Top Tips for Newcomers

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Top Tips for Newcomers

Post by badpenny »

3 in 1 is fine :cool:
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

Check the Wiring First...

Most of what I know has already been suggested, but here is one: If you buy an old e/m machine, no matter where it's from, don't be tempted to rush home and plug it in (if you value your house that is). Most of these are bodged and simply lethal. Open up the machine and check the wiring. Check the earthing etc., and when satisfied it won't blow up, try it, but be ready to turn it off again quickly. I never even try a machine now till I have been through it. :oops:
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

I would agree with you. The early electrics in these old machines leave a lot to be desired. And even more so now, as well as the electrics being old and components not as they should be when made years ago, but also, over the 40 or more years other people have messed about with wires, common things I've come across have been the earth leads broken inside, or simply removed. And fuses that have blown (for a reason!!!) now has either thick wire or foil wedged in the holder. I've seen people get a huge shock on some of the early Sega bandits, which is why I always dump the electrics, especially if I know kids are gonna be playing these.
Just my experience.
chris rideout

Re: FAQs Newcomers

Post by chris rideout »

Sack Truck with a Wind-up Base
coppinpr wrote:... Sega Continental (the heaviest) must weigh 60kg. Take a trolley if possible; always remove the mech and cash tray and back door (if there is one) to carry the machine.
If I had to move machines frequently, I would invest in a sack truck with a wind-up base. It works like a fork lift truck. You can then slide the machine off/on its stand to/from the sack truck in the high position and move the machine with the base in the low position. These sack trucks are expensive but cheaper than losing pay when you are in hospital for a couple of weeks with your foot in plaster and a damaged knee cap!
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Don't Crush your Reel Bundle

Handle bandit mechanisms carefully when outside of the case. If they topple over and crash on to the reel bundle you will have terrible problems realigning them circular. (Advice given from experience, due to my Sega Windsor mech topping backwards whilst trying to clear a jam in coin slides from underneath the base plate). :NBG:

Second advice. If your reel mech has got squished, remove each reel (remembering their order), place flat on some hardboard. Where reel is not flush with board, set about gently reshaping by hand on opposite sections of where reel is distorted; this takes some practice and patience. Keep doing this until reel can lie as flat as possible. When reels are back in machine, if they are oscillating too much, take reels out and repeat the process again on the offending reel. !THUMBS!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

I accurately weighed a Sega Continental and it weighed exactly 60Kg. !OMFG!

I carried it from the car to the Post Office. About 100 feet and it nearly killed me!!!!
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

I recall someone being told that a machine was: "Not very heavy. Trust me".
After suffering like you, he had a pain down below and saw a doctor.
afterwards he was asked what treatment he received, and he replied: "Trussed me!"
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Stop the Clock

I was sure we had one on here about stopping a three reeler in order to force a win, but I can't find it.
Hence this post, I reckon it's worth risking a duplication as it's an essential "know how"

Imagine you want to check the payouts on a bandit, because .....
* You're about to buy it and want to check it out.
* You think it might have failed while you were ploughing coins into it.
* Checking for coin jams within the slides.
Plus numerous other reasons.

You don't have to remove the mechanism from the case, although doing so does give you access to all other working parts as well.
It doesn't matter if your machine is Mills/Sega, Jennings or Pace with a back door or an Aussie with a front door, basically you're going to stop the cycle by stopping the fan clock.

The fan clock is at the back of the mechanism and spins during the complete cycle, it governs the stopping of the different parts of the cycle.
The cycle consists of the reels being spun and then stopped one reel at a time, the first clunk which is the vertical fingers being released to check for a winning combination (they simultaneously move the horizontal fingers below that prepare the right slides for paying out.) And the final clunk which is the group of slides being released.

In order to force a win you are going to stall the fan clock immediately after the handle is pulled, it must be done before the first reel is stopped. I recommend putting a duster or paper towel into the blades of the fan ( in order not to damage it).
If you get it right the three reels will continue to spin until they slowly stop.
Now turn the reels by hand to obtain the winning line you require and allow the fan clock to run down.

You have now forced a win.
Most of us when buying a bandit will check it's accuracy at play by doing this.

BP
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Read Between the Lines

I am always guarded on ebay for these straplines:-
"Was working when last used but haven't tested in a while." - Just go plug the damn thing in then or try it; if the plug has been cut off, that can be a clue to its electrical state, e.g. it's condemned unsafe.
"Bought this to restore but other projects have got in the way." - Can mean they attempted it but major issues and COST got it in the way, so gave up.
"We lost the keys, and machine cannot be opened but should be easy to replace locks/keys on ebay." - Yes, but if it's locked, you can't get the lock out. Drilling an ACE lock is like drilling a diamond. In certain cases, locksmiths can make a key to work the lock on a flat regular key/lock, or pick it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Cycling Bandit with a Screwdriver

At the spares sale in Derby last Summer (keep your eyes out for details of this year's) I was asked if there were any of those workshop handles to cycle a bandit outside of the case. There weren't but I tried to explain how I've always used a screwdriver.
Being a visual person who gamely waves his hands around like a whirling dervish even if I'm only trying to describe a straight line I felt I was failing miserably, so promised to post some photos on here, so here we are only 8 months later …….

Any questions, just shout, it might take me 8 months but I'll get around to it.

BP |/XX\|
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
jerryt

Post by jerryt »

Magnetic Coins

It occurs that newbies like me may not (I didn't) realise that later modern coinage is magnetic

The composition of 1p and 2p coins was changed from bronze to copper-plated steel in 1992 and the composition of 5p and 10p coins was changed from cupro-nickel to nickel-plated steel in 2011. The common denominator? Steel.

My Aristocrat Starlite has an magnet in the coin slot to stop naughty boys and girls from using steel discs or similar, other machines may well too. Hence a 'new' new penny sticks and needs rescuing.

So... If some of your coins drop in the slot but some don't... Look for the magnet and check the dates on your coinage.
Last edited by jerryt on Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

We usually remove the magnet. It just pops out on the Aristos.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well of course I leave all my magnets in, just use old coins. Oddly I started collecting copper pennies and 2p’s years ago when copper went through the roof......of course not worth anything now, so I have two large tubs of old copper coins. :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

When it comes to loosening up tight metal, I used to use Plus Gas instead of WD 40.
Until going through my late dad's papers, where he mentioned using ATF-Ace. I had found a bottle with such a hand written label in his shed.
Apart from it being great as a penetrating fluid, I couldn't find it anywhere or decipher it. The internet never threw up any clues either.
It was only through hearing it mentioned down the boat yard reference removing a gear box from a bell housing that I discovered that you make it yourself.
It's a 50/50 mix Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone.
It's important that the ATF part is non synthetic.

Just how good it is I didn't realise until I found this chart, it makes interesting reading.
Attachments
330825753_1154945375082053_3631539270674822464_na.jpg
330825753_1154945375082053_3631539270674822464_na.jpg (167.69 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Interesting BP. I have a big bottle of Acetone that I have been too in fear of using after reading the safety instructions on things like, “risk of explosion”, so have kept well away... Perhaps I need to address my fears and give this a go with my chemical suit on. !OMFG!
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Go to Halfords & get yourself some of this. Lasts for ages, & is quite effective.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engin ... OC4wLjAuMA..
Attachments
RS-1.jpg
RS-1.jpg (18.71 KiB) Viewed 6940 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:14 pm Interesting BP. I have a big bottle of Acetone that I have been too in fear of using after reading the safety instructions on things like, “risk of explosion”, so have kept well away... Perhaps I need to address my fears and give this a go with my chemical suit on. !OMFG!
I buy acetone from eBay in 5ltr containers. The biggest problem with it is if you're not careful with it you'll wreck your nail varnish.
If you get it on a rag best leave the rag outside until next day, give it a chance to evaporate. We don't want any spontaneous combusting, do we?
If you have to use it indoors and the fumes are getting to you it's best to get your mother in law round to have a go.
Mixing it with ATF works fantastically because the acetone holds the ATF in suspension and being an organic solvent it penetrates easily and carries the ATF into the gaps.
brigham

Post by brigham »

It can also be used to repel Cybermen...