Searching for old pals

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
roger

Searching for old pals

Post by roger »

Have any of these guys ever visited the U.K. or established permanent residency ??
Years ago I had 2 in my collection and even featured them on my business card. Unfortunately, this was prior to coin-op books and I did not appreciate what I had.
They were born circa 1900, so they may be long since dead and buried... !!DIG!!

I have noted that not many large arcade machines appear in U.K. auctions... Is this due to cost, lack of space, or just no interest? Arcade machines in the U.S. have really caught on and really command big bucks. I have never seen a picture of a Mickey Finn inside a U.K. arcade.
I would appreciate any information you may have or even your comments. ROGER !!COOEE!! :tarah: :byee:

MICKEY FINN ROPE PULL (strength machine)
CAILLE BROS. U.S.A. (circa 1900)
Attachments
Mickey-Finna.jpg
moonriver

Re: Searching for old pals

Post by moonriver »

I'll respond Roger, as it looks like no one else was going to......
I think it's rare to find either here, there are of course exceptions, but pretty scarce.
As far as operating larger antique arcade machines over here we had our own manufacturers to supply us , such as Ahrens Grand Marathon Cycle Race, Firefighters, and English Execution, and the many large cased fortune tellers by many different manufacturers.
Sadly probably more of ours got shipped out to you throughout the 90's than the other way round.
So, we'd like them back please, preferably without all the added American embellishments. |/XX\|
pennymachines

Post by pennymachines »

roger wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:00 am I have noted that not many large arcade machines appear in U.K. auctions... Is this due to cost, lack of space, or just no interest?
It's true collectors tend to be pushed for space, but when classic arcade machines do turn up at auction here, they attract plenty of interest. British-made games are particularly prized, unsurprisingly, and tend to be rarer than their American counterparts because they were not made in such great numbers. And, as moonriver points out, quite a few were shipped to your country before there was much collector interest here.

Caille Bros. made some wonderful machines, but personally I don't think the Mickey Finn Rope Pull was one of them. I've not seen one 'in the flesh', but although it looks quirky, I think it's ungainly, inelegant and ugly. Strength testers are not the most exciting games, but some have great presence and visual appeal.
roger

Re: Searching for old pals...INSULTED

Post by roger »

Dear MR "P".............I just heard that you called me "ungainly, inelegant, and ugly".

SO WHO ARE YOU.....SEAN CONNERY ??????

!NYAH! !NYAH! Mr. Mickey Finn
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Cool your jets, Mr. Mickey Finn. You are one of the few who make Alfred E. Newman look like Clark Gable by comparison.

J Peterson
Hollywood, USA