,

Hope I'm posting this in the right section.

I'm looking for help identifying a French Allwin machine that sold at Elephant House Auctions earlier this year: URL+REMOVED+BY+SITE+ADMIN# ... 243&type=A.

There doesn't appear to be a brand name or any other identifying features. Has anyone come across anything similar?

Thanks in advance!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Early French Allwin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi James and :WELCOME:

135a.jpg

The problem is (and I guess it's why nobody answered your question) there were many small manufacturers of wall machines in France before the war (as in the UK) and not a huge amount has been recorded about their output. There are two excellent French slot machine books (Arcadia Slot Machines of Europe & America and 100 Ans de Machines a Sous), but it doesn't appear in either.

I'm sure it is French because of the pretty floral spandrels, French-style Mazak coin slot, fancy coin cup surround. Difficult to tell because of the dark lacquer it's been smothered in, but I'm guessing the case is walnut (French games are rarely oak).

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd go with Pierre Bussoz, who seems to have been the most prolific maker (ahead of Abel Nau and Paul Béraud).
By French standards, it's relatively unflamboyant, only slightly more decorative than a standard 1930s German allwin.

The close-up below shows the fittings on Bussoz's Le Mille allwin (notice the similar payout handle, trigger plate and cup surround). Nau's Le Coq Phénix also uses this cup surround. In fact, although French makers used diverse bespoke metal fittings (to a greater extent than UK makers), these designs appear on other French makers' allwins, so they're only a hint at best.
Attachments
Close-up Bussoz's Le Mille fittings
Close-up Bussoz's Le Mille fittings
Nau's Le Coq Phénix
Nau's Le Coq Phénix
jamesfromchalkboard

Post by jamesfromchalkboard »

Hi PennyMachines,

Thanks so much for the reply, and your kind welcome!

That is really helpful. I suppose my only follow up question would be, is there anyone you think might be able to identify it? Or is that information likely lost to time?

Thanks again,
James
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Jean Lemaître, the author of 100 Ans de Machines a Sous probably knows more about French machines than anyone. I met him at John Carter's auction almost 20 years ago, but don't have any contact details I'm afraid.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am sure you have all seen the restored output of this machine on eBay today, which sold for a staggering £1371 oh and 10p.... :shock: :shock:

The machine sold a few times at the Elephant, last time earlier this year for £140, with a horrible badly replaced yellow cloth and missing coin chutes.....thank god the cloth has gone. I saw an advert on this site looking for restoring a Allwin for a new tv program and on Facebook groups and see the eBay listing mentions this and that the new owner would have a chance to appear on the program.....I assume the £1000 premium is for the tv opportunity :lol:

It is good that a number of tv shows have been touching on our hobby, with the restorers and salvage hunters both restoring a number of machines...

I guess if I were a critic, my only gripes are the over polishing of the metal work, just don’t look right. I still have one clown catcher with untouched metal work with that glorious deep chocolate brown tone....also paperwork is surely wrong, hinges replaced with large furniture type, Philips screws deployed etc etc......won’t be too hard honest

Nice woodwork though !!THUMBSX2!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/French-Delux ... true&rt=nc
Attachments
9C6B1C7A-CD07-463E-8D5C-EE826481D117.jpeg
D3F71F93-C502-4D5D-B695-87CAA726439C.jpeg
69EC03EA-AE56-47FB-8208-4BAC90E975F0.jpeg
6BCDAB21-E5AD-47F0-BE25-FA124B3ABED6.jpeg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Didn't see this as I mostly visit eBay when someone alerts me to something.
Quite a transformation. Take your point about the polished metalwork, but it had to match the new hinges! Just a shame he didn't fabricate the missing lower female hinges by copying the remaining upper male hinges. But it's all too easy to nit-pick.

For the work he put in, seems a fair price to me. Especially as he says you don't have to appear on TV.

JC

Post by JC »

So who told him the machine dates from the late 1890s?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Does seem a little unlikely when the first known allwin was made in 1900, and didn't have the classic layout of this game. More like late '20s to early '30s I think. Bussoz's credited with making a roulette as early as 1901, when he was 29.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

pennymachines wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:50 pm For the work he put in, seems a fair price to me. Especially as he says you don't have to appear on TV.
Ordinarily the effort put in does not always reflect in a the money return in this game, but bizarrely, as has been seen in the past, some people do like bling and maybe camera razzmatazz in this case. I was unclear if this is just a YouTube channel or will be on a proper TV program. !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Says at the end, "coming to your screens next year, can't mention the dates yet, can't mention the channel yet, unfortunately". I haven't had a TV for several years. Life seems more pleasant without it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I believe TV has more than one connotation these days.
In which case, and merely to keep the record straight ... I've never had a TV.

BP :NBG:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

My TV left me because I used the wrong pronoun. :!?!:
brigham

Post by brigham »

Nick describes the channel as a "...fantastic high profile TV channel".
It probably only exists in his own fantasy land, where the 1890s are still churning out Allwins, complete with THOSE HINGES...!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Max Headroom use to do my head in... :burp:

Nice set of French Allwin hinges by coincidence was added to the list for November’s Elephant auction......me suspects it was not a coincidence given the only thing added last night :D

URL+REMOVED+BY+SITE+ADMIN# ... ?lot=26151
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

think its just me, but i prefer the before picture. looks a century old, but now looks like a nostalgia machine
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Not just you,ds.
special when lit

Allwin restoration

Post by special when lit »

Post moved & merged - Site Admin.

Thought you might like to see this vid I found on Youtube.
Just try & ignore the annoying presenter, & the fact he uses cross head screws to re-assemble....

treefrog

Re: Allwin restoration

Post by treefrog »

See below thread as all highlighted last month......
(Now merged above - Site Admin.)
special when lit

Re: Allwin restoration

Post by special when lit »

Ah, must've missed that!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I see it is finally hitting the television in the new series on restoring old items called “Mend it for money” on Channel 4. The first in series next Monday at 8pm has this Allwin restoration. Something to watch during the lockdown :D