Emma Raducana

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
roger

Emma Raducana

Post by roger »

Topic moved - Site Admin.

Sorry to stray so far from Coin=Ops but just had to congratulate you Brits on the Emma Raducana fantastic win. **xXx**
Just in case you are not into TENNIS, she just won the U.S. Open and 2.5 million dollars.

AND THAT'S A LOT OF ALLWINS !!HOORAY!! !!HOORAY!!

ROGER
coppinpr

Re: Emma Raducana

Post by coppinpr »

absolutely amazing, she has set several records that can't be broken, the first qualifier to win a grand slam, the first person to play 12 matches in a grand slam, the first person to play 24 sets in a grand slam and not drop a set.
Other interesting facts, she became a millionaire (both $ and £) instantly as she won the final point (most if not all professional tennis players go on to win single huge cheques but reach their first million by adding up smaller wins, to begin with.)
No disrespect and these days not looked down on (as it indeed should not be) but interesting that BOTH finalists play for countries they were not born in. (the Philippines and Canada) added to that neither of Emma's parents are British ( Romanian and Chinese) As I said this does not, and should not matter, but it reminds me of reading Fred Perry's biography. When he first won Wimbledon the tennis big wigs hated it! He was English but not from the right background to win at Wimbledon, The president and secretary of the all England club came into the dressing room after the match to drink Champagne with the looser and present him with his all England tie but ignored Perry the winner to the point of not talking to him and leaving his tie by the exit door, three years later they officially rescinded his membership and asked for the tie back!! Thankfully things have moved on from that, but then again, we are talking the All England club so perhaps not :cool:
roger

Post by roger »

Coppinpr wrote about the tennis snobs in England. We have our share in the U.S.A. In my day, I played at some of the finest clubs in the country but would not have gotten past the service entrance had I tried to seek membership. -o0O0o-

ROGER :tarah:
brigham

Post by brigham »

I can't remember if it was Herbert Austin or William Morris who was denied membership of his local Golf Club, as a result of being a Motor Trader.

It worked out OK in the end. He bought the Club!
roger

Post by roger »

and don't forget Groucho Mark who said that he would never belong to a club that would accept him as a member. :HaHa: :HaHa: ROGER
nick6969

Post by nick6969 »

Both finalists actually born in Canada as all my Canadian friends keep reminding me !! But I'm claiming her as one of ours. :cool:
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

I suppose you have to run around a lot to keep warm in Canada. Hence their sporting prowess. :lol:
roger

Post by roger »

As for her training in Canada....you try playing tennis in snowshoes. *SKIING*

ROGER :tarah:
cait001

Post by cait001 »

See this is the kind of ridiculousness we have to put up with ALL THE TIME! It's NOT FAIR!
We DO NOT play in snowshoes! We are an industrious nation! We don't live an outdoors nomadic lifestyle!
sheesh

We play inside large ice domes that shelter us from the snowstorms and polar bears. duh.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

cait001 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 pm See this is the kind of ridiculousness we have to put up with ALL THE TIME! It's NOT FAIR!
We DO NOT play in snowshoes! We are an industrious nation! We don't live an outdoors nomadic lifestyle!
sheesh

We play inside large ice domes that shelter us from the snowstorms and polar bears. duh.
Steady on! Otherwise the Censor will be along again
roger

Post by roger »

Described on the internet as 2 Canadians playing tennis and Pictures don't lie.... !!PHOTO!! !!PHOTO!! !!PHOTO!! ROGER
Attachments
Canadian Tennis.jpg
cait001

Post by cait001 »

how dare you leak our top secret military training photos