Indian Fakir Working Model

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
hottoddy

Indian Fakir Working Model

Post by hottoddy »

Does anyone know who made this Working Model?
Attachments
1-3.jpg
12-1.jpg
17.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Working Model

Post by badpenny »

Sorry I can't help with your question, but how come the top banner has changed from photo one to two yet the barometer (or whatever it is) suggests it's the same view? :o

Easily confused of Lincoln
hottoddy

Post by hottoddy »

Thanks Badpenny for your reply. The second photo is a side view. Both sides have the same "Indian Fakir" marquee/sign with the front having the "It's Amazing" sign.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

What is the Amazing thing Mr. I.F. does?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

hottoddy wrote:yet the barometer (or whatever it is) suggests it's the same view?
Badpenny, I thought this was a coin-op forum!? Judging by the base of that "Baromoter" I'd say it's a barometer of body weight not atmospheric conditions!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Ah ....... I see now, it weighs the weather ...... cunning!

It still doesn't explain how it manages to warp itself around corners though, unless OP turned the case of the working model around for the second photo? Have I had my breakfast yet? Where are my slippers? Will somebody please tell the poor lad who made his machine?
jingle

Post by jingle »

hi tody
is the pictures of the workings you
can add
hottoddy

Post by hottoddy »

Thanks Jingle for bringing us back to the topic. !!THUMBSX2!!

I have yet to see this "Amazing" machine in action and I do not know all of its functions. Fakirs are Indian holy men who possess powers (or you could say magicians), so I assume there's a few tricks being performed.
Attachments
117.jpg
120.jpg
116.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi, :D looking at the cabinet and the mech I think this machine started its life as a Mutomatic Electric Travelling Crane, and was most likely converted to a working model in the late 1940s as was the practice at that time. Once you get it working I think it will most likely perform the magic rope trick. As to who converted it? My money “if I had any” would be on the legendary Mr Bolland !THUMBS!
But, as always I could be wrong. :oops:

PS. Have you signed the petiton?
Petition UK Gov to exempt pre-decimal slot machines
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/36659
Thanks in advance...
hottoddy

Post by hottoddy »

Thank you slotalot for your infinite wisdom. !!CHEERS!! I was torn between Kraft and Bolland, but Bolland and his Claw/Digger machine cabinets makes perfect sense. This is the best Coin-op site in the world. !!YIPPEE!!
tim575

Post by tim575 »

Hello, I am new to this forum. I acquired an "Indian Fakir" at auction and from the photos appears to be the same unit. Material of the figures inside and construction is unlike Bolland machines, I have a Bolland Miser in my collection. I believe this "Indian Fakir" was made by the Samson Novelty Co. (founded by Holloway), as there were a couple small labels for light compartment doors with their stock sticker. I found reference that Samson Novelty absorbed International MutoScope Co assets in 1937 and this appears to be a conversion of an International MutoScope electric traveling crane. I can only find reference to Samson Novelty getting into working models by the 50's but no mention of what models they produced or refurbished. It does do the Indian rope trick using the Peppers Ghost Illusion method (45 degree glass and hidden compartment with switched light source), I have manually cranked it through the sequence but I don't dare apply power to it until I get the wiring on the motor restored. I am still looking for any further reference to Samson Novelty working models.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi tim575 welcome to the forum, we seem to have had a lot of new members recently and it's great to welcome another.

Models working or not aren't my area, however we have some experts who aren't on duty at the moment, I'm sure one will be along soon.

Also I'm sure one of the first comments will be PHOTOS PLEASE.

BP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Even better - VIDEOS PLEASE - once you've fixed the motor.

Welcome to the Forum. Sorry I can't throw any light on the Fakir. As I'm sure you know, Samson Novelty Company were chiefly distributors of other manufacturers' product so their badge appears on many machines of diverse origin. Something more definitive is needed really, but I take your point about the Mutoscope connection.
coppinpr

Re: Indian Fakir Working Model

Post by coppinpr »

Always reminds me of one of the best lines from a Carry On film. In carry on Up the Khyber, Sid James says when he's seen enough of the Fakir performance "Fakir off" to which Cardue Robinson (the fakir) replies, "OK, OK, no need to be rude."

Second only to the line in Cleo when the priest (Jon Pertwee) incants "Isis great Isis" to which the Briton (Ken Connor) replies " thereee lovely."

Not relevant, but as I said, it reminded me. !!THUMBSX2!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I have a feeling your Fakir is probably the same one that belonged to the late John Gresham. I've just looked but can't seem to find any photos as I thought I had at least one with it in the background amongst his enormous collection? I remember it being untouched and awfully dirty. I did check that one out and it used the Peppers Ghost illusion.
tim575

Post by tim575 »

After several years of storage, I had some time to work on this machine last week. Pulled out the model, repaired it and the cabinet, new glass, motor rebuild, complete rewire, and added step up transformer to run off 120VAC in the US. It is now in working condition. Remaining is to fabricate replacements for missing side doors and restore the top marquees.

Video of operation:

Attachments
Re-asm-IMG_3479a.jpg
Rewireda.jpg
Motor-aftera.jpg
Motor-reworka.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Lovely, just my kind of thing, interesting theme, likely unique model. Far more complex mechanism than first expected from the outside, my only criticism is it's a shame it wasn't of the same calibre as Canova or Lee inside the scene as the Fakir theme really lent itself to something like an ornate Indian temple, and that would have made it pop.
tim575

Post by tim575 »

Restored the top side Marquees and created a front Marquee in the same style of the side. All that remains is to have some replacement side doors made and finished to blend in with the cabinet. As far as I can find, this was a unique model of unknown maker, and I only found one other reference to a working model using Pepper's Ghost illusion. I would have expected that to be more common.
Attachments
Marquee-restoreda.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Great job, it's nice to see a working model out of decades of storage and restored and working again. Especially a unique one such as this one.
It's also nice when these can be back out in the public domain where they can be seen working, enjoyed and played on, rather than ending up locked away in a private collection.
tim575

Post by tim575 »

Replacement side doors in place in the same style as the original cabinet which completed restoration of this working model, it now sits alongside other crane conversions in one of my game rooms. Still is "maker unknown", I can estimate some of the likely owner trail of collectors, but not the original maker. I have not seen any old photos of this machine online or in publications/books so far. If anyone comes across an old photo with it please let me know.
Attachments
Indian Fakir restore complete
Indian Fakir restore complete