Indian Fakir Working Model

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
john t peterson

Re: Indian Fakir Working Model

Post by john t peterson »

Wow! What a line up of interesting working models. If you have time now, Tim, seeing as we're all stuck inside looking at our four walls, it would be great if you could produce a video going down the line, showing the operation of each machine.

Just a suggestion.

J Peterson
Easily suggested in the United States of Arrested Development. !!USA!!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

That's a tantalising photo. Does the line of working models go all around the rest of the room? !!YIPPEE!!
tim575 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:47 pm Still is "maker unknown", I can estimate some of the likely owner trail of collectors, but not the original maker.
We still haven't determined the original maker of the Charlie and Mabel either.
tim575

Post by tim575 »

Most Working Models are on that one wall, although there is an English Execution on the other side of the room. I have 3 rooms of games, total of 2,500 square feet, over 100 machines. Separated into a 1930's penny arcade theme (1896-1945), with the non-US ones in the side room (working models, Ruffler & Walker 2-player racers etc) and a downstairs area in a 1960's arcade theme (1940-1975). The Indian Fakir, Charlie and Mabel, and English Execution all came indirectly or directly from Todd's collection in 2013-2015. I would say the Indian Fakir is older, 40's or 50's, and Charlie is not as old, could be 50's but I would guess 60's based on how they were converted and materials used.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Thanks for the info, very interesting, sounds like a great collection, just my kind of thing.
tim575

Post by tim575 »

Looking over some old posts I noticed I never added the information a year ago to wrap this one up.
Based on leads from Moonriver for sightings of similar working models it turns out there is one other Indian Fakir in the Davenport collection. Based on restoration photos of markings in/on it, I think it is most likely these were made by Samson Novelty and not just distributed by them. That collection also had another peppers ghost illusion with similar style of marquee that did a magic trick of sawing a woman in half. Some of the top/side marquee for the Davenport one were missing and recreated, but the main front one is original and I have good pics of it. Now I just need to find an old school signwriter to create one in that style for mine. Problem is finding a real signwriter, all the ones that used paint and brush seem to have retired during the pandemic, the ones left in business now all use computer printed vinyl or paper which is not acceptable for restoration use and signwriting is unique with the lettering + graphics, not your usual art painting work.
http://www.davenportcollection.co.uk/co ... od_id=1224