My first restoration project.

Tell us a bit about yourself.
pedroofn19

My first restoration project.

Post by pedroofn19 »

So here is the first of many I hope, my restored Allwin machine. I'm almost finished, just waiting for the lock to come back from the locksmith, and some chrome plated screws.
I have left the chromed metal off of the ball gallery for now, and I'm not sure I will put it back. Do you think it looks better with, or without it?
Before and after photos.
Attachments
easy 7.PNG
20200703_142544a.jpg
treefrog

Re: My first restoration project.

Post by treefrog »

Very nice, are you leaving the little diamond decorative trimming off as well. See what you mean about the gallery, many manufacturers seem to do artwork without thinking about the cabinet hardware fittings and as such often have words blotted out or arrows not aligned with track etc. Probably should be in though as would finish it off, shame the bottom was not trimmed to see the words

!!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Good oh!

Have you replaced the pay out knob too, or are you leaving the surround off as well?

BP :cool:
PS I'd prefer the gallery shield to be there.
pedroofn19

Post by pedroofn19 »

I will replace the payout handle surround, Im just waiting for the chrome screws to arrive. The small diamond trim were just stick on mirror tiles, they were also on the wood surrounding the playfield, I thought they made it look a bit tacky.
Im still not sure about the ball gallery surround.
brigham

Post by brigham »

The gallery is clearly incomplete without a surround, although a less bulky one might be better.
As Treefrog mentions, backflash makers gave little regard to the playfield fittings, even when both were done 'in-house'. Oliver Whales comes to mind here.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am assuming the backflash was a replaced, if so it would have been a good opportunity to have changed the wording to sit lower or allowing for the gallery, hindsight I guess ;-)
pedroofn19

Post by pedroofn19 »

Yes I did replace the backflash, it was hand painted. I got my daughter to touch it up on photoshop, so it still looks old. Im pretty pleased with the results.
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Going against the grain, I think it looks better without. Looks cleaner, & you can see all of the wording.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

If you still have the flash in Photoshop, maybe you could, as TF suggests, extend the starburst pattern at the top so 'Easy Seven' appears lower. More work, I know, but seems a shame to lose the distinctive Philip Shefras gallery casting.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

pedroofn19, I have seen quite a few Shefras machines with the gallery surround as shown on your machine but I do not think this machine was ever fitted with this style. As discussed, it cuts through the title and also appears to be cut off at the top owing to the proximity of the ball track. I think it is an operator (or later) replacement and that the original plate would have been as fitted to the Shefras machines in the pics below, this being more in keeping with the backflash design, it would also allow all of the text to be visible - the low triangle printed above the gallery would suggest this type of plate. If it were my machine I would fit a plate as shown on the Crackerjack.
Attachments
Shares 1.png
015 DoubleYrWin perhaps whales.jpg
007 Crackerjack.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Those are Morris Shefras. The gallery was what made me think pedroofn19's game was by Philip Shefras.
Of course, you may be right, and this was Morris Shefras game with the wrong gallery fitted. The other style, as you say, works better with the original flash.
pedroofn19

Post by pedroofn19 »

I still have the gallery surround, I may try using it as a template and try to make something that wont cover the writing, or maybe even trim a little off of the bottom of it. I will try a few things, and see what looks best. Thanks for you replies guys, every little helps.