Oliver Whales Treble Chance

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geofflove

Oliver Whales Treble Chance

Post by geofflove »

I have a Treble Chance that I’m planning to restore. The main bit missing is the the top flash which has been replaced with a horrible bit of plastic saying 2p play.

I’m going to have to recreate the original somehow - unless someone has seen a scan anywhere?

Was the original backflash printed on card and put behind glass, or was it printed direct to plastic with no glass? Or something else?

And finally, the ball release in this is a bit unreliable. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 before the ball finally drops. I’ve not opened the ball chamber to see why yet. Does this rotary mech use the weight of the ball to rotate it as the coin releases the ratchet, or does it work a different way? I’ve never seen the ‘inside’ of one before.... Anyone got a diagram?
slotalot

Re: Oliver Whales Treble Chance

Post by slotalot »

You can have this one on me, if it helps?

Not sure if you will get a print direct from this photo, but it gives you some idea of what you need.

Just get your artwork printed and laminated to get it as near to the original. !!THUMBSX2!!
Attachments
treble chance.PNG
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Fab! Thanks. Do you know if this was mounted behind glass in the original or printed on to plastic?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

To make it look like the original mount it on acrylic (3mm or 2mm), then attach another clear piece (or glass) the same size over the top :cool:
Image replaced by hi-res version in Resources - Site Admin.
Last edited by coppinpr on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
geofflove

Re: Oliver whales treble chance

Post by geofflove »

Thanks - that’s what I needed to know.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

geofflove wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:08 pm And finally, the ball release in this is a bit unreliable. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 before the ball finally drops. I’ve not opened the ball chamber to see why yet. Does this rotary mech use the weight of the ball to rotate it as the coin releases the ratchet, or does it work a different way? I’ve never seen the ‘inside’ of one before.... Anyone got a diagram?
They can be a bit finicky. If the light-weight spring has been replaced with a stronger one, or shortened (as is often the case), it will nor be reliable. Here's the diagram from the original 1913 Patent
Attachments
GB191329915.gif
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Ah, that’s helpful. I think the spring is completely absent in mine so that may well be why....! Cheers
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

The wood right before the rotary mech gets pitted and can stop the ball rolling through by gravity alone. Put another couple of balls in there - the weight of the others behind pushes them through.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Ah that’s interesting. I wondered why there were two balls in the machine when I opened it. That could well be the explanation. Thanks
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks to the two above for supplying the sample artwork. If anyone needs a hi res tidied, correctly sized and ready to print version I've just done this one from the ones above. It includes 2cm of bleed all around.