The last of the escalators

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

The last of the escalators

Post by coppinpr »

I'm working on three very late Sega Continentals and two of them must be what I guess were the last machines fitted with full escalators. The third machine, although dated the same year (1966) has an electric coin entry mech. I've never seen these late escs before and it's clear when you take them apart that they were much more complicated than the original full Mills esc. They might not have jammed so much, but I bet they went wrong more often. Took me ages to work out why the first one wouldn't return to the start position. Still they're interesting and I've never seen them mentioned on the forum. Can they be fitted to older machines?

esc2.jpg

esc1.jpg

treefrog

Re: The last of the escalators

Post by treefrog »

Suspect the escalator versions are earlier than the S10 coin mechanism, which replaced a lot of earlier, less reliable coin mechanisms and is still in use today, with a few electronic bits. May also depend on the model.

I have a few of the Continental escalators and they do not swap straight with a traditional Sega/Mills device, but parts in them are reusable.
grains

Post by grains »

I have recently purchased a Sega Starlet and the escalator is different to the usual Mills / Sega versions I am familiar with.
Can anyone shed some light on this type of escalator is it an original Sega? Does this match the with Sega Continental escalator you have photographed above?
Thanks

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes and yes

Interesting, the Later Continental models dropped these for drop down coin access using S10’s
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'm impressed with the beefiness of that.
It looks as if they made the refinements lacking for many years and then promptly moved on to S10 option.

BP !PUNISH!
grains

Post by grains »

Thanks for the information.
This one is fitted in a Starlet Monaco which is in need of some tlc.
Do the mechanisms function like Lucky Devils or are they a mechanical trigger for the Jackpot Token?
grains

Post by grains »

badpenny wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:01 pm I'm impressed with the beefiness of that.
It looks as if they made the refinements lacking for many years and then promptly moved on to S10 option.

BP !PUNISH!
Are these the S10's coin acceptors used in fruit machines, pinballs and video games in the 70's and 80's? I think they were made by Coin Controls
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yup, thems the buggers.