Revamped Beromat - R&W handle mech

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
chriscalver

Revamped Beromat - R&W handle mech

Post by chriscalver »

Hello all,

Firstly thank you for allowing me to join your group. !!COOEE!!. I hope I can get the help and support needed to get my latest project up and running !!ESCAPE!!

This evening I purchased a revamped beromat made by J and W, who I beleive were in Southend.

The condition of the carcass is good, only requiring a good clean and some detailing, the electrics all work (just need some new starters) the main reel mech works fine when separated from the 'handle mech', however this is where the problem lays. It appears there are a couple of components that are missing that engage into to 'main beromat reel' unit.

Is there anybody here that either has a spare handle mech, or can advise on how to repair. !PUZZLED!

TIA !THUMBS!

IMG_20201004_194956.jpg

IMG_20201004_194300.jpg

treefrog

Re: Revamped Beromat - J & W handle mech

Post by treefrog »

Hi Chris and welcome.....

Funny I provided the Southend info on Facebook earlier today to someone else on a very similar machine. Also you have pinged me a query on eBay for parts.

Perhaps if you can take a picture of the inside of the handle assembly without the mechanism in, it may help understand if anything and what is missing. I noticed a payout slide in the pay tray, is this a spare or has it dropped out.....

Nice machines these lit up !!THUMBSX2!!
chriscalver

Post by chriscalver »

Hi Tree frog,

Thanks for your reply. I have attached a pic of the current handle mech (see below)
IMG_20201005_070630.jpg

I have looked through the forum and found what I 'beleive' to be a complete unit. It appears they fail in that area.
Screenshot_20201004_220628_com.android.chrome.jpg

There was a post on here regarding someone who had some salvage units in their garden that had some of the mechanisms available, however this was back in 2017 and I can't find the post again. :!?!:
chriscalver

Post by chriscalver »

.... With regard the payout slide, I beleive this is a spare. I did have a quick look last night thinking it may be missing, however the top 2 slides are attached to one another (increasing win value I beleive). I'm going to take apart, clean and inspect for damage on other slots as this also appears to be a wear point - pic below.

IMG_20201005_071141.jpg

I was going to separate them and get back to original, however when I look at the reels there is a blank been riveted in position on the 1st reel, so I assume this was done at the time of conversion, so may be more trouble than it's worth - what are your thoughts :didact:

IMG_20201005_071128.jpg

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Great, so helps a lot. It looks like the rear handle plate is missing altogether, probably disintegrated, one of the common failing parts from metal rot. Problem is replacements will be tough, I have none left and you end up scrapping another machine. Some have had success in using epoxy glue or metal epoxy products, but you may not have the bits. These do take some stress. I wonder if it would be possible make something and have seen people do the same with the front plate.

Slides, your machine has a mixture of brass and pot metal slides, so someone may have changed some as these break. Also your machine pays 12d, so 6 slides. The top slide has no springs in it so will only pay 10 on the jackpot, but it looks like it may say 10 under the awards plate as that number 12 looks to have been added. I have seen 12d payouts on these machines, usually on British revamps and they add a riser a over the slide posts for the extra slide.

The parts on the reel pay discs is called a bug, but may match the awards, so you will need to check each one before removing.
chriscalver

Post by chriscalver »

Unfortunately with the handle mech, what you see is what I've got - I would assume it's broken or been used as a spare in another unit.

Do you know any one that may have parts available. I'm sure something can be fabricated (especially the front plate) however the part with the pinion in would be more difficult without a template or drawing.

Slots, the top slot (brass) is attached to the slot beneath, hense why I thought it would offer a higher payout.
IMG_20201005_071148.jpg

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ah yes, if too two slides are riveted together that would explain it, although single springs have a lot more work.

No, I know no-one who would have spares. I am afraid this is one part of about 4, that people will come across broken. I have used breaker machines where they were damaged beyond economic repair to gather parts, eg I bought a machine BAdpenny found on his compost heap, where half hat rotted away. Problem is less of these are coming to market and crappy machines at a sensible price. Use to be able to buy a breaker machine for £30, now they sell for £150......mad world.....maybe someone else may offer help...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I have a few parts, but nothing for cases.

BP
chriscalver

Post by chriscalver »

Thanks for your replies Treefrog and BP. !!THUMBSX2!!

Are you able to tell me what these components are called as I wouldn't know what to search for and secondly it the original Beromat handle mechanism would even fit in this revamped unit? :!?!:
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Chris
I have attached a photo of the complete handle assembly so you can check what is missing from yours. These are from a Regina Beromat I am restoring and as far as I know they are identical in all Beromats and clones.

As BP and TF have said, they are hard to find as spares but you never know your luck, especially as the members of this forum are so helpful. I have also attached two photos of the back plate for your information. I don't think it would be easy to fabricate it but I'd be willing to take some dimension if you wanted to try.

Good luck.
Attachments
Back handle plate.jpg
Handle clutch components.jpg
chriscalver

Post by chriscalver »

Thanks for your pictures Tallstory - at least I can ascertain what I'm missing (which currently appears to be most of it :()

Agreed on the face plate, from the pictures I've seen I just saw it as a flat plate.

Thanks again!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

chriscalver wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:00 pm Thanks for your replies Treefrog and BP. !!THUMBSX2!!

Are you able to tell me what these components are called as I wouldn't know what to search for and secondly it the original Beromat handle mechanism would even fit in this revamped unit? :!?!:
According to my Philip Shefras Spare parts list .......
thumbnail_IMG_20201005_143240.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20201005_143401.jpg

However I wouldn't have thought anyone would recognise them from those names really. I'd be asking about the mechanism that sits on the back of the handle and connects to the main mechanism. along with a photo.
Along with others I suggest you're looking for a scrapped/donor machine.

BP
chriscalver

Re: Revamped Beromat - R&W handle mech

Post by chriscalver »

After stripping down a little further to ascertain what is missing from Tallstory's pic (thanks again), it would appear I'm only missing 2 parts, circled below.

Does this increase the chances of anyone having any bits laying around somewhere, they are willing to sell. :!?!:

IMG_20201006_183934.jpg

The remainder of the mechanism looks in good order. Just requiring a good clean.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

Don’t know if this eBay listing is any good. Nothing to do with me, just happened upon it this evening.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274523066647
Attachments
bits.jpg
chriscalver

Post by chriscalver »

Hi Paul.... Thanks for heads up.

I have pinged an email to the guy for pictures.

!THUMBS!
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Looks like it includes a complete Beromat handle assembly. Not cheap but might be worth it. !PUZZLED!