Sega Imperial: no payout on cherry & adjust reel stops

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
mickeyblue

Sega Imperial: no payout on cherry & adjust reel stops

Post by mickeyblue »

Hi all, I have spent the evening checking through the forum to see if this is noted elsewhere. I cannot see another post like this.

I have purchased an Imperial machine which pays out for all wins except single cherry on reel 1. The vertical slide does pass through the slot but I am unable to see or.l figure out how it would pay out as the slide does not contact the same set of contacts that the other slides do for their payouts.

Side note I do get a 2 coin payout for getting a bar with a star on it on reel 3, this is not a winning payout that I can see on the artwork.

I did initially think the reel straps were incorrectly aligned but they all do payout and again the cherry on reel 1 and 2 do payout as the slide can move through both slots....

I'm confused. Can anyone give me any starting points.
This is my first machine.

Regards

Michael
treefrog

Re: Sega imperial- no payout on 1 cherry

Post by treefrog »

Welcome Michael,

Heavy those late Segas. :shock: There was one recently for sale on Facebook below. Is it the same one?

22F8BB4D-FB7F-4132-B45E-FCA6571ED477.jpeg

The problem can be a few things, but first port of call would be whether the upper finger for cherry (right hand one) is going far enough to trip the lower slide finger for single cherry, so bottom finger. The same finger operated the bottom two slides and is shaped slightly different to the other fingers and has a deeper contact. It may be that it is only fractionally out and sometimes bending the finger slightly is enough to allow contact on lower finger. Difficult to do towards the lower finger, but bending the bottom slightly to the right should bring slightly closer.

Also reel bundles being slightly out can mean the reel payout discs are closer to the fingers stopping the finger going deep enough, but check the first point. Also check the spring is good.

On the payout of two on the other mentioned award, share a picture. Sometimes machines have mystery awards, but this is normally highlighted, also could be an incorrect strip or award layout.
mickeyblue

Re: Sega Imperial - no payout on 1 cherry

Post by mickeyblue »

Yes it is heavy... maybe you helped me get it to the car!

I didn't see the horizontal contacts and have checked them. As you said they we not quite making contact. So after a bit of trial and error it is now working as expected.

Many thanks.

Side note:- do we know of any resources for me to read up on this type of cab? I did find the documents here about Windsors, but was hoping to get some real hands-on tinkering!

Michael
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am getting long in the tooth to pick up these machines now and my arms would have had to have been very long to have help you to your car :HaHa:

The Sega Windsor guides are basic for parts and basic maintenance. If you want general machine help, something like the Meads Owners Pictural Guide may help, as Mills mechanisms are very similar

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mills-Slot-Mac ... xy4eJTLl7s
mickeyblue

Post by mickeyblue »

Thank-you very much for taking the time to reply. I've reached out to the publisher of this book as delivery is almost as much as the book... but yes.. it looks exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm hoping to get really stuck into the restoration of this and other machines so this forum and its members are an excellent source of knowledge and inspiration.

As another side note is it possible to get coin blanks or token blanks for the special award tube on this and I imagine other machines... it does seem to work if I use 20p in the jackpot or token tube for payouts but wondered if there is such a supplier of token or.something to differentiate from coins ?

Again, thanks for the responses

Michael
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Before ordering the book, check with the owner of this site as he has an extensive library of international books including this one for a lot less if in stock.

Look under the American section about page 5 or 6

https://pennymachines.co.uk/Library/index.shtml

The top glass of your machine looks to have been modified, so unclear what was next to 20 and 10. Maybe the word 'coins'.... If using a token vendor, check the diameter and thickness. Many people have buckets of tokens for various machines who may be able to help...
Attachments
CA133A65-4DB0-4E30-981F-517DA5C9DBE1.jpeg
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Hi and welcome, inside pictures of front of mech would help thanks. Check your messages too!

If there are no coins/tokens in the special tube, what does it payout on the jackpot awards, and on the 3 stars? Is it just greedy 10 coins for all jackpot awards and 20 coins for stars?
mickeyblue

Post by mickeyblue »

Hi and thanks for all the help and information. It really is appreciated.

For JP and Special it pays out 1 and 2 tokens respectively corresponding with the 20 and 10 numbers on the glass.
The tube can only gold about 90 tokens so I would imagine that each token had a value of 10. Also meaning you wouldn't have to top the tube up that often too !!

I've included a pic inside too. I'm genuinely fascinated at the mix of pure mechanical win detection with motor driven plungers for payout !
Attachments
16051127224277845226728509315353.jpg
mickeyblue

Post by mickeyblue »

Additional..

If the token tube is empty it doesn't pay out anything on JP or special it just activates the plunger as if coins were there...
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Oooo Errrr !PUZZLED!

I am now out of my depth as I think your machine looks to be electronic payout....possibly for both token vendor and main payout. There seems to be one slide and a pair of springs going to the back maybe where the solenoid is....

As such the book recommended may only help with some parts of the machine as is geared towards mechanical operation....
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Hi,

Yes that picture requested answers some but not all questions and, as TF says, the manual would cover cycling of the mechanism plus initial vertical slide sequence, but not actual payout, jackpot or the coin acceptor parts of this machine. However, if likely to buy more machines, it's likely to be of use in its entirety then.

If you could clarify what it pays for oranges, plums and bells. In addition, when the 3 stars pays 2 tokens, does it pay 1 token, then another 1 token, e.g. as a repeat action or 2 as one action? There will hopefully be a member who has more experience on this particular model with em/electronic pay.
mickeyblue

Post by mickeyblue »

See attached image.

All payouts pay (apart from JP and special) from the first vertical tube directly from the coin slot. This also tops itself up from coins coming in from the user.

For each win eg 3 oranges it will trigger the actuator or.plunger 10 times and pay out 10 coins from the first pay tube.

Only the special and jackpot are paid from the token tube which has to be manually fed. The actuator for this pay out works exactly the same firing twice for two tokens for a special and once for a JP.

Hope this helps... Happy for the support and help here.
I love the machine as it is, but am just naturally curious as to how it works !
Attachments
16051191302905734162317194331929.jpg
mickeyblue

Post by mickeyblue »

To absolutely clarify the plunger when it fires 10 times the coins will fall out as individual coins not in one drop.. so coin 1 then 2 then 3 like every split second rather than hearing a noise 10 times then all 10 coins drop at the same time.

You had probably guessed this but just wanted to say.
mickeyblue

Post by mickeyblue »

In case anyone is interested this is what is at the back of the cabinet once the mech is removed.

The vertical pay arms.. currently the first pin is striking the 5 coin (2 cherry ) pay out switch as the arm was able to pass through the 1st and 2nd pay wheels.

The other pics should show the main interface port that controls the solenoids for the payout...

I figure each pin on the interface will correspond with a single wire on the pay switches and coin detection. The use of this old style "comm" port i think is to enable the mech to be removed without having to always remove wires from a connector block.

Getting the multimeter out there is continuity between bottom row right last two pins and middle row rightmost pin. Only those 3 pins have continuity with each other.

Also i figure that these same switches for payouts will also trigger the counters to increment in the top box.
Attachments
16051239697588413552258097414722.jpg
16051235865471812342935101013415.jpg
16051233007328314381014064301486.jpg
16051232389649168472973652786337.jpg
16051231022452042311433558498155.jpg
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Thanks for clarifying.

Well if it's all paying out, as TF says, you just need to experiment to see what thickness and diameter the token payout would operate best with, then find the appropriate option. Someone, possibly a forum member, may have the same model and may have original tokens. They may let you have a few if they have a tube full and at least you could play the machine to full extent and just have to reinsert limited tokens by hand after a couple of jackpot wins or a 2 token payout. Tokens always come up for sale too, at least if you get visibility of correct token, you can try to source the correct option. I'll check my tokens but don't think I have any Sega ones currently.
mickeyblue

Adjust Sega reel brakes

Post by mickeyblue »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi all,

I have a Sega Imperial and am looking to try and adjust the brakes as it seems that all three reels brake at the same time and not in that smooth 1-2-3 like I see with other mechanical machines.

I have looked at the bar that releases the brakes and it would seem that it releases them all at pretty much the same time.

I have included a pic of the bar and hoping if someone can tell me if the bar is correct. Is it genuine for this machine or if I'm missing something simple?

Included is the pic and hopefully a video... Edit it doesn't like the video files...
Attachments
20201119_114411.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Adjust reel brakes

Post by badpenny »

Hi mickeyblue ......

It's hard to guess without seeing a video. To post a video you need to first upload it to a host site like Youtube, and then post a link to it here.
I'm guessing your photo shows it at rest, perhaps another one showing it just before the mech fires. If they are all going together I'm wondering if dried grease is slowing their drop when released or if "The dog & anvil" needs adjusting to let the bar push in to its extreme. Does it happen soon after pulling the handle. If you don't know "The dog & anvil" put it in the search box above, there's plenty about it on this forum.

Incidentally, and purely to avoid confusion due to terminology.
Those are called The Stops and not The Brakes.
The Brakes are three slender wires that are fitted at the back of the mech and are in constant contact with the hub on each reel and stop them from spinning too fast, without stopping them.

BP
mickeyblue

Post by mickeyblue »

Thanks for the feedback. Apologies for incorrect naming, I'm very new to this.

I've recorded 3 videos... I've removed the reels to hopefully give you all a better look at things.

Thanks

Mike
mickeyblue

Post by mickeyblue »

Additional

I'm thinking that maybe the "feet" part of the stops are slightly bent to the side.. as I figure reel 1 stops foot should be in that u shaped hole on far right... reel 2 is about right and 3 should follow the little extra bit of metal that extends out..

What do people think ?
Attachments
20201119_165406.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You might be right. It looks like they may have been bent previously. Maybe the middle one needs to be further over to the left, but I cannot see the ridges properly on the timing bar. The timing bar should her steps for each of the brake arms, graduated based on the order.