Jennings Governor problems

General vintage slot machine related topics.
tomo55

Jennings Governor problems

Post by tomo55 »

Hi,
I am rebuilding my Jennings and have now got the lights and mechanism working. The mechanism works fine when it's outside the cabinet, but when I install it the handle doesn't work correctly and the machine then jams or just has a loose action to the lever. On removing the base plate I found a piece laying near the pump. It's shaped like a twin fork with a hook end on it. Besides there being loads of loose nuts around the handle, I assume that this piece is the problem. Does anyone have a pic of where it should fit or describe where it goes?
Thanks
bri
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Jennings Governor problems

Post by badpenny »

In cases of identifying something a photo really helps.
Being someone who has spent a crazy amount of time and effort in the past pouring over books trying to recognise a bit of gubbins ..... only to find it's not from a slot machine, I know we could guess it immediately or spend weeks.
I remember once visiting a fellow collector (remember when we could do that?) He told me about a piece he couldn't recognise and had no idea where it went. He produced a length of thin aluminium with a splayed flat end, and at the other end was a tube displaying a thin slot cut into it from end to end.
T'was years later somebody else identified it as a fisherman's hook disgorger. I can only imagine somebody was either trying to hook up a spring with it or poking an errant coin before dropping it.

BP !SHERLOCK!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:59 pm ...someone who has spent a crazy amount of time and effort in the past pouring over books...
I'm not going to ask what you're pouring over them... :o
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

.... it's my soap and I'll wash it as fast as I like.
Thank you
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As BP says, when he's not washing his............books - post a photo and all will be revealed. If, as you say, the mech is perfect outside the case, then it has to be the handle/pump area., If you had not mentioned the spare part I would have suggested the mech is not being fitted into the case correctly. This sounds impossible, but I have two Jennings that are particularly obstinate about welcoming their mechs back home. The handle wants to sit on the wrong side of the push bar, but let's look at that piece first.
tomo55

Post by tomo55 »

Thanks for the replies. I hope these pics help.
Attachments
DSCN0677a.jpg
DSCN0676a.jpg
DSCN0675a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

no, dont recognise it , can we see a photo of that side of the machine,to see if anything is missing?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It certainly looks like a machine part, formed from a single punched out shape and then folded in probably one swell foop!
Even the gauge of metal looks right.
However I don't recognise it or have any suggestions to make regarding its antecedents, other than to comment on its possible intention.

tampered with..jpg
tampered with..jpg (50.69 KiB) Viewed 3733 times

A cam of some description entering in the direction of the red arrow would move the gubbins up in a circular motion around the pin traversing the hole. That would release the captured lever, which would drop. Resetting the cycle would merely require pressure being applied to the bottom of the captured lever.

We have engineers on board this forum, what do they reckon?
The only suggestion I can postulate is a trip for a side vendor? I only know Mills side vendor trips and they look nothing like this.

BP !PUZZLED!
tomo55

Post by tomo55 »

Thank you for the replies. I've included some pics of the mechanism as suggested.
Attachments
DSCN0714a.jpg
DSCN0713a.jpg
DSCN0712a.jpg