Duo Mat payout problem

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
arrgee

Duo Mat payout problem

Post by arrgee »

This DM is refusing to payout on a win, on closer inspection there appears to be a 3D coin trapped between the bottom payout slide and the payout guide/base support - it is stuck fast and my concern is that if any force is applied in levering out the coin the alloy may crack.
Any ideas on how to release this little blighter?
I have also noticed that there is a collar surrounding the vertical payout rod which is loose and rotates (as indicated in second pic with wooden pointer) the collar has a small bolt that is loose, I assume this should be tight. The rod can be freely moved up and down by about 2 to 3mm.
Any advice and help would be gratefully received.
Attachments
Duo-matt-1a.jpg
Duo-matt-2a.jpg
tallstory

Re: Duo Mat payout problem

Post by tallstory »

I think the only safe way would be to dismantle the coin slides. I can imagine that you are trying to avoid this but, as you say, prising it out runs the risk of breaking the slides. It also gives you the opportunity to clean the slides and work out why the coin jammed in the first place. BTW are there any 2D coins around? :lol:

Yes, set screws should always be tight. It seems to be to adjust the spring compression, although someone else might know otherwise.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You've got to take down the slide bundle, no other choice.
That bottom slide looks as if it has a crazed surface already.

BP :cool:
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Just pop the mech out of the case and remove the coin slide unit. It really does only take 10 mins or so providing the bolts aren’t seized.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

badpenny wrote:That bottom slide looks as if it has a crazed surface already.
Yes noticed that bp when I looked at the photo, but the bottom slide looks to be a brass colour and certainly not the usual alloy
Thought a strip down might be the case - never done this before so rather apprehensive.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

That is the brass masterslide and the crazing is perfectly normal, they all do that.....

For a coin to get under this suggests there is another issue as should not happen, especially if as thick as a 3D. Are all slides intact and top cover properly screwed down
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

I agree. The only way I can see this happening is if one of the slides has broken or if the screws in each corner are lose/missing. Unless of course someone has been at it in the past and resassembled it incorrectly or with the wrong parts.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

ok...... so by looking at the mech it appears that following disconnection of the crank lower linkage, the main body can be removed, it also looks like the coin acceptor mech can be left in situ, is this correct?

Thanks for the advice
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes, undo three nuts, the linkage to handle and lift away.

Will give access to pay system.

These really are easy to work on, main advice though, if you do take apart the payout parts, the bottom slide carrier and top cover are real delicate and I have seen or had main disintegrate when taking apart ad worse still over tightening. Be gentle with these. You should be able to see what is happening on the slide front. How many slides do you have and what coinage
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Thanks TF, 5 slides on threp'ny bits
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Sorted !! !!THUMBSX2!!
loosened the slide bolts and coin chute, and the trapped coin fell out. I think the problem may have had something to do with the loose collar around the payout rod which in turn did not compress the spring and therefore did not allow the rod to spring back properly following a win, thereby fouling the slides.
All slides appear to be ok.

Thanks for the help.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Great to know it's sorted. Your solution is useful to store in the old memory bank but I bet I've forgotten it by Tuesday.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

tallstorey: regarding your tongue-in-cheek comment in your earlier post:
tallstorey wrote:BTW are there any 2D coins around? :lol:
Actually, yes there are!
A two penny coin was minted in 1797 and called a Cartwheel, it was quite thick and about 1.6" diameter and made from two pennies worth of copper, which was about 2oz, hence the large and (relatively) heavy size.
Attachments
2d-cartwheel-coina.jpg
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

My pathetic joke was because the capital D is often used for dimension while small d is used for old pence. So are there any 2 dimensional coins? Not great when you have to explain a joke - I must try harder. Now where have I seen that comment before?
brigham

Post by brigham »

I understood the joke; I just don't understand why so many people use a capital 'D' for 'Penny'.
You would often see it on signs, but it was always written 1d.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am probably not old enough to be able to have any knowledge on whether you write “d” or “D” and could find no reference to the etiquette on the correct use. What is clear is both forms has been used and not just in the fairground amusement world. Most enamel signs used large D, cash registers used large D (I found one version using small), some old adverts used both. So I have no idea, but assumed you could use both. Obviously the large D should be small in size and often seems to have either a dot or dash underneath for some reason. What is even stranger is that the d comes from a Roman coin, but its Latin origin means 10 of something similar the way Dime in the US cam from. So why the hell did we used this when obviously totally a non decimal form !PUZZLED!
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

I believe the d symbol comes from the Roman coin dinarius. The curly l (£) is abbreviated from libra pondo, the basic unit of weight in the Roman Empire. I think s stands for shekel not shilling, although I could have fallen asleep during that lesson. But I think we have strayed well off the topic and could be in trouble with the headmaster.
brigham

Post by brigham »

librae, solidi, and denarii. Pounds, Shillings and Pence.

"Pounds, Shillings and Pence,
The teachers have no Sense,
We come to School to act the Fool,
Pounds, Shillings and Pence."

Larry Parnes, the hugely-successful over-paid pop music impresario was known as Mr. Parnes, Shillings and Pence.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Thanks teach
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Ok, slightly off topic all this numismatical information, but that's what I like about this forum, one issue or item often leads to another !!THUMBSX2!!