Electroplating (chrome, nickel etc.)

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
stoxman22

Re: Re-chromed shiny bits

Post by stoxman22 »

In the last 12 months I have had quite a number of items chromed and the results are as follows...

RSChrome Failsworth Manchester. This is not too far from me so I dropped off the parts from a Clubmaster. They took just over 4 months to turn the items round and did tell me on two occasions they were done, only to find they were not when I tried to collect. The finish was very good and cost £150 inc Vat. Turn round was affected by Covid I must point out.

Next came Castle Chrome in Dudley and they took a full 6 Months to do some parts for a Merkur. Cost £120 plus postage. The finish is better than RS. It feels like there is a good coat of metal on the parts.

I have this week sent some parts for a Spinning Wheels and another Clubmaster to ACF Howell in Walsall. They advertise in car mags so I am hoping they will do a good job. They have done an estimate of £150 plus vat and postage from photos I sent and have said 12 weeks. We will see if that hold true.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I used AFC Howell in the past, but not for many years. They were more expensive than most, but would plate aluminium (through another company), so I used them for that. The last job was a Jennings, for a customer. As expected, it took months, and the customer kept hassling for it, so I said I'd let him know as soon as Howell let me know. When I did, he went and collected it himself, then claimed the chrome was flaking and refused to pay. He also refused to show me pictures of it, return it, and (eventually) answer the phone. Not wanting to fall out with Howell, I paid for the work, put it down to experience, and didn't pursue it through small claims. Some time after, Howell's ali plater ceased trading, so I had to go elsewhere.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

pennymachines wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:16 pm I used AFC Howell in the past, but not for many years.
I used these about 3 years ago for hubcap rechroming. They said 3 months, then lost them, then found them, before doubling original quote. Got them back after 6 months and within a further 6 months they started to rust 😢
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

For my latest project I used ChromeFix. Although they quoted 2 to 3 weeks, it was nearer 6 weeks before the parts were returned. From what others have said, that sounds pretty good. They use cyanide based copper plating which means they can plate alloy as well as steel and brass. They weren't cheap but did a good job.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You lot in the Midlands are spoilt for choice, bugger all down south unfortunately :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Spoilt for choice perhaps, but not necessarily by the results it would appear.
:-(
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've transferred the newly mentioned companies and all relevant comments to Services in the hope that it's a useful resource for others looking for a decent plating service.
slotsoffun

Re: Electroplating (chrome, nickel etc.)

Post by slotsoffun »

Having followed various techniques and methods and inventions since mid-80s (various car magazines had articles on said subject, Chroming!) even after 35 years no one (not even 3M) have managed to invent a simple spray for domestic users to achieve true chrome finishes, trust me, I've tried every home kit, 12volt kit, every spray can method (never trust the colour of the cap!!!).
I would say that if after all these years no chemical or scientific method for home users has been able to come close to proper chrome look then I doubt it's gonna happen!!!!!
However.... my idea is this! Chrome wrap (I don't mean the Sugarhill Gang rap), the special chrome vinyl wrap used to wrap entire cars. On YouTube many videos of companies who wrap an entire BMW with a genuine chrome wrap, car bumpers, door and wing mirrors, wiper blade arms and more... I'm sure someone here could try rubbing down a simple Jennings or Mills cabinet and wrapping it to give a perfect chrome finish (if it's good enough for top of the range BMWs it'll be fine for a little old slot machine!). Watch a YouTube video or two as there is a knack to putting this on, but if it can cope with the curves of a car bodywork I'm sure slot castings are a breeze! Well, that's my idea sorted... Who's gonna be 1st to try it? :lol:
brigham

Post by brigham »

Lesley Judd, I imagine...
dirk55

Post by dirk55 »

For those who live in the Manchester area I use Leigh metal polishing in Swinton.
They have done some really good work for me over the years.
The bm co cresta run door parts were done 2 years ago at a cost of £60 and 3 week turn around. The fill em up ball gallery plate also cost £60 this was done a few months ago 4 weeks turn around
Attachments
20210604_061345a.jpg
20191206_121314a.jpg
20210603_220247a.jpg
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Dirk 55 - brilliant work on the Cresta Run case too. Did you rebuild it from scratch?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

slotsoffun wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:01 ambut if it can cope with the curves of a car bodywork I'm sure slot castings are a breeze!
But can it cope with the fluting on the front of a standard Jennings Governor? :!?!:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

dirk55 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:15 am For those who live in the Manchester area I use Leigh metal polishing in Swinton.
Added to Services.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure wrap is a good solution, too soft and rips/tears too easily. Ideal as a temporary solution.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I know of one restorer in UK who has been wrapping both castings and cases.
The results are quite attractive, however when I asked him if the article I read describing the life of wrapped cars as being 3-5 years was due to weathering and car washes? If so did it apply to what he was doing? He said he didn't know and hadn't heard about that.

So something else to check when perusing a machine on offer, if it bothers you.

BP -/00\-
dirk55

Post by dirk55 »

Hi Tallstory, yes I built the case from scratch, I will post photos in open forum when I get chance
stoxman22

Post by stoxman22 »

So.... Just to follow up on my last post here, 12 weeks or so ago, about sending items for chroming to ACF Howell in the midlands. 13 weeks later I have the items back and wow do they charge. They estimated about £200 plus carriage. The final bill was £303. Overall I am not overly pleased with the finish. When comparing like for like on the Clubmaster parts of which I had the same items done at RS Chrome for my other Clubmaster, they are not as polished. Good enough, but there is a better finish from RS Chrome. The real problem is there are two areas that are badly chromed on the handle and on the letter of a badge. I'm tempted to send them back, but the time scale puts me off.
Attachments
20211004_161651a.jpg
20211004_161514a.jpg
highfield

Post by highfield »

You should send back. They are so poor!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think they're trying it on there chap.

BP :tut
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Just add a Pto the end of the photo
Attachments
CRA.jpg
CRA.jpg (47.36 KiB) Viewed 1227 times