Gottlieb Roto Pool revival 1958

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
geofflove

Gottlieb Roto Pool revival 1958

Post by geofflove »

So this was a PROJECT for me as a first time pinball about which I knew almost nothing. But now know a bit more! It did have me tearing my hair out at various stages going through the 'Yay, I can't believe I managed to get it working..... ah it's not working anymore....'
So in a way nothing too major was done but when these things stop working it can be a bugger to find out why - especially when trying to decide if that wire used to be red and white or red and slate grey or is it pink and white?!
The jobs list on this ended up being a good few bulb holders cleaned and re soldered, a bucket of new bulbs and fuses, new rubbers throughout, 'adjusting' a relay to get the game to start properly, resoldering wires that had secretly removed themselves from the underside of a different relay (there are a lots of them!) and stopped the balls begin released (took about a week to spot that one!). Freed up the 100000 counter which wasn't returning to 0 very reliably and thus stopping the whole game resetting. New oak rails on playfield and back box - the others were literally turning to powder if breathed on - good practice for routing skills! Added mains switch, added credit button to bypass coin mech did some earthing! stabilised the badly flaking paint on the backglass. So flaky that even the lacquer aerosol blew some more off trying to seal it! Cut out the worst worm eaten part of the cabinet and spliced in a new bit a treated the rest, painted the cabinet and legs. New balls! I'm not about to do the artwork for a stencil to give the cabinet the finishing touches.

It was a real challenge but so satisfying and now great to play! I just love the whole nostalgic feel of it from the artwork, the lights, the sounds of the solenoids and bells and of course the cabinet knocker which cracks at the winning of a free replay. Also if you need somewhere to rest a fag it's all built in! I've now got the bug to work on another if anyone has a dead one they want to shift - although there's definitely a limit to how many of these beasts I can keep. And I suspect at 1 I've probably hit that limit!
Attachments
IMG_4391a.jpg
_48A6247a.jpg
_48A6245a.jpg
_48A6241a.jpg
_48A6241a.jpg
_48A6239a.jpg
_48A6234a.jpg
_48A6233a.jpg
tallstory

Re: Gottlieb Roto Pool revival 1958

Post by tallstory »

Great restoration. I wish I had room for one but have to restrict myself to a simulation on my PC :(
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Great job. !!THUMBSX2!!
Been downsizing my pin collection, swapping them for bandits & allwins, much easier to get in the house!
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks - yes size is a problem!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

special when lit wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:47 pm Great job. !!THUMBSX2!!
Been downsizing my pin collection, swapping them for bandits & allwins, much easier to get in the house!
Also easier to get yourself back out of the house in the event of the wrong person at the front door.

BP !OMFG!