Whales Playball backflash

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geofflove

Whales Playball backflash

Post by geofflove »

4EC12EC8-93A0-4618-BB93-464E7A626AF7a.jpg

Does anyone have or know of a hi res scan of this backflash. I’m thinking of restoring this one in near future and not sure how good the backflash will be. It seems like all the writing around the edges has been lost. I’d prefer to keep the old one if I can but it’s always good to have a backup!
Thanks
coppinpr

Re: Whales playball backflash

Post by coppinpr »

There is a photo on my web site. Not good enough to work from but might help with the original colours. :!?!:
https://www.penny-arcade.info/the-olive ... collection
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for that - helpful. There don't seem to many pics of this one online. I don't suppose you have the original sized image you uploaded here for just a little more detail?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

On a couple of occasions, when I've needed a replacement allwin backflash and discovered nobody has done the hard bit before me.
I've removed the old one and taken it to a High Street graphics shop.
After doing a 1:1 high definition scan of it I've provided them with a USB Flash Card for them to save it to.

Returning home and opening it, even in Microsoft Paint set at the highest % pixels. You'll be able to edit it yourself, and by using the eye dropper facility to clone the colours.
I find it quite a therapeutic exercise and satisfying to see the standard of work achievable from such a simple and easily available program.
That's how most of the images in Resources were achieved. Anyone having a go themselves, don't forget to add a copy there please to help anyone coming along behind. !THUMBS!

BP :cool:
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks bp, I think that might be the answer. I have photoshop so that’s not a problem but I’ll probably need to get someone to scan it as you suggest as mine is only A4.
I’ll certainly add it to the Resource bank when I get round to tackling it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's best to go to the experts for scanning, as well as printing.
That way you can definitively define the definition that definitely errr, not sure where I was going just then.

BP !PUZZLED!
ruggie26

Post by ruggie26 »

Did you ever get around to making the play-ball backflash. I'm currently looking for one myself.
ruggie26

Play-ball backflash

Post by ruggie26 »

Post merged - Site Admin.

Does any one know where I can get a play-ball backflash . A download would be great but I can buy it too.
gameswat

Re: Whales Playball backflash

Post by gameswat »

ruggie26 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:11 pm Does any one know where I can get a play-ball backflash
Ruggie, you also posted in another thread about your first Allwin which is a Play-Ball. The machine here by Whales is a 1956 Playball and unrelated to what you have. Yours is a pre-war machine most likely an Allwin Deluxe that was revamped with the clear plastic over the felt and a new name card in the centre.
ruggie26

Re: Whales Playball backflash

Post by ruggie26 »

Thank you, I was trying to figure out what I had and this one looked most similar. But prewar would make more sense.