Fitting LED lighting on a Sega bandit

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
pidgetwo

Fitting LED lighting on a Sega bandit

Post by pidgetwo »

Hi - I'm new to the forum. I've just purchased a Sega Bonanza.
The original lighting has been removed and looks pretty dull especially at night, so I want to add some illumination to liven the machine up but do not want to go down the original lighting path, so it's pointing towards LEDs. Stand back and light blue touch paper!!! I know for the purists this is completely a No Go, but I'm no electric wizard and feel LEDs are the easiest method for me. So I'm looking for advice to tell me exactly what I need to complete the job - I've read up a little on the subject and the "cut to size" LED tape lights seems the way to go as I'm ok with soldering. My machine has a top box, so that will need some lighting too. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Pidgetwo
grains

Re: Sega lighting

Post by grains »

Hi Pidgetwo,
Welcome to the forum.
I have used an L.E.D kit in a Bonanza that I'm working on. This was the first attempt and I found the strips were a bit longer than needed so worth measuring up.
In this kit 3 strips can be connected with brightness adjustable from on/off switch. The cost was around £15. Probably more strips would be needed if you have the light box fitted.
You are right and L.E.D's are not everyone's cup of tea, so I have removed and kept the original lighting rig so it can be returned to original if needed.
Attachments
GLgy8YTl.jpg
Last edited by grains on Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.
I can't give you suggestions, only opinions. Not necessarily the opinion of a purist, but certainly someone who remembers the atmosphere of old seaside and fairground arcades.

If you find the stark vicious light of LEDs preferable over the warm and enticing glow of incandescent filaments then make sure you know how to wire them up. There's only one way to do it.

Best of luck and make sure you send us photos.

BP :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

LEDs have come a long way in a short time and a softer light is available if you search around (your adjustable brightness may well help with this anyway). I have used both rigid sets and flex tape lights and I find the flexible works, as well as the ridged, and has the advantage of being cut-able to size. If attached to the case next to the aperture they light well and do not show the individual light spots. The purists, will hate it of course, but there are at least two big pluses, 1, they are cool so do not crackle the artwork over time, and 2. they are low voltage. I have known several people who like this second option as they have young children who love to play the machines. I have two Jennings machines that came to me with no lights (including a Chinese front light up) that have been running trouble-free with flex LEDs for several years.
Attachments
lower case lights on.jpg
lights on top 2.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

I agree with the heat-damage point.
The only time I use LED lighting in a machine is when fragile artwork is at risk.
These SEGA-types (ideal choice for a beginner) mostly had miniature fluorescent tubes. The associated operating 'gear' was ingeniously fitted on a thin panel on the right side of the case (from rear).
These panels are not uncommon; I bought some at a parts auction a few years back. There isn't much room for the tubes, either, but the end result is worth the effort.
Or you can bodge in some LEDs. Colour-changing ones, if you like...
pidgetwo

Post by pidgetwo »

Hi everyone and thanks for your suggestions.
One question, where would you suggest I purchase the LED’s as I heard the ones sold on eBay are usually not very good quality and could be unsafe and as my grandchildren will be playing the machine I will not take any chances. Because of this damn pandemic My choices are limited to where I can purchase and ask advice. Thanks again
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Plenty online at amazon or the DIY giants.
tallstory

Re: Fitting LED lighting on a Sega bandit

Post by tallstory »

As everyone has suggested, using LEDs is a personal choice - their big advantage being that they run cool. The safety issues with ebay lights refers to Christmas tree lights that run on mains voltages. If you stick to low voltage strings, you should be OK.
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

coppinpr wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:33 pm Plenty online at amazon or the DIY giants.
Bear in mind that the wiring on these machines could be 50 to 55 years old and it might be a choice between LEDs, fuses blowing, or something catching fire! :-(
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

I've put LED's in my recently finished SEGA. The bandit had been in a damp shed for years, so I didn't trust the original electrics.
I bought a cut to size ED strip off Ebay for around £5, & made some brackets to stick the strips to. I think it looks OK, is safe, & uses hardly any electric, running off a 5v phone charger.
Attachments
20210420_153937a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Looks good to me and you can leave it on all day with no worries. !!THUMBSX2!!