After 3 Generations Bryans Family lose DMP

General vintage slot machine related topics.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

After 3 Generations Bryans Family lose DMP

Post by badpenny »

Drayton Manor, in Tamworth, has been run by three generations of the Bryan family since opening in 1950.
Sadly the theme park has been sold after entering administration.

BBC News

BP :(
arrgee

Re: After 3 Generations Bryans Family lose DMP

Post by arrgee »

Does anyone know the relationship of the Bryan family who owned Drayton Manor, to William Bryan or his son Jim?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Sad to hear it.

William Bryan's elder son, George (brother of Jim) opted to leave his dad's works to set up Drayton Manor Park in 1949. George's son, Colin was next in line, and Colin's son, William was General Manager by 1999.

The Park's history begins at a different location:
John Wardley wrote: In 1931 a gentleman called Alfred Cartlidge developed a 70 acre site comprising a lake and surrounding woodland near the town of Wokingham in Berkshire, and created an amusement park which he called "California in England”. This consisted of a ballroom, cafeteria, boating lake, Snake Train (the fore-runner of Drayton Manor’s), picnic pavilions, and an amusement arcade. The arcade was equipped almost exclusively with Bryan’s machines, and Mr. Cartlidge developed a good working relationship with the company. William’s son George used to frequently visit the park to sell and deliver the latest machines, and on one occasion met and fell in love with Mr. Cartlidge’s daughter Vera.
George and Vera married, and decided to set up their own amusement park nearer to the Bryan’s family base in the Midlands. Drayton Manor was born, and was modelled substantially on California in England.
As I child in the 1950s I was taken to California in England on Sunday School outings, family picnics etc. and remember the wonderful arcade packed with Bryan’s machines. Through the 1960s the park fell into decline, and eventually became derelict. But the amusement arcade and its machines were mothballed. In 1970 I was given the opportunity to purchase the entire contents of the arcade, but, being a poorly-paid stage manager could only afford to buy one machine. Unfortunately the receiver took an all-or-nothing attitude to liquidating the arcade, and I left with nothing. Who bought the arcade I do not know.
In 1949 George "bought a group of derelict properties and surrounding land near Tamworth Staffordshire, with a view to turning it into a tourist attraction. During the first few years, the main entertainment was a boating lake and a few restaurants. A zoo was added in 1957". Bryans Family and Drayton Manor
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Sad News Indeed, !SORRY!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I wonder whether the Museum is being kept by family or is part of the deal, I never did make it there
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The sale of Drayton Manor is in fact good news as the Bryans family will remain in charge :cool:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... s-22462384
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I wouldn't like to attempt the transition from owner operator of a company being able to ultimately decide everything from recruitment to capital investment.
To being a member of staff, working for a conglomerate that hand down objectives dictating "Income to increase to £X; Variable expenditure to decrease to £Z; GP% to sustain minimum of 55 points. Recruitment embargo unless personally approved by CEO International. No petty cash overspend or to exceed £10 per item without Corporate approval. And all with no guide to how to do it.

However, failure to meet any of the above during any one quarter will be considered a failure to comply to Corporate Board Directives and shall result in summary dismissal.
And I bet the new owners have a drawn a line very firmly isolating them from any existing/ongoing legal actions against the current management team of which there are myriad ranging from discrimination to death by careless action. Those could wipe out any back pocket bunce the family are hoping to trouser.

BP !OMFG!
woody2

Post by woody2 »

The family still own the land, it's only the operating company that has changed hands.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

what you say BP may (or may not) be true but is it not good news that the family is still in charge of the day to day running rather than a totally new broom sweeping all before it? If the business is not viable in 2 years time then perhaps it IS time for the old school to leave, but,for now, long may the Bryans family rule :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

woody2 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:10 am The family still own the land, it's only the operating company that has changed hands.
I know the family originally bought the land from Robert Peel's family, but without spending money with Land Registry I don't know if the new owners have bought it in its entirety. If they had the option I'd imagine they'd choose not to have the land.
coppinpr wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:48 am what you say BP may (or may not) be true but is it not good news that the family is still in charge of the day to day running rather than a totally new broom sweeping all before it? If the business is not viable in 2 years time then perhaps it IS time for the old school to leave, but,for now, long may the Bryans family rule :cool:
Where did I say it wasn't good news?

BP
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Drayton Manor theme park damaged in fire.
Quote BBC News .....
"A large fire has caused damage to a changing block at Drayton Manor theme park.

The blaze took hold in the Thomas Land area on Tuesday night, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue said.

The theme park confirmed no-one was injured and all of the animals at the park were safe."

BBC Link

BP :#: