Greetings, I'm From Arcade Dreams!

Tell us a bit about yourself.
historyofhowweplay

Greetings, I'm From Arcade Dreams!

Post by historyofhowweplay »

Hello all you wonderful collector folk across the world.

My name's Ethan Johnson and I'm the researcher for the recently Kickstarted film series Arcade Dreams. The film is going to cover the whole of coin-op game history, featuring lovingly shot trade stimulators, mechanical marvels, rare working electro-mechanical games, and of course the video era.

I've come to this site every so often to find information which can't be found anywhere else and I'd love to help uncover more about the early days of coin-op with assistance from people here. You can see some of my current research from my Newspapers account where I have done a lot of work on the likes of Mills Novelty and other mechanical apparatuses, as well as my own Twitter @OurLostArcade where I've put some interesting preliminary research.

I'm not a collector per say but I am fascinated by old coin-op devices. I currently live in Chicago, Illinois and I hope with this documentary series and my own work to help revive interest in this city's immense legacy in establishing coin-op as it exists today.

If you're the historian type, definitely get in touch! I respect the work all your folks have done in preserving a forgotten past and I hope to see more fascinating baubles from here in the future.
cait001

Re: Greetings, I'm From Arcade Dreams!

Post by cait001 »

I know these punks and miscreants and their Arcade Dreams project.
Consider this a glowing endorsement!

(I am so hyped for the episodes to come out, the preliminary documentary stuff they've done is ACES)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME:
Looks like a fantastic project judging by the engaging and very professionally executed preview videos. Should definitely help to increase and spread enthusiasm for the old games.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Welcome, Ethan Johnson

As a resident of Chicago, you are ground zero for the early coin-operated trade, gambling in particular. The members of PennyMachines endorse and encourage your intentions to showcase the mechanical wonders of bygone years. Gambling machines are as quintessential to our Yankee history as was the American West. The British experience with slot machines is quite different from the American but you will not find a group of collectors more willing to share their information and expertise than those who live here at PennyMachines. So, welcome and good luck with your production.

J Peterson
Fellow Yank with a British passion
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

historyofhowweplay wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:48 pm If you're the historian type, definitely get in touch! I respect the work all your folks have done in preserving a forgotten past and I hope to see more fascinating baubles from here in the future.

Are you aware of Dr. Alan Meades and Arcade Tales?

Of Showmen and Seasides A Conversation with Arcade Historian Alan Meades

Arcade Cultures and Arcade Heritage

Unfortunately, the links to his own sites, (Arcade Tales, the people's history of British arcade life) either http://www.arcadetales.com or http://www.arcadetales.co.uk seem to have gone offline about a year go. Last recorded at Wayback Machine in 1919 Maybe moved to facebook?

George Wilson's photographs inside Cain’s Amusements on the seafront at Herne Bay, Kent are exceptional. Very few before him thought amusement arcades worth documenting.

From an American perspective there is of course Alexander Smith's They Create Worlds: Vol 1 1971-82
historyofhowweplay

cait001 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:33 am I know these punks and miscreants and their Arcade Dreams project.
Consider this a glowing endorsement!

(I am so hyped for the episodes to come out, the preliminary documentary stuff they've done is ACES)
I hope we can live up to the reputation! Thanks much.
pennymachines wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:03 pm :WELCOME:
Looks like a fantastic project judging by the engaging and very professionally executed preview videos. Should definitely help to increase and spread enthusiasm for the old games.
Thank you! Soon enough I hope they'll share some of the other preliminary promo vids we've done. Some awesome filming of Violano-Virtuoso, Sega Jumbo, Chester-Pollard Baseball, and others. The cinematography is what got my interested in getting involved.
john t peterson wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:49 pm Welcome, Ethan Johnson

As a resident of Chicago, you are ground zero for the early coin-operated trade, gambling in particular. The members of PennyMachines endorse and encourage your intentions to showcase the mechanical wonders of bygone years. Gambling machines are as quintessential to our Yankee history as was the American West. The British experience with slot machines is quite different from the American but you will not find a group of collectors more willing to share their information and expertise than those who live here at PennyMachines. So, welcome and good luck with your production.

J Peterson
Fellow Yank with a British passion
Thanks J. I find equal fascination with both sides of the Atlantic and the Pacific as far as coin-op goes. I just happen to be in a place with so much lost legacy that needs to get documented because the city itself has forgotten. Hoping that there might still be pieces of it out here to find!
historyofhowweplay

pennymachines wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:06 am Are you aware of Dr. Alan Meades and Arcade Tales?
Oddly enough even though I've known about ROMChip from the early days I hadn't read this interview through. I will definitely reach out and see how we can help each other! Thank you.
pennymachines wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:06 am From an American perspective there is of course Alexander Smith's They Create Worlds: Vol 1 1971-82
Ah yes, I think I know him.
Attachments
20201231_121951a.jpg
20201231_121958a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

historyofhowweplay wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:27 pm Ah yes, I think I know him.
:lol: I thought so. Looks like you have a thriving community of enthusiasts, writers and researchers in the US.
I was disappointed that Vol 1 doesn't cover the early years (which I know Alexander researched), as my principal interest fizzles out around 1971. Perhaps he felt this is already sufficiently documented.
historyofhowweplay wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:27 pm Oddly enough even though I've known about ROMChip from the early days I hadn't read this interview through. I will definitely reach out and see how we can help each other!
What's even odder is that Alan Meades hasn't been mentioned here before, although his work is pretty central to our interest in the history of British arcades. I only found him yesterday while googling Cromptons.

A day at Cain's Amusements in 1980s Herne Bay