1599004284746544678317a.jpg

Attachments
1599004215948452527973a.jpg
15990041622651068881540a.jpg
1599004069799574472685a.jpg
smcd4649

Re: Duo-Mat machine on 6 pence

Post by smcd4649 »

There are some pictures of the old instructions and award card but I didn't know what this meant, for example (4 pays 2/-). My daughter made the new cards up that I put on the machine. We were assuming 40pf pays 2 coins, for example.
brigham

Post by brigham »

The machine HAS worked in Britain, then. Splendid.
Now is the time to ditch any further consideration of German currency, and concentrate on bringing the machine back to its operating state in this country.
Is there any evidence of overlays having been fitted to the disc numbers? It would seem that the British instructions refer to 4, 6, 8, rather than 40, 60, 80 etc.?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

brigham wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:51 am The machine HAS worked in Britain, then. Splendid.
Now is the time to ditch any further consideration of German currency, and concentrate on bringing the machine back to its operating state in this country.
Is there any evidence of overlays having been fitted to the disc numbers? It would seem that the British instructions refer to 4, 6, 8, rather than 40, 60, 80 etc.?
Hopefully Brigham you will be able to advise on the next steps as you seem to know all about these machines.... ;-)
smcd4649 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:04 am There are some pictures of the old instructions and award card but I didn't know what this meant, for example (4 pays 2/-). My daughter made the new cards up that I put on the machine. We were assuming 40pf pays 2 coins, for example.
Yes, the awards cards do now look like number of coins to payout, which of course would be wrong. Just needs the shilling marks added. The confusion I guess is that the machine was originally on 10pf, which most were. Maybe stick an ad request in for some 6D slides. Not sure they were common, although people will have seen this thread anyway. Maybe some custom items possibly. Good luck. |/XX\| By the way, if it were me, I would get working on something close so at least it could be used. :shock:
brigham

Post by brigham »

The only thing I know specifically about these German machines is that I've spent years avoiding buying one, on the basis that having one of anything is fairly pointless.
I'm only working logically from the information I'm given. If the machine has been working on sixpences, then it's unlikely to have been converted back to a German coin.
If 4 pays two shillings, and 6 pays three shillings, it's fairly obvious that we are talking about tanners here.
Red or Black pays a shilling, as 2x6d, which is the bottom slide. 4 pays 4x6d, which is the bottom two slides, and pro-rata up to 10, which pays 10x6d, or five bob.
In other words, there are five slides, each holding two sixpences. Quite a simple layout.
The only odd thing is the disc, which still says 20, 40, 60, instead of 2, 4, 6 etc..
Perhaps the punters just put up with it?
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Mine runs on thrupences but also has the old pf coin amounts on the top wheel. I guess it was too fiddly or maybe some thought it looked untied so didn’t bother.

Each slide on mine also pays a pair of coins, although mine only has 3 slides so it’s 2, 4 or 6 coins. I suspect this is a result of the thickness of thrupences. I doubt the lift of the payout lever would be sufficient to cover the distance required to differentiate between 5 of these thick slides.
Attachments
DA27CA76-D07B-470D-8847-FAAA0185B84Fa.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Re-reading the original instruction card, it states awards relating to a modified machine, so overlays should exist. Also importantly it states pays token for the lower awards, unclear if this was the case for higher, but maybe the machine used tokens of a different size for payout, otherwise why mention this and would not have two payout systems on this type of machine. One way to tell is to check diameter of the coin chute as a German coined tube would cause sixpence to be lost in it and not stack properly......also I need to check against my machines, but if coin is deserted to cash box after leaving acceptor it would confirm this
brigham

Post by brigham »

I thought it unlikely that "...makes token payout 1/-" meant "One shilling in tokens".
After some thought, I decided it meant ' a token payment', a consolation prize because you lost on the Roulette.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

The mech looks entirely standard apart from the missing slides so I don’t think token payout is involved.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

We are talking about the coin or token used here, often different size tokens were used to original coinage. Not saying this the case, but is possible. What is clear is it paid in tokens if award card is correct....
brigham

Post by brigham »

treefrog wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:12 pm We are talking about the coin or token used here, often different size tokens were used to original coinage. Not saying this the case, but is possible. What is clear is it paid in tokens if award card is correct....
Or, it made a 'token payout', as suggested above.
Which, to me, seems the more likely interpretation.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

treefrog wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:12 pm We are talking about the coin or token used here, often different size tokens were used to original coinage. Not saying this the case, but is possible. What is clear is it paid in tokens if award card is correct....
The coin path looks entirely standard for this machine meaning deposited coins are fed to the payout tube until full then overflow into the cash box. I can’t therefore see how it can pay tokens. Hence the interpretation of ‘token payout’ meaning consolation....