Jennings Governor Intermittent fault

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
alan57

Jennings Governor Intermittent fault

Post by alan57 »

Always been very happy will my Mills one arm bandits, so decided as Ive just turned 65 :shock: to treat myself to a standard Jennings Governor.

The machine arrived yesterday, and was eager to play on my new to me Jennings.

Although the chrome has seen better days it plays ok for a short time. Then I found as I put in 6d in the slot the handle would not pull down, tried a second 6d and same again handle not pulling down. After the 3rd 6d was placed in the slot this was rejected down to the front of the machine.

After taking the back off the machine I found the problem, a bracket see picture was diverting the coins to the front. After nudging the bracket the machine worked again, but kept jamming again after a short time

There is a spring at the back of the bracket see picture, is this the cause of the bracket to reject the sixpences? are there any adjustment screws to overcome the problem

All the sixpences are uncirculated, so are not worn.

Hoping someone can shine the light to were I can sort out this intermittent problem!

Speaking about lights it has 2 and they work fine ( for now :HaHa: )
Attachments
Jennings.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Jennings Governor Intermittent fault

Post by coppinpr »

this might not be the answer but the photo shows masses of old oxidised grease, these chain-driven escalators don't work well if bunged up as they rise and fall on a cam, it could be the coin reject is working fine because the escalator is not excepting coins correctly.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Hi Paul
That was going to be the next step to get rid of the old grease.
Also on the look out for a good second hand service manual for the Governor before I start to service it.
slotey

Post by slotey »

You can find a free download for a chief manual http://rwatts.cdyn.com/download/Jenning ... Manual.pdf
not the best but better that nothing
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Congratulations Alan on your new toy, when you strip this down you’ll realise how well built theses Jennings machines are, unlike the other makes these machines would operate without problems for years. Certainly my favourite machine and regards a manual I’ve never needed one , just take loads of photos as you strip it down, you’ll learn more about the machine when you strip it down than any manual will show you.
I’ve tried various cleaners on these machine parts but screwfix degreaser I’ve found is the best, leaves no trace of dirt or grease.
Have a good Christmas Alan.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Hi Chris, Merry Christmas to you also, lets hope next year is better this this one.

Ive just bought a Jennings service manual from Neil in Stockport, don't know if you know him, he use to supply Henry Powell with a number of machines over the years. Neil is suffering with poor health at the moment.

Looking forwards to making a start servicing the Governor, I don't thinks its had a service for many a year.
Had Coppinpr make me a new top flash, and managed to obtain some new reels from Widget2k. Although the lighting works, Im not sure how safe it is :zapa: .

The machine plays ok, pays out as it should, the reserve jackpot works when it want too, but Im sure once all the old grease has been cleaned off it should work a bit better, I will try screwfix degreaser as you mentioned.