Goldfinger Big Jack

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
martinb

Goldfinger Big Jack

Post by martinb »

I have bought my first slot machine of this kind. Goldfinger Big Jack, built by Competition industries, Belgium.
But it is without any kind of papers, and I find almost nothing at the internet. So I hoped that one of you could help me with info. Manuals, electric schematics, flyers and knowledge...
After a few days I understood that I got model 838.1 - the non pay out machine... So no money all over the floor here...

Martin
Norway
Attachments
IMG_23012020_194603a.jpg
Big Jack.jpeg
treefrog

Re: Goldfinger Big Jack

Post by treefrog »

Hello and welcome,

I am not much use here as it looks like a Bally variant. I know of the Bally 831, not 838 and I sold most of my guides, but have one service manual and will check.

Interesting the concept of Amusement only slot machine like this, as this would be associated with gambling. I remember as a teenager doing a backpacking holiday around Europe in about 1982 and the first night staying in a dodgy bar in The Hague... back then very few people spoke English and had fun with locals talking and not understanding each other getting very drunk. Anyway they had a fruit machine which I played and won a fortune on, only to try and collect the huge winnings to realize it was credits only..... I left it with about 900 credits. What was the point of that? !PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Spain was the same in the late '60s and '70s. There seemed no reason to play and it always struck me that, in fact, no one DID seem to play.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I believe this arrangement still persists in Northern Ireland.
slotey

Post by slotey »

Hi,
I have a machine by the same company and have been looking for ages for a diagram and have given up. A four reel 1-6 coin multiplier to a maximum payout of 1800 coins: 300 by machine, the rest by attendant, but 600 on the Goldfinger feature. This link should take you to a site with several flyers: http://www.stubbens.se/My%20Private%20C ... Flyers.htm
martinb

Post by martinb »

Sorry for my late reply.
I've been in touch with Kjell at stubbens.se for flyers and manual, but also for a new top glass, because my own is broken. But sadly, he couldn't help me. :(

But Treefrog, this model is a no-payout machine with all wins rung up to a register, not only an amusement only machine. :) For people in a bar it probably doesn't matter... it's for amusement only anyway...

Slotey, I mailed a Belgian seller of vintage slot machines. He sent me to flipjuke.fr But no result. :(
slotey

Post by slotey »

Hi, I have only seen one Competition Industries slot on ebay - a different one to mine and your machine, and asked if any paperwork. No luck, and a few other might haves. I am fairly sure they may not exist - probably destroyed when the company folded. They were only running for a few years. They were thought to have been before their time and a bit complicated, but I would have thought the similar Ballys would have took some beating. One of the biggest problems I have found is the poor wire used - constantly breaking from the soldered joints. They can look fine, but a slight tug and it's off. Worth keeping an eye open if you have any problems.
martinb

Post by martinb »

One day someone will help us!

I'm not the toughest handy man, but I have three electricians as neighbors and friends.
But they were skeptical to start cutting into unknown wires. I think it is because they doesn't share my enthusiasm and amount of spare time...
Attachments
20200220_211340a.jpg
20200123_120031a.jpg
20200123_120024a.jpg
slotey

Post by slotey »

I am lucky on one thing - I am a retired electrician, so that really helps with problems in these things. Anything goes wrong, it's pounced on and sorted. May take some time but sorted. Mine was also made in Belgium, but I know they had an office in Vegas. The flyer for mine has an address in Stockholm. I see yours has similar components to mine, i.e stepper units, 50v d.c relays. Mine only a lot more - mine is a six coin multiplier cash-in cash-out. Was also made with credit meter awards. Search for Goldfinger on google. Ten billion hits for James Bond don't help. There is a company Competition Industries, but looking through their history no mention of gaming. If I can give any advice over the years I have really got into these things P.M me, but with most problems you need the thing in front of you.
jc holland

Post by jc holland »

Hi, I have a Goldfinger made by Competition Industries. I also have an electric schema with the number K815.
Attachments
20201220_121421a.jpg
schema-Goldfingera.jpg
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Hi Folks
Like most of the non-payout credit registering machines of the '50s and '60s including the Bally Bingos etc, you would be paid by the bar owner on your final total on the credit meter and then the bar owner would reset the credit meter back to zero, because it was against the law to have a payout machine. This was normally done under the counter and only to regular patrons of the bar that were known by the bar owner to spend a small fortune in the machines... l used to frequent a cafe in Norwich when I was a youngster that had a row of 5 Bally Bingos. I had played in the premises nearly every other day for over a month and one day won really big with about 800 credits (at a shilling each ) = £40, a lot back in the late '70s... The guy next to me, who I had become friends with, said, 'wow, you have won £40'. I said, 'what do you mean?' He said to me, 'go and see the cafe owner and ask him to reset the credits', which I did. The owner said, 'I was wondering when you were going to ask.' :) About 5 minutes later he stuffed an envelope in my pocket with 40 quid in it... Went home a very happy chappy.

all the best ... Dicky
perhackarn

Post by perhackarn »

jc holland wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:38 pm Hi, I have a Goldfinger made by Competition Industries. I also have an electric schema with the number K815.
I have a similar machine that I need information about. I am looking for a functional description and wiring diagram. I know nothing about these machines and would appreciate any information I can get.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Welcome to the site perhackarn!

Unless jc holland returns with his electric schema I think you'd be very lucky to find it I'm afraid. Similar quests on French site Flip Juke, Danish site www.spille-maskiner.dk, and Swedish site Svenska flippersällskapet also came up empty, but turned up more images and flyers.

Translated from:
French: Goldfinger slot machine
Danish: Goldfinger Big Jack
Swedish: Goldfinger Bandit

From Cash-Box, December 2nd 1972
Golfinger-ad.jpg
Golfinger-ad.jpg (217.08 KiB) Viewed 469 times

Attachments
IMG_7207a.jpg
IMG_7207a.jpg (154.41 KiB) Viewed 469 times
banco1.jpg
banco1.jpg (59.94 KiB) Viewed 472 times