Quinto Grip Tester identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
jones271

Quinto Grip Tester identified

Post by jones271 »

Hi everyone
I was wondering if anyone has a working grip tester that could send me photos of the internals.
I have one I'm trying to put back to working. I have a good idea how the mech works, but the coin part has me puzzled
It's been messed around with quite a lot.
Thanks in advance. Any suggestions or help welcome.
Attachments
grip-testera.jpg
grip-tester-internala.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Grip tester internals help

Post by pennymachines »

Hi jones271 and welcome.

I'm not sure how helpful images of the inside of a different make of grip tester would be. We see a few American grip testers in the UK, but not many, and your model, far as I can tell, is uncommon even in its country of origin. It might help to determine the maker. This could assist in finding other examples (or their owners).

Have you tried asking at CoinOpCollectorsForum?

I see a broken one sold last year at Rob Sage Auctions and another at Morphy in 2008. Unfortunately, the maker isn't catalogued.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Morphy have one catalogued as "Universal Grip strength tester, manufactured by Holly Engineering Co. in 1939", with hi-res images: LOT #478, 2018.

internal-grip.jpg

Info-packed post at CoinOpCollectorsForum:
ozymandias wrote:In my search for the Holly "Universal Grip" Strength Tester patent, I have found more information that might be helpful, most of it from Google Books back issues of Billboard between 1940 and 1952.

The Holly Universal Grip was developed by Edward A. Gorney. Edward Gorney died on August 2, 1952 at 61 years of age, he was survived by a daughter, Mrs. Rosalyn Price. In 1935 Edward Gorney designed 'Bang-A-Deer', a target type game while he was employed as an engineer for the Tru-Shot Mfg. Co. of Detroit. The Holly Universal Grip was developed by Edward A. Gorney who owned Holly Engineering Co (later Holly Mfg. Co.) of Detroit , although their actual factory was first in Ann Arbor. I have found the Holly Universal Grip advertised in issues of Billboard from 1940 through 1952.

Gorney became a partner in Craft Engineering Co. which produced 'The Nerve Scale'. In 1945 Gorney bought out the line of combination Mercury Scales, organized the Mercury Athletic Scale Corp., and the Mercury Steel Corp, as well as Quizette line which produced coin-op napkin/quiz card dispensers for diners in nearby Albion, MI. Gorney was president of the Mercury companies until his death in 1952, he was suceeded by a longtime associate, Chester Rozinski. Gorney also owned the Continental Service & Equipment Co., which was the selling outlet for the Mercury Steel Corp in 1949. The Sept 6, 1952 issue of Billboard has an interesting article on him on page 104 entitled "Gorney, Manufacturer-Designer Of Games, Passes Away". It was interesting that whenever one of Gorney's companies underwent a merger, everyone but him was axed and 'gentlemen from the community' appeared on the new board of directors. I'm not suggesting a tie in with Detroit's ruling Purple Gang, but it was interesting reading...

The only Gorney patent I can find is his "Shooting Range", Patent No 2146066, filed May 25, 1937 and issued Feb 7, 1939. E. A. Gorney was the inventor and Rose A was the assignee. Still looking for the patent number of the Holly Universal Grip, any help would be appreciated.
jones271

Post by jones271 »

Thanks Guys, info brilliant.
The pics don't show the parts I need...
The machine is a QUINTO GRIP, but I can't find anything on this company: Quinto Mfg Co., Selma, Alabama.

Thanks pennymachines.
I've just registered to CoinOpCollectorsForum. Will see if anyone there can help.
Thanks again
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Good luck! !THUMBS!
jones271

Post by jones271 »

Hi pennymachines

All sorted - sat with it for four hours straight Saturday, and finally got it working.
It was so straight forward once I had done it.

Thanks again for the info. Appreciated.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Thanks for letting us know. That's great. When we're forced to put our minds to these things they sometimes turn out simpler than expected. !THUMBS!
I see Quinto Mfg Co. is listed at Arcade-Museum.com, but only as makers of your QuintoGrip (in 1940).
A quick search of the Arena reveals that your machine was Lot 75 in the Coventry Vintage Amusements Auction, November 25th 2018.
Attachments
75.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

I know this is too late, and of absolutely no use whatsoever, but when I saw the first post, I recognised this gripper as a machine I once owned - it was I who put it in the Coventry auction. As far as I can recall, the mechanism was complete and working, although I think there was one part that could be temperamental at times and perhaps needed adjusting correctly.
Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it's sorted now. It's a nice little machine, and pretty rare - certainly the only one I've ever encountered.

Jerry