Cigarette allwin lock and other questions

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
geofflove

Cigarette allwin lock and other questions

Post by geofflove »

So having had a splurge on a few machines, this is the allwin in need of TLC. Does anyone know the make/rough age of this one? Interestingly, no turn handle to get your fag - the ball dropping just rolls the dispenser to drop the cig.

I need to make a new money door for the bottom and I plan to strip and re-finish the case. So questions....

The lock is currently in a locked position and there is no key. Is it possible/easy/cheap to obtain a new key (suspect not) or do I replace the lock. Either way I'll need a similar lock for the new door at the bottom. Is there a source for similar locks? New ones which have a similar look - i.e. not bright chrome etc? What would you do?

The players label etc have obviously been replaced at some time (not recently). Should I try to recreate something to cover the entire area here or would you leave as is?
If anyone has any idea, info or pics of similar it would be good to see/hear! Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_4068.jpg
IMG_4067.jpg
IMG_4066.jpg
IMG_4065.jpg
tallstory

Re: Alwin lock and other questions

Post by tallstory »

I would send the lock away to one of the locksmiths listed in the Services section of the forum. It looks to be a simple lock so it shouldn't cost too much to cut a key and you get to keep the original lock. It's probably worth phoning them first to check they are open because of the you-know-what virus.
gameswat

Re: Alwin lock and other questions

Post by gameswat »

The cashbox locks on these earlier machines are usually the larger Yale types as they weren't so bothered with people getting into the upper mech.
Attachments
allwin-dlx-fronta.jpg
geofflove

Re: Allwin lock and other questions

Post by geofflove »

Ahh ok. I assumed the locks were the same but makes sense. That might make the second easier to sort i guess....
I'll look up the suppliers list for locksmiths. Cheers
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

It cost me £15 last year to have a key made for the door of my Oliver Whales Easy Perm.
At a locksmiths in Brighouse , W.Yorks.
It keeps the machine original.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Ah thanks - sounds good value.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, always much better (and usually cheaper) to pick the lock and cut new keys. A good locksmith will do it or, if you're ambitious, you can learn to do it yourself. The game door locks on these are in short supply; the Yale-type cash door locks are easier to source.

Here's one like yours, spotted on eBay. The locks have been replaced (decent fit, but detract from originality). The cigarette front plate looks good though.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
cu.jpg
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Good spot! My (obviously replaced) navy cut sign on mine fell off the other day and interestingly revealed the exact same blue coloured gunk underneath as the sign on this one to I assume the exact same sign was there originally. I don’t suppose anyone has seen an original image I could recreate it from? Any idea of the make of this machine?

I’d also wondered about re chroming the handle, pay cup and coin insert on mine. However the quote I got was over £ 120. Don’t know if that is typical or not but seems steep. But what do I know? Made me think I might leave them ‘aged’!

I’ve finished work on the case and new glass coming tomorrow so I might complete later this week.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Ps. I’m not a smoker and chocolate cigarettes appear to be outlawed now. So what to put in it?
Currently thinking of getting some matchmakers and a packet of fag papers to wrap them in.....!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

geofflove wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:28 pmAny idea of the make of this machine?
No, I'm afraid. Both Oliver Whales and Philip Shefras appear to have made versions using a cigarette packet gallery, but both are manual payout machines.

Oliver Whales Players Please

Unknown make with auto payout mechanism

geofflove wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:28 pm ...new glass coming tomorrow so I might complete later this week.
Just out of interest, what's wrong with the original glass? When I started collecting, I routinely replaced glass as part of a restore, thinking "glass is glass". Now that I appreciate the technology has changed subtly, and original glass is part of the machine, like the lock, cabinet etc., I only replace if necessary, and for treasured games will seek out period glass.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Cut-down pencils wrapped with Rizla paper make good 'alternative' cigarettes, without the danger of chocolate.
(Must get our priorities right!)
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for the pics. Helpful to see a few variations in terms of labels too. Interestingly, although the bottom machine is different to mine the payout mech looks identical so I guess maybe this was the same maker or maybe some makers bought in 'stock' mechanics?

In terms of the glass, it's not really visible in the pics but a corner of it was broken off. Not much but JUST enough for the hole to poke out beyond the rebate in the door. I wouldn't have changed it otherwise.

I think I'm going to need to change the image in mine as it doesn't fit properly and just doesn't look like it belongs really. I can't find an image like the 'Players please, one cigarette' but I guess I could try to recreate it in photoshop. Or I could do something with one of these images... I guess it depends how purist you want to be. What would you do?

56-57 John Player - Fixture Booklet -0026.jpg

1950s-usa-players-magazine-advert,2429776.jpg

advert-players-cigs-1930-A31RJE.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

special when lit

Post by special when lit »

geofflove wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:31 pm Ps. I’m not a smoker and chocolate cigarettes appear to be outlawed now. So what to put in it?
Currently thinking of getting some matchmakers and a packet of fag papers to wrap them in.....!
I've got a cig payout machine in the 'to do' pile, I was going to use wooden dowel & paint them white.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200mm-Wooden ... 1977630638
Attachments
DSCF1097a.jpg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Old- ... 4902.l9144

PLAYERS FAG PACKETS.jpg

Would this be any use? Some machines just have a fag packet on display, like the Bryans Six Or More. I wondered if a 20 pack would be big enough, or you could scan it and print it out the right size.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for pointing that out. That’s an idea. I’ve actually been doing a little work in photoshop and am getting it printed onto card. I’ll see what it looks like otherwise this could be a plan...! Thanks
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Cigarette allwin lock and other questions

Post by pennymachines »

As I have one of these to do, I've had a go at the graphic. I couldn't match the decorative flourish without redrawing it, so I used a bit of off-the-shelf (google images) Art Nouveau.

Cigarettes-Please3.gif
Cigarettes-Please3.gif (11.17 KiB) Viewed 3578 times

The cabinet is very much in the style of Wonders, with the pyramidal top and fluted edges.
Attachments
Cigs-Please.jpg
geofflove

Cigarettes Please allwin front plate

Post by geofflove »

Looks good! I’ve gone a bit off piste with mine... I’m having it printed on a moonpig card at this was the most cost effective option. We will see how it turns out!

That machine is identical to mine. Interesting to see the lock on the right of the cash box. My cash box cover was missing so have had to remake that part.

I got a better quote for chroming so have sent the externals off for plating.

The ‘pennies’ only sign is missing on mine too. Anyone have a source for these?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

No cashbox in mine either. Did you have one to copy?
See Pennies Only labels in Resources.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Ah great thanks. No I didn’t have a box to copy. I’ve just done an oak front plate and will pop a lock into it. No box as such, just a locking front panel. Not sure what the original was like.