Arcades, Museums & Gamerooms

Videos of vintage slot machines in action.
loramarsden

Re: Arcades, Museums & Gamerooms

Post by loramarsden »

just watched the tim hunkin videos, absolutely brilliant, my tutor at university lent me a video of some of his older works and i absolutely loved them...so that was a BRLLIANT clip! THANKYOU! :cool:
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Wookey hole

Post by coin-op »

360 degree panoramic view of part of their arcade; not sure if the footage can be embedded, so you have to click on the link for now.

http://www.wookey.co.uk/360-pennyarcade.htm
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Museum at Weesp

Post by coin-op »

360 degree panoramic view of coin operated machine museum at Weesp in Holland.

http://www.haesproductions.nl/panoramas.htm
slotalot

Re: Wookey hole

Post by slotalot »

Coin-op wrote:360 degree panoramic view of part of their arcade; not sure if the footage can be embedded, so you have to click on the link for now.

http://www.wookey.co.uk/360-pennyarcade.htm
Hi Coin-op, I once went to Wookey Hole just to see the Arcade :oops: , I tried to explain to jobs worth behind the cash desk that I was a genuine slot-machine collector and I was not interested in anything other than looking at the vintage machines :D .... thats £15.00 came the reply.... but I have traveled 400 miles just to see the vintage arcade and I dont want to see the caves I said :D ....sorry but its still £15.00 came the reply once again :mad: ... what about my wife? she is not interested in the caves and only mildly interested in the vintage arcade I said... Thats £30.00 for the two of you came the reply... is there a concession on the price if I only go to the arcade I asked.... sorry no was the reply :NBG: ... anyway to cut a long story short Mrs slotalot said we had come all this way so we may as well go in :console: ... so we stumped up the £30.00 '!' and made our way to the Arcade, to be fair the arcade was ok and had quite a few vintage machines, but was it worth £30.00 to go in :!?!: ... NO and I won't be going again.....
As a footnote..... I have just returned from a trip to Brighton :cool: ... and I called in to see Jerry at his free to enter vintage arcade, I was made very welcome and we had a long chat about vintage machines etc :D ... would I go again???? Yes well worth it :thumbs:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I wonder if you would have got anywhere by asking to speak to the manager. I used to know the Wookey Hole arcade manager, but suspect he no longer works there. I used to get into the Drayton Manor Bryan's Museum without paying the theme park admission fee courtesy of Jim Bryan and into the Black Country Museum fair/arcade by knowing the Jones family. To bypass jobsworth you need some cheek and the name of the person in charge.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

PennyMachines wrote:I wonder if you would have got anywhere by asking to speak to the manager.
Hi Dave, I think you are probably right, but I seem to remember that there was a quite a que of punters behind me at the time, all wanting my blood for holding them up :oops: , or maybe I should have checked before travelling :-? I just dont think anyone should have to pay that amount to go and put money in a slot machine :!?!: ... on the other hand I can see how they can afford to have panoramic video on there web site. :tarah:
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Well Mr Slotalot, I'm going down that way soonish and I was planning to pop into the Wookey hole arcade, but I have to say that I too don't share an interest in caves and £30 does seem a lot to pay in order to play slot machines that in some cases I actually own. Can't slot machines collectors get some sort of ''Blue Peter'' badge that entitles them to entry into these things??? I'd happily buy the pennies, but as you say Jerry's arcade is free to enter (and welcoming) as too are many others including Carter's (which is like a mini steam fair). Sadly, I guess Wookey hole will remain an untried curiosity to me :-(
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi :D , I have just found this link to a review of Jerry's Vintage Arcade in Brighton.
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/museums-nationa ... n/1278151/ .... :tarah:
loramarsden

Post by loramarsden »

i can't believe i went to brighton for the first time a few months and had NO idea this place existed :cry:
coin-op
Forum Moderator

J Morley arcade at the Dorset steam fair 2009

Post by coin-op »

special when lit

'60s arcade.

Post by special when lit »

No sound, but interesting.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=73218

AMUSEMENT ARCADE

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: '60s arcade.

Post by pennymachines »

Nice find. Thanks for posting. Many classic games here. Those two fleeting shots of the Basketball (with balls blowing from the middle similar to the Bingo machine earlier in the clip) are the first I've seen of the game since playing it as a kid. Also answers my question about the manufacturer - another fun game from Shields of Bridlington. It has something in common with the 1930s Ahrens Bubbles.
slotalot

An Afternoon at Marvin's

Post by slotalot »

Marvin’s Marvellous Mechanical Museum

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: An Afternoon at Marvin's

Post by badpenny »

A generous cocktail of video monitors and electrickery shaken up with oodles of computer controlled chips :mrgreen: .............. but then again what isn't these days?
If this place was on my doorstep I'd go in for the atmosphere but it wouldn't slacken my purse strings any.
Hasn't Burt Reynolds got an amazingly tiny yet tinny sounding wanger?
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Arcade at the Dorset steam fair 2009

Post by coin-op »

Old Penny Arcade at Swanage Pier, 2009

D Hooper's Old Penny Arcade at the Dorset Steam Fair, 2009

J Morley's Old Penny Arcade at the Dorset Steam Fair, 2009

slotalot

Post by slotalot »

The Joe Welch American Antique Museum
An interview with Joe Welch himself... watch it to the end and see if you can keep count of the vintage slot machine in his collection....

loramarsden

Post by loramarsden »

:eek: what a fascinating story, and what an AMAZING collection!

when are we all going on a visit?
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Pinball parlour, Margate

Post by coin-op »

operator bell

Post by operator bell »

loramarsden wrote::eek: what a fascinating story, and what an AMAZING collection!

when are we all going on a visit?
Wow - what a collection! It must be worth upward of $30 million. More upright wheel machines in one room than I've seen in many years of auction sales. If you want to see it, better make it soon, or the next chance you'll get is when it's broken up and sold at auction - it's worth far too much for the local community to buy it and keep it open unless he wills it to them. The Liberty Bell alone is worth seven figures. The only other one I know of is in the Fey collection at Carson City Museum.
Attachments
Liberty Bell at Carson City Museum
Liberty Bell at Carson City Museum
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

A Walk Down Memory Lane