Brenner "Ball Past The Arrow"

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Brenner "Ball Past The Arrow"

Post by badpenny »

As a hotel wasn't it run by Basil and Sybil?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey, I think I have to occasionally post something that might interest a few users here. I get so much fun, and have gotten so much help from the site, that I think you have to be willing to give at least as much in return. In a perfect world I'd post a lot more, but keeping a close track and writing down what I get up to is a major chore at best! Every day at least something of interest (at least to me) happens on the workbenches. I can verbally explain things no problem till the cows come home, but making sense of complicated information in the written word is not so easy. In fact at one point a long time ago someone overseas offered to actually post over a mini tape player to tell that particular story they wanted from me, and they would then write the story! But I think that particular job was past history to me so I'd lost interest by that time and nothing ever happened. Over 20 years ago I even started compiling a book on Australian made machines and overseas made pieces with Aussie theming of some kind. I'd amassed a pretty interesting collection myself and had all of Bob Klepners info at hand too, but slowly the reality of having to make sense of it all killed my enthusiasm. So much easier to just walk into the workshop and things magically happen all by themselves!! :o :!?!: !OMFG!
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Please keep posting. I, for one, really enjoy reading your accounts of how you restore machines, and how you overcome problems. You are a fountain of knowledge, and a huge asset to this site.
    !THANKS!
    john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I've known Gamewat for many years. He is a genius. What makes him so unusual is his ability and willingness to share his knowledge with all the rest of us. You rock, Boy! !THUMBS! !THUMBS! !THUMBS!

J Peterson
    Fanboy, USA
    arrgee

Ball Past The Arrow

Post by arrgee »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Up for sale at the moment on eBay - not seen a token payout on a Brenner B.P.T.A before, maybe an operator mod?
    Label in top left of glass appears to say 'The Property of Colchester Automatic Machine Co'
    Attachments
    brenner-1a.jpg
    brenner-1a.jpg (136.58 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
    brenner-2a.jpg
    brenner-2a.jpg (186.87 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
    brigham

Re: Ball Past The Arrow

Post by brigham »

Surely an after-market conversion.
    The hand-fill 5-tube payout resembles one from a two-bob/half crown coin changer, with the electrical gear removed.
    VERY professional from the outside, except for the two coin-slots, which say 'BODGE' very loudly.
    treefrog

Re: Ball Past The Arrow

Post by treefrog »

More like the Saxony multi tube on their allwins…

The Colchester company were very close to me and seemed to be in operation till at least the eighties and seemed to supply local fairground and amusement industry. I have had a few items from them.
    Attachments
    93FD42DA-A559-4FEF-B98E-4E44F0EC6346.jpeg
    93FD42DA-A559-4FEF-B98E-4E44F0EC6346.jpeg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
    pennymachines
    Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I recall daveslot once owned a token payout Ball Past the Arrow. Of course, it could be the same machine. As these were made from 1937, when token payout still provided a fig leaf of legitimacy, this could be the way it was manufactured. German-made allwins from the period sometimes had the dual token/penny slots with token payout. Whether they were supplied like that by J&M for the British market, I don't know.

brigham

Post by brigham »

There are dual coin slots, and there are BODGES...
    pennymachines
    Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

There's certainly some bodging around the token coin entry/upper hinge and filled lock holes above and below the new lock, but otherwise the door appears original. If this was a post-manufacture alteration, I'd expect to see a filled area (internal and external) in the door where the payout cup moved from the standard central position. Also, the cast aluminium token channeling matches the penny channeling.
    arrgee

Post by arrgee »

The coin and token channels seem to be an all-in-one combination/joint unit. The puzzling item (apart from the apparent clumsy juxtaposition) is that the coin entry and token entry slot castings are of differing materials. I wonder if this is a very early version of this machine by Brenner, predating the type we are used to seeing. The hinges, trigger, trigger plate and payout cup all appear brass and not the usual chrome finish of these machines. This, together with the token payout, all seem to echo the then typical reserve allwin style of the 1920/30s.
    pennymachines
    Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think it is very early. My first Ball Past the Arrow was the earliest version which had a large 'tap handle' knob on the left which you had to turn to set the arrow.
    Further confirming that the token-play-and-pay was a Brenner product, here's an unrestored one from Elephant House auction 2015. It also has the tall, thin hinges and a token slot which doesn't match the style of the penny slot. Using a readily available off-the-shelf part makes economic sense.
    Attachments
    255.jpg
    255.jpg (176.34 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
    arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Just beat me to it Mr pm, found this image of the same machine from Elephant House 2015 auction.

So there are at least two of these token machines out there. I have also discovered that the machine I posted a few days back was sold in 2017 at Reeman Dansie Auctions
    Attachments
    brenner BPTA 5.jpg
    brenner BPTA 5.jpg (339.56 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
    brenner.jpg
    brenner.jpg (239.92 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
    arrgee

Post by arrgee »

pennmachines wrote:My first Ball Past the Arrow was the earliest version which had a large 'tap handle' knob on the left which you had to turn to set the arrow.
    Like this one Mr pm, which I think was at Coventry in 2018
    Attachments
    brenner turn knob.jpg
    brenner turn knob.jpg (328.56 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
    pennymachines
    Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, although the example above wasn't mine.
    arrgee wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:49 pm I have also discovered that the machine I posted a few days back was sold in 2017 at Reeman Dansie Auctions
    I can see from that image that the upper hinge isn't bodged, but they had to shave some off the right edge of the lower slot to make it fit.
    Attachments
    dual-slots.jpg
    dual-slots.jpg (22.07 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
    brigham

Post by brigham »

What a disaster!
    One could attract less attention walking around with one's trousers down.
    Whatever was George Brenner thinking of?
    arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Unresolved innovation.

This happens so often in the world of design. Innovation first, aesthetics second.
    trekkie66

Post by trekkie66 »

Hello :tarah:

I acquired a Brenner Fun "Ball Past The Arrow" machine that is in need of repair/reassembly and could not find a lot of content on this particular model. I am hoping someone out there might have additional photos/video on the inner workings of the machine.

I made some progress with figuring out what pieces go where and everything from what I can tell is complete. I had to make a new wire rod that attaches to the coin swivel plate to the payout bar. The original was broken at the point where the cotter pin holds the wire rod to the payout bar.

1. I am trying to figure out how the machine gets reset when the coin is inserted. Right now all that happens is the coin stopper/blocker drops when coin passes through. I believe all other functions will fall in-place if I can figure this part out. But other issues include:

2. ball not dropping when pulling on lever (I can push on the bar in the back to force the ball to fall). I tried adjusting the bar.

3. The bar that locks the wheel in place does not move to the left all the way to release the wheel when pushing on the play lever. I can push the bar further out to the left to free the wheel.

The payout works when winning on a play.

Attaching some photos of the current state of the machine at different angles. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I plan to take a detailed video of the inner workings once I figure this out and post for others to reference. Thank you!
    Attachments
    Screenshot_20230615_093310_Photos_17411005422886a.jpg
    Screenshot_20230615_093310_Photos_17411005422886a.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 768 times
    Screenshot_20230615_093331_Photos_17410894122678a.jpg
    Screenshot_20230615_093331_Photos_17410894122678a.jpg (56.77 KiB) Viewed 768 times
    Resized_Screenshot_20230615_093249_Photos(1)a.jpg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230615_093249_Photos(1)a.jpg (117.36 KiB) Viewed 768 times
    Resized_Screenshot_20230615_093236_Photosa.jpg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230615_093236_Photosa.jpg (112.94 KiB) Viewed 768 times
    Resized_Screenshot_20230615_093218_Photosa.jpg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230615_093218_Photosa.jpg (181.79 KiB) Viewed 768 times
    Last edited by trekkie66 on Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
    trekkie66

Post by trekkie66 »

After a few hours I finally got it. Some of the mechanisms had to be in the correct position for everything to work at once.

There are a few minor issues with it such as the coins jamming ( maybe this takes a token and not a half-dollar coin? ) when paying out, need to find a new nut to secure a bolt for the ball release lever, as well as getting a third screw for the arrow but overall it is working.

I recorded a short clip of front and interior while playing and plan to do picture-in-picture. I will upload when I have a chance.

Thank you, Aaron
    arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Well done Aaron, look forward to seeing the video.
    Does your machine have the penny and token entry slots?