Tin Pan Alley pusher

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Tin Pan Alley pusher

Post by treefrog »

Thought I would add this, the Cromptons Tin Pan Alley that sold on eBay for £215 last week. Was very tempted as unusual for a single player machine like this, but just yet more work. Looks very 1960s in style, but guess 1970s as on new penny and assume would not have been converted. Looks quite smart and not seen one before.....
Attachments
9FED9F15-6763-46C9-8A3A-9EE3091AE096.jpeg
DB00B351-A12B-4CC6-9E8F-F552D3A06060.jpeg
5287814F-4DA2-4AFC-983E-11D84184B0D2.jpeg
jimmy55

Re: Tin Pan Alley

Post by jimmy55 »

What's the action.... some kind of pusher? Those plastics would look great lit up.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Yes '70s for sure as the artwork is clearly featuring the Black and White Minstrel show which was by far the most popular show on TV between 1958 and 1976 but wasn't known for its lavish costume until shown in colour from 1969. By 1976 it was starting to get a bad name for racism which might be the reason for the name "Tin Pan Alley", the music publishing area of London (Denmark Street) which doesn't fit with the artwork(?)
JC

Post by JC »

jimmy55 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:54 pmWhat's the action.... some kind of pusher?
I'd guess it's a similar game to Cromptons 'Cakewalk'.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Unfortunately one of those themes that I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable with sitting in my home. I guess one could have had a go at changing the back image.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Let's hope it has gone to someone who appreciates it, and not some Philistine who thinks it's OK to airbrush history to fit in with his own narrow viewpoint.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I had not considered the theme to be honest and loved the colours and top marque style. I guess all part of history which I am not a believer of eradicating unnecessarily, although of course probably would not be wise to operate. Also Tin Pan Alley is associated with the US music scene as well and the backflash has dancing girls, music symbols and the minstrels... Key is it is small, maybe why it has survived... Never seen a Cakewalk and assume the lines of coin panels slide in opposites backwards and forwards gigging the coins along either dropping on the sides to the operator or front to the player.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

I was bidding on this but decided at the end I would ruin it if I converted it to old penny. Looks like it was made for new penny. Looks a nice machine though.
brigham

Post by brigham »

If it hadn't been decimal I'd have been all over it.
I simply can't afford the space for any more machines on new money.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

brigham wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:10 pm Let's hope it has gone to someone who appreciates it, and not some Philistine who thinks it's OK to airbrush history to fit in with his own narrow viewpoint.
Some people just don't want really racist stuff in their collection. We see this all the time in pinball collecting: Lots of great old games out there, but it's 2020 and we have to be able to confront and contextualize their racist legacies. For lots of people, that means a diminished interest in the more flagrantly racist graphics.
Last edited by cait001 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

Does anyone have a gameplay video of this machine, or one with a similar mechanism? Curious as to the operation.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I don't know of any videos of this or the well known "Cake walk" which, as Jerry says, most likely had the same action. Both machines have thin, coin-sized gaps running from front to back. These slots moved backwards and forwards (when one was to the front the one next to it was to the back, hence "cake walk"). The coins fell to the back of the playfield when played, where they fell into one of the gaps (or a losing gap). The backward/forward movement of the slots slowly moved the coins forward and eventually winners fell off the front as a payout. At least that's how I remember them. Might have missed something :!?!: A compulsive money grabber of a machine, but not one that looks impressive from the spectator view point which is, perhaps, why there are no videos.
Attachments
cakewalk.JPG
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I remember vividly playing the exact machine that coppinpr has kindly posted an image of. Specifically it was in the Harrison's chain of arcades on Bognor Regis seafront next to Jones Garage. It was a dull machine to play as you could only really win 2 coins at a time. This being reliant on (as they say in the TV show "tipping point") a rider stacking two coins in a column. However, one could wait for maybe a few double coins to get to the edge but profit to the player was very poor. Often as not you would receive one coin back. When the regular Cromptons pusher came along with one single playfield you could easily win more than 10 coins with one push and clear up because control of the coin position landing on upper playfield was relatively easy. Tightly held in playslot with pressure and spinning to right would make coin go left, and vice versa to left. My first motorbike costing 145 pound in 1982 was paid for by waiting and playing stacked 2p coin pushers in my misspent youth.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

The worst thing they ever did with pushers was the automatic 'gate' that activates after a period of inactivity and stops the 'stray' 2ps falling out. My kids loved hunting the arcades for the 'freebies'.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

malcymal wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:41 amMy first motorbike costing 145 pound in 1982 was paid for by waiting and playing stacked 2p coin pushers in my misspent youth.
Now that's a cool story!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Doesn't sound misspent to me. !!CHEERS!! !!CRASH!!
flippa_winna

Re: Tin Pan Alley pusher

Post by flippa_winna »

9022-copper-canyona.jpg

Well blow me down... as some of you here may well be aware I am STILL in the process of writing a book about coin pushers. I have been doing research for over 10 years and I never knew of this machine's existence until now.
The cabinet is identical to that of the single player pusher 'Copper Canyon', so helps with dating it. I would date it to the very early seventies, probably quite soon after complete decimalisation took place.
Does anyone happen to know the seller or new buyer because I would very much like to include a photograph in my book and would be happy to credit their name with the photo?
Attachments
9022a.jpeg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

jimmy55 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:31 am The worst thing they ever did with pushers was the automatic 'gate' that activates after a period of inactivity and stops the 'stray' 2ps falling out. My kids loved hunting the arcades for the 'freebies'.
Not from the operator's point of view, stopped all those gaining anything from banging the sides and tipping them.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

Put me down for a pre-order on that coin pusher book.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

malcymal wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:41 am I remember vividly playing the exact machine that coppinpr has kindly posted an image of. Specifically it was in the Harrison's chain of arcades on Bognor Regis seafront next to Jones Garage.
Ted Harrison also owned Clacton Pier and he had about eight of these Crompton Cakewalk pushers in the arcade up to 2009. He sold the pier that year and I can’t remember if it was shortly before or after the sale that all of them were scrapped. It was so sad seeing them left outside at the end of the season and then skipped. ☹️

Ted told me that he bought an arcade in early 2000 that had been abandoned for many years. I seem to recall he said it was in Cornwall. It was full of vintage machines. He said that he dumped them and told me that to him it was all about business and getting the arcade re-fitted and making money as quickly as possible. Ted passed away in 2017. I wish I’d invested more time in recording his story. Did anyone here know him?