Looking forward....

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
aristomatic

Looking forward....

Post by aristomatic »

Lockdown is it over? Well almost. Noble efforts from NHS and key workers too. Seems a long time ago auctions cancelled, but they say elephants never forget? Expect a stampede, craning of necks and shooting from the hip and or chests. No Captain/Major Tom, nor Donald but if I heard right, friends Zippy & Bungle? Anne & Shay for sure and extend an invitation for Alfie. Mind over Matter or is it David v Goliath? It's fun just working it out... Haway the Lads! as Football resumes.
malcymal

Re: Looking forward....

Post by malcymal »

Well, lockdown over, it is and it isn't. I guess it depends on your mindset and risk to yourself and others about whether you take the plunge and think it's back to normal. So it's your decision if it's really over; my mum is shielding and she's been advised in a few weeks time she can go out. She has no immunity, nothing has really changed, the virus is out there. A little bit of virus, a lot of virus, makes no difference, it's how it all started with a little bit.

I went to work yesterday. I do two shifts at a special needs school and the other days work from home. I get coughed on, sneezed on, once in a while jumped on. The conditions of children with autism means some have no concept of danger, so I'm in a risky environment. As a key worker I returned to work two weeks after lockdown, having been very ill two weeks before, with all the symptoms; of course they wouldn't test me, I had to isolate. Having got swine flu in 2009 confirmed, this was what I would describe as a heavy man flu experience. Having whatever I got in March was something I have never experienced and wouldn't want to go through what was a very frightening thing and debilitating. I haven't written about it on here before but I want to share it as it really impacted my mental state at the time, so apologies if it depresses. Having asthma and hypertension issues I am a bit vulnerable. So my mindset is, I will venture into shops if it's essential to what I need. So this has been things like decorating materials to do house, medicines etc. I've done everything online where possible, buying scooter parts to do my upgrade etc. and some bits for one slot too. Yesterday lunchtime out of curiosity, I ventured into Chichester. Hardly any traffic on the roads, car parks empty spaces (this place is normally packed at 12.30). Walking into town there was hardly any activity and, to my surprise, the shoppers who were out were senior citizens, wearing masks, as couples. It was like an early Sunday morning shop out, quiet. Confidence to resume normal life is going to take a very long time. Although I haven't had an antibody test, my doctor is convinced that I had it, and due to my past experience of being ill so am I. So as to auctions, I think this is one area where in our community, pennyslots, it could be done safely. If numbers were established of who would attend then one could space out the auction room to distance. Ventilation of windows doors left open. Machines could be wiped down after inspection of touching. Maybe proxy bids already put in? Internet?

Having gone through what I have, I'd be prepared to go into an auction room - you got to start living at some point and balance what you do, where you go according to your own assessment of the situation.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I'm booked to view the Noble's auction at Gateshead (as mentioned hereon) this afternoon.
Does anyone want me to look at anything while I'm there?
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Thanks for your post Malc,
Interesting to see your viewpoint and insight to your selfless positive efforts during the crisis.
However...... I had opened this thread, as a cryptic observation of an event, discussed in a subsequent thread opened by BP. His thread title alluded to the same event, in that "we mustn't talk about"

https://www.pennymachines.co.uk/Forum/v ... 270#p58265

My thread was about me talking about it/highlighting it... without actually mentioning it.....
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Crikey all too cryptic for me, nice offer there Brigham, mind you always a challenge if you both want the same machine. :lol:

Interesting as to whether everyone would have the confidence to stand in a packed auction room, when and if that will happen. I have no idea what this auction are doing, but most I have seen opening are limiting by appointment viewings, drop offs and collections and leaving commission bids, phone or internet. Maybe it would be great if the online services reduced their rates, but a number of auction Houses are now offering their own free online bidding services, probably the way to go.

I have heard of some people who have had terrible experiences from the virus with ongoing issues. My niece got it who is a front line Covid doctor and hardly noticed, but had to follow guide lines and was back on front line immediately after isolation.....I suspect a number of us old chaps fall into risky categories. :#:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I'd rather be in an auction room with all you guys on here because there is a trust and mutual respect of each other. We are all sensible rationale people. It's far better than being bumped into by ignorant selfish strangers in supermarkets who don't follow the floor markings and don't give a flying fig for anybody. Aristomatic, my apologies for hijacking your thread. !!THUMBSX2!!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Cool Malc
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

aristomatic wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:03 pmCool Malc
Thanks for your kind words earlier Aristomatic. I'd certainly like to know more about the curious auction too! I notice that green shield stamp paying machines were mentioned. I remember playing on of them on the Isle of Wight. A very high standing machine where the stamps came out of the top. If you won a whole book you got about 50p in trade value. Would love to see a picture of that.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

malcymal wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:47 amAs a key worker I returned to work two weeks after lockdown, having been very ill two weeks before, with all the symptoms; of course they wouldn't test me, I had to isolate.
Goodness, Malcymal. What a horrible experience. I cannot understand why your Doctor could not get you tested for the virus? Your work puts you very close to the category of "essential workers" here in the States. You deserved better treatment.

I'm happy to hear you're feeling better now, having weathered the storm. Hopefully, you now have the virus antibodies that will inoculate you from the Second Wave of this monster scheduled to appear this Fall.

J Peterson
Hiding in America
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

john t peterson wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:17 pm
malcymal wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:47 amAs a key worker I returned to work two weeks after lockdown, having been very ill two weeks before, with all the symptoms; of course they wouldn't test me, I had to isolate.
Goodness, Malcymal. What a horrible experience. I cannot understand why your Doctor could not get you tested for the virus? Your work puts you very close to the category of "essential workers" here in the States. You deserved better treatment.

I'm happy to hear you're feeling better now, having weathered the storm. Hopefully, you now have the virus antibodies that will inoculate you from the Second Wave of this monster scheduled to appear this Fall.

J Peterson
Hiding in America
In the early days you could get tested but you were only getting tested if you ended up in hospital; our government and NHS just not prepared for it. I was told by the doctor to simply isolate and to call 999 if i had difficulty breathing as that became the process at the time. I wasnt gasping for breath but short of breath, couldnt climb stairs and no energy; the rigors of boiling hot then freezing cold and BP off the scale probably warranted me calling ambulance. I had to stay/sleep in a single room in the house avoiding my family for 7 days and they had to stay in for 14 days. A test really doesnt help the affected, the fact is you are either gonna feel no symptoms, slight, severe etc. Also the test has a very short window in the five day infection period to be confirmed. For example, my friend was diagnosed with covid at one hospital, she got worse, ended up in another hospital and when tested, she was then negative. It was her body's immune reaction that caused the worse bit when she was no longer infectious. Im hoping when its freely available to get the anti body test. Thanks for your kind words.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well we are looking likely to have a lovely nice lockdown again......hope you have your projects ready........I need to dig out a few items, me thinks and make a trip for essential supplies, hopefully will have time |/XX\|

Will this ever end !!RANT!! !!RANT!! !!RANT!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I know I'm going to sound like a grumpy old fart, and I can only comment on what I've witnessed.
All during this we've been one of the lowest in UK, and the place was like something out of an apocalyptic film. You could even cross main roads without bothering to look.

Then ....! The university and colleges opened. Everything went out the window. It was like Leicester Square 24/7, we had street parties and crowded clubs any night of the week.
And here we are!

Round the corner from here lives a Senior Education Advisor to Downing Street. She was forced into a neighbourhood forum on account of her own son turning her house into a three day rave while she was on holiday. Once she'd eaten humble pie on his behalf they turned on her regarding reopening the "Uni'" and flooding the place with disrespectful individuals from outside. Her simple explanation was that it had been discussed at cabinet level and if it had been decided to close the halls of learning then the government would have been forced to refund all of the university fees. So it was decided to take the risk.

I don't have enough interest nor insight into any of this, all I know is for the last two and a half months it's been like Mardi Gras round here. We shot from tier 3 to 1 in one fell swoop. The demographic show those hit hardest are the young and of course the elderly and infirm whom are most vulnerable.
Interestingly having a butchers' at the records regarding the Spanish event in 1918. It's very similar in pattern and public behaviour :!?!:

BP 😷
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

the school and uni thing has me beat! it makes no sense. Pretty much a full lockdown from Thursday (you think its like mardi gras now , wait for the next 4 days!!)
Anyway, during the lockdown schools and uni are expected to stay open and rules stand like this right now, if a 3rd form child turns up at school and tests positive all the 3rd year goes home BUT if that child has a brother/sister in the 4th form that child is law-bound to go to school until they test positive. Then, of course, we have the FACT that if one child goes to school with the virus every other child in the school has the potential to take the virus home and infect all their households, without penalty, whereas if just 3 people from different households get together they face huge fines. The truth is there are two options to get out of this, a vaccine or we all get it for about three years in a row at which point the immune system should be strong enough to fend it off in the future,at least that is what happened in 1919 and 1348 (although the latter one took longer to immunise the population due to fewer people and less general physical communication '!'
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Two things about The Black Death/Bubonic Plague.

At least in the 14th Century during the first cycle of the plague it stopped a war between us and the French.
However that didn't go away either, it's next visit was of course in the 1660s and was only eradicated in London by The Great Fire of 1666.

And finally it was recently announced that it has re-emerged in .... Guess Where?
All of you who said China should be criticised for jumping to stereotypical prejudices and also awarded ten points for being correct.
There has been a vaccine for it since the latter years of the 19th Century, but it constantly needs revising.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

However that didn't go away either, it's next visit was of course in the 1660s and was only eradicated in London by The Great Fire of 1666.
not quite true,the next major visitation was around 1360 and is known as the "the children's plague" as it appeared to affect only young people although this may well have been because the first hit carried of a whole generation, on average there was a visitation every 15 years until 1669 with fewer people affected each time, the last in London was in 1860. it reached the west coast of the USA in 1900 and spread east,it now has a hold the USA plague reservoir but is no longer considered a threat. it reached Australia at about the same time and there were outbreaks until 1925. Although the great fire certainly helped it did not eradicate the plague,high numbers of plague deaths in London are recorded in the bills of mortality until 1679 when they started to decrease rapidly,in 1700 the column recording plague deaths was removed from the bills as no longer needed.

One interesting fact that always sticks in my memory is that we have Gerbils to blame, the disease had resided in the Chinese plague reservoir (Gobi dessert)for hundreds of years (as it still does now) the Gerbil population was infected but largely immune .in 1328 and 29 two exceptionally good summers increased the gerbil population to a point where they started to expand across the Gobi reaching the trade routes and infecting the camels of the traders .This actually happened again in 1860 causing a pandemic sized outbreak that caused a massive number of deaths in China but due to China's isolation at that time it did not escape to the rest of the world.

you don't need a vaccine for bubonic plague,it was identified in the late 19th cent as bacterial and it treated with the most basic of antibiotics (usually streptomycin) although,as BP say, it needs to be tuned up regularly as humans get used to antibiotics
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

badpenny wrote:The university and colleges opened. Everything went out the window. It was like Leicester Square 24/7, we had street parties and crowded clubs any night of the week.
And as the majority of youngsters are not seriously affected by the virus, why would we expect them to behave responsibly !
It has been suggested to me, somewhat sardonically, that this is just a way that certain sections of the younger generation are ostensibly 'getting back' at the older generation for taking the country out of Europe !!!
:shock: