Shefras history

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Shefras history

Post by coppinpr »

Ive just finished a new section for the www.penny-arcade.info site about Shefras, not easy ,their history is foggy and clouded in places,BUT I found a few interesting things not well known. Like all web sites there will be mistakes and any corrections will be welcome.

My main reason for this post is to ask if anyone has any photos of the two new allwin machines issued by Morris Shefras in 1953. " Double Diamond" and "Double Diamond" deluxe, these are interesting as they not only had variable payouts selectable by the operator but variable types of payout. The default DD came with 9 cups ,4 paid cigarettes and 5 paid 1d ,the DD Deluxe was listed as a "24 cup sized machine with 20 cups "(?) 9 paying cigs and 11 paying 1d .Id really like to add photos of these if anyone has any,full credit given to the contributor :cool:

https://www.penny-arcade.info/the-shefras-collection-
arrgee

Re: Shefras history

Post by arrgee »

Found these images Paul in my archives taken from fleebay back in 2008, not particularly good images, but hope they will help, the original ad said the machine was from 1953, can pm you files if required.
Attachments
double diamond 1 .jpg
double diamond 1 .jpg (137.39 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
double diamond 2.jpg
double diamond 2.jpg (159.79 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
double diamond 3.jpg
double diamond 3.jpg (133.02 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

those are perfect,thanks very much!
Im in the middle of an email conversation with Michael Shefras MBE , Michael is the son of Morris Shefras and worked at the company from 1947 to 1990, a lot of interesting new info that is being added as I go along.(im hoping for photos if possible)

Thanks again for the photos,a machine Id like to see ,I wonder what it sold for on Ebay back then.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I recently added this flyer to the Shefras history page on www.penny-arcade.info
Made by Shields and supplied by Philip Shafras it looks to be an interesting and complex machine but what really made me smile was the selling point listed on the flyer
"Simply Beat Fulham to win" :lol:
shields football.jpeg
shields football.jpeg (26.08 KiB) Viewed 2900 times

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

coppinpr wrote:I wonder what it sold for on Ebay back then
Sold for £432 !! which would be around £570 today, according to the Bank of England inflation calculator
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

coppinpr wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:45 pm those are perfect,thanks very much!
Im in the middle of an email conversation with Michael Shefras MBE , Michael is the son of Morris Shefras and worked at the company from 1947 to 1990, a lot of interesting new info that is being added as I go along.(im hoping for photos if possible)

Thanks again for the photos,a machine Id like to see ,I wonder what it sold for on Ebay back then.
Sounds exciting, would be great to get info on the two ventures. Also any info on the so called Mystery Allwins and confirm if from their stable....keep us posted !!THUMBSX2!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'm waiting for clarification but the info I have so far is that Morris sub contracted to have his machines made and Philip did NOT make allwins. As to Philip also contracting out for machines, as I said, waiting for more info. Just posted a great photo of Morris and his sons on the Shefras page of the site courtesy of his grandson Ian.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Some more pictures.
Attachments
Shefras family
Shefras family
Morris Shefras & wife
Morris Shefras & wife
Morris Shefras & others
Morris Shefras & others
Shefras Sweets allwin
Shefras Sweets allwin
Shefras Sweets allwin
Shefras Sweets allwin
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Thanks Mr P. !THUMBS!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Has anyone any info (hopefully a photo) of this machine called "Colourwin" which appeared on a Morris Shefras flyer? Hard to see, but might resemble a Brenner Past the Arrow on the playfield in some ways, although it seems to have an unusual ball run (not a circle).
Attachments
colour win.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »