Jennings Governor broken Mint Control Lever

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
redstar

Jennings Governor broken Mint Control Lever

Post by redstar »

Topic moved - Site Admin.

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and I've learnt a lot by reading old topics already, so thanks for the information so far.

I have recently acquired a Jennings Governor, something I've wanted for many years. It seems to be in pretty good order: there was a jammed coin, which was easy to fix, and it wasn't paying out originally but bending the clock fan blades out slightly to slow down the timing seems to have fixed that.

But I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Firstly, part of the mechanism is broken. As best I can tell from the Jennings Chief Service Manual that someone posted a link to in another topic, it's the top part of "V4-175 CSP" Mint Control Lever Assembly. I can't find anyone online selling a replacement for this. Any suggestions where I should be looking? Should I try to fix it? Any harm in continuing to play the machine until I get manage to track down a replacement? Here's a video showing where it's broken:

My second, related, question is whether there's anything wrong with the finger locking mechanism (probably the wrong term, sorry). In particular, the fourth of the five clonks seems louder than I would have expected (I don't mind this, as long as I'm not causing damage by using it ... it's louder in real life than it seems in the video that follows, though). Part of the mechanism is a hook that looks like it should engage but never does. The payout seems to be working correctly. Again, here is a video showing it in operation:

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Jennings Governor broken Mint Control Lever

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: to the site Redstar!
Hopefully somebody who understands about these things will come this way shortly... |/XX\|
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi welcome to the site.
I can't detect anything from the second video. Is it possible it's noisier when you win? It might be the slides make more noise hitting the back stop when they have a pay out?
Your broken lever, it's possible a replacement may be sourced as we run a spares get together most years .....when we aren't all lurking in the shadows avoiding pestilences.
So awaiting the happy day when we're permitted to stroll around again like free range slot collectors, plus planning it and finding the spares to sell, blah, blah ..... I wouldn't want you holding your breath.

In the meantime I'd remove the bottom half of the lever, clean up the edges and get some eBay low temperature brazing rods
Make sure you carefully read the instructions.

BP :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Hi and welcome,
The broken part is part of the "check detection operating system" which is a long name for something that is not needed on your machine. It's there (with its 3 friends) to see if you are using a token or a coin. It is usually disconnected anyway. It's part of a system that can (A) let you use a token or refuse it and (B) send tokens direct to the coin box and not to the JP or coin tube. Bottom line is, replace it if you ever see one, or happily live without it.

Jennings from this era are noisier than, for example, a Mills. They have quite a loud ringing note to them. I don't think yours is over loud from what I can hear on the video.

If you remove the large amount of oxidized grease on the machine and clean the clock I think you will find it's a smoother running machine all around.
Some of the brackets on the arm side are not the ones you see most often. I suspect they are an early version and the design changed as the machine progressed. :cool:
Attachments
Check detection operating system
Check detection operating system
redstar

Post by redstar »

Thanks very much, that's reassuring all round. I'll keep an eye out for the replacement part, but not worry too much.

I'll give it the good clean it needs sometime soon, maybe over a bank holiday, but it's good to know I'm not doing any damage by using it until then.