Sega Bonanza Star Reel Bands

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
grains

Sega Bonanza Star Reel Bands

Post by grains »

Hi,

I'm currently working on a Sega Bonanza Star project and have started to look at the mech which is working but has some reel bands that have been grafted together. I plan to map the reels and check the payouts against the award card but before starting please could someone confirm if star symbols are the correct graphic? As pictures of some other machines I have seen use £ symbols, also is this the correct award card for the machine?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
2QPJ8ikl.jpg
t5BLD6zl.jpg
aristomatic

Re: Sega Bonanza Star Reel Bands

Post by aristomatic »

If you tap "Sega Bonanza help needed please" into search box you will find a thread with usual help/advice/info/nonsense etc,

And if you just tap in "Sega Bonanza" you'll find lots of other threads that cover it. That lurking grape symbol I think may well be off a Sega Starline reel bundle...?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

All the Bonanza Stars I've had displayed the £ symbol, which means absolutely nothing of course. I can remember when London Buses used to have Bisto written on the outside but they didn't have it inside.

Probably at sometime a 12 year old helping out at his Uncle's arcade in Paignton grabbed a Sega/Mills mech. and shoved it into the nearest case.

BP.... 65yrs and 10mths but mentally still 12.
grains

Post by grains »

Thank you the replies and advice much appreciated.
The payout slide stack appears correct 2 coin, 3 coin, 5 coin, 4 coin, 4 coin which matches the values 2, 5, 10, 14 & 18 payouts on the card.

KJn70pvl.jpg

The reels are 20 stop and the bands are mostly wrong so I have started to map the discs in order to re-create the bands correctly but wanted to confirm the order of the fingers in the comb particularly the higher paying awards Star, Bar, Melon and 27 way £ symbol.
In the picture below does 1 = cherries, 2 = oranges, 3 = plums, 4 = bells etc? I'm unsure of the order for the other fingers as these all appear to pay Jackpot.
I will take some more photos at the base of the vertical levers to check the cut outs for which horizontal levers are tripped.
A couple of questions please:-
Do the 27 way £ symbols have a longer arc cut in the disc to accommodate stopping potions above and below the pay-line?
Do the £ symbols normally pay 18 coins as per the graphic on the topper panels or was this configurable?
There is no token award on the mech so are the deeper slots on the a couple of the teeth per payout disc unused?
Cheers
Attachments
uDqTIiPl.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

As has been suggested it looks like a mix and match, I suspect even the award card may be one of those replacement ones sold at the auctions. Should be easy, as you say, to map out each award to the discs. Write them down and I will confirm what is needed.

Your last three points: 'yes' to each.

I cannot see the deeper cut for the token award win. You'll notice it if it has one, as it's much deeper than the other slots. Maybe the reel bundle was changed.
grains

Post by grains »

Thanks Treefrog,
The deeper cuts appear on 3 adjacent teeth of each payout disc which made me think perhaps this was the payout mechanism for the 27 way £ symbol.
I cannot see any elongated arcs that would cover 3 positions on the payout discs.

8PnQeYola.jpg

I have checked the vertical levers to see which slides are tripped and this is the order I have worked out so far.

BeTA6h2ha.jpg

Levers 5, 6 & 7 Pay 18 coins and trip the Jackpot slide so hopefully I can work out the Bar position based on the wide window cut into disc 3 combines for the 3 of a kind Orange, Plum and Bell with the Bar acting as wild on reel 3.
Do Melons or Stars form part of a Mystery award that I would allow me to confirm the final 2 positions on the payout comb?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have not seen three token cuts in the pay discs before or maybe I have just not paid attention. Yes, it looks like this will pay a token on Criss Cross, that is of course if you have token parts.

Normally you get a win on the slides as well to whatever is the award. The bars are normally the farthest finger position and the other two will be probably star/pound and melon.

Your positions for token are not consistent - two pay different award positions and one is blank. Maybe there is a model out there that covers this machine.

Also your machine looks to be 20 coin payout. I am sure I can see a 2 coin slide at the top.
grains

Post by grains »

Thanks Treefrog,
Good news! You are 100% correct the top slide does pay the 2 additional coins as well as triggering the Jackpot, so it is the 20 coin payout.
Now the not so good news... I think the reel bundle is a mix and match as suggested. I have mapped it out several times and there are a few combinations that just don't make sense:-
Payout disc 2 has no deep cut adjacent positions for the 27 way token.
Bar Position on reel 3 pays for also pays for the Star which seems quite odd as there is no separate Star position. Vertical Finger 6 is the Bar and 7 is the Star.
There are losing positions on all reels which I have listed as Lemons these aren't covers that can be removed from the disc.

R1 R2 R3
Org Org Bel
Chy Chy Plu
Plu Plu Lem
Bel Lem Bel
Lem Org Lem
Plu Chy Plu
Lem Bel Bar / Sta
Org Plu Lem
Plu Bel Bel
Chy Mel Lem
Sta Org Lem
Bel Chy Mel
Lem Bar Bel
Plu Plu Lem
Bar Bel Bel
Plu Chy Org
Chy Sta Bel
Org Org Lem
Mel Chy Bel
Plu Bel Org

It's been a good learning curve, but I think I might keep an eye out for a 27 way Bonanza reel bundle.