Aristocrat Arcadian pull effort

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
yooser27

Aristocrat Arcadian pull effort

Post by yooser27 »

Hello,
I hope someone has an idea of the correct poundage pull required for my Aristocrat Arcadian. It seems not too bad to me at about 24 lbs, but the Boss thinks it's a bit heavy.
One reel (usually the reel furthest to the right) will occasionally spin very slowly and sometimes it will go backwards. I've had the reels apart for cleaning and now they will spin O.K. but sometimes appear to have an off day!
Any help will be of course very greatly received. I've attached some photos.
All the best from Neale.
Attachments
Checking pull effort.
Checking pull effort.
Pull effort testing.
Pull effort testing.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Aristocrat Arcadian pull effort

Post by badpenny »

Hi Neale

Hearty congratulations on your novel and unique question.
This must be without doubt the first time anybody has explored this and employed a spring balance to emphasise it.

I (along with many others I imagine) shall now engage in this activity and I intend to conjure up a table by make/model/year, probably in Excel for a quick handy reference.

Thank you for livening up day 96.

BP :cool:

Incidentally, you don't tell us if the amount of pull has always been the same. Or if it's gotten harder over time or since you had the reels out? What else did you alter at that time? Does it start off easy and become more difficult the closer you get to it firing?
The most common reason for the above happening is if you extended the reach between the Dog and Anvil. It would only need to be millimetres to cause that to happen.
yooser27

Post by yooser27 »

Hello,
The amount of pull needed hasn't changed much since I bought the Arcadian quite a few months ago (I didn't check the poundage required when I got the machine). It wasn't in the best of health when I got the machine, but with much help from a number of fellow enthusiasts on the forum it's now much better.
When the reels were out I replaced the wheel strips, after I found out what symbol went where, and also did a general clean up without touching too much to begin with, mainly replacing broken or missing springs, just in case I messed up the settings!

When I pull the handle, it's easy to begin with at about 10 to 15 lbs pull, but gets much harder - approx 25 lbs - just before the reels start to spin.
I've not touched the critical firing arm mechanism doo-dah, as I noticed in the forum it's very touchy, as only a very small adjustment can bring disaster!
All the best from Neale.
Attachments
Arisocrat Arcadian email.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That's the blighter, it only needs to be extended a fraction, and what you describe happens.
If you push it the other way too far, you'll get a misfire.

You can calculate the most effective position for it.
Remove mech from case
Deposit coin
Slowly crank it
Check all of the reset actions have happened.
Once you've reached that point check the Dog and Anvil it should be ready to tip. If it still has more movement to go, that movement is surplus, and you're now unnecessarily fighting the springs. Time to adjust.

BP :cool:
yooser27

Post by yooser27 »

Hello,
I've adjusted the dog and anvil ,which sounds like a pub name ! all now seems to be working O.K. the pull now needed is about 15 lbs which is much less than before, the reels spin O.K. and it pays out.
Many thanks from Neale.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well done Young Neale ....

It's cool when a plan comes together, in fact sometimes it's just cool to have a plan I find.

BP |/XX\|