BDR 'Breadbin' bandit

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geordy55

Re: BDR reels spinning slowly

Post by geordy55 »

All sorted now. It was as simple as a weak spring not doing its job on the clock.
polaris

BDR bandit

Post by polaris »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

My bandit as of late has become very fussy about what coins it will accept. There has always been the odd one or two rejected perhaps down to weight, thickness? but now it’s almost every other coin. As has been mentioned on other posts these mechs are like a Swiss watch and way above my capabilities to figure it out. Can anyone shed any light on what could be the problem, photos or diagram would help. 😂
Attachments
788A5822-ED01-4419-AC91-370EF59A287C.jpeg
788A5822-ED01-4419-AC91-370EF59A287C.jpeg (725.28 KiB) Viewed 743 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: BDR bandit

Post by badpenny »

Let's try and narrow it down a bit first.
What's actually happening?
Is it? ...
Coin enters
Handle is not unlocked
If handle is rattled coin then appears in payout tray.
Or ...
Having rattled the handle you have to open the door and poke at the coin with a screwdriver to move it on?
Or ...
Do you find the coin has partially slipped into the narrow gap between the coin gate and the reject flap that opens to disgorge a wrong un? And as such is being held there in the jaws?

BP
polaris

Post by polaris »

Hi BP,
The first of these is the issue usually: drop coin in, depress handle, reels spin but, as you have said, depress handle, which is locked, and coin drops to payout tray.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

In that case you probably have dirt/fluff/pocket grease adhering to the coin chute. Thus the coin is slowed down and sometimes even brought to a halt before entering the gate.
Remove the handle and case so you can easily get to it.
Apply a good degreaser like Acetone (nail polish remover) WD 40 Degreaser (not WD 40 lubricant) and with a cotton bud thoroughly clean from entry of the coin chute right through the gate and onto the seat where the coin sits when the plunger descends to detect it.
Also check that the gate fully closes from the previous play otherwise instead of a clear track for the coin to follow it's faced with a bit of a gap and it stops. Also when the gate is closed, check for any damage to the leading edge which may have worn a gap which may also trap the coin.
You can confirm or deny that by dropping a coin in with the case off and see where the coin stops. I'd imagine it's half in the chute and half in the gate?
There is a small slide inside the gate which can be adjusted if needed, but try cleaning first.

BP
polaris

Post by polaris »

Many thanks BP.
I thoroughly cleaned the route the coin takes and it was caked with all sorts. Probably never been done before. I’ve had it about seven years and apparently it spent 30 before that in the back of a cupboard. It's a very nice example. Initially the odd coin stopped at the brass gate. You can just make out the edge of a coin in the picture, so I manipulated the shape and have run around 100 coins through with no problem at all. Probably woke half the neighbours though, as you will probably know, it sounds like a bomb going off with the cover removed. :)
Much appreciated. 👍
Attachments
1C6C1AE0-6D83-4952-9A64-4929AE527FDA.png
1C6C1AE0-6D83-4952-9A64-4929AE527FDA.png (1.67 MiB) Viewed 571 times
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

After reading the first half of this post I took the case off my machine with the intention of running a few coins through as a test. I was watching the mech not the reels when the second coin in hit the jackpot and it scared the life out of me! I'm sure there are actually "whistles and bells" in there! It's like the clock in Big Ben resetting to chime the hour! Such a clever and complex mech. I wouldn't part with mine. .............................. /\UK/\ /\UK/\ /\UK/\ = JACKPOT!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well done polaris, it's a very common outcome with BDRs.
I've had four over the years, and they all went rogue in this manner. I think it's due to the gate being almost horizontal and relying on momentum from the initial drop to carry the coin through.
The hidden door to clear a jammed pay out disc is genius.

BP :cool:
totter

Re: BDR 'Breadbin' bandit

Post by totter »

Hi all. New boy here. I’ve had a number of bandits over the years and have just acquired a bread bin. My mech is refusing to pull through. I think a coin may have got jammed in the mechanism in transit. First thing I want to do is get the case off so I can have a closer look. I’m trying to figure how to get the handle off to free the case. Is there a knack or a secret screw? I’ve got the Allen keyed bolt out of the exterior boss of the handle but won’t shift. Any advice appreciated. Totts.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

There are two ways they secured the handle.
One is via the internal clips that also hold the case on.
The other being the Allen key that goes through the boss, if you've removed it and it's not moving ... it's jammed!

Possibly it hasn't been off in ages and some kind of seal has been created, rust/dry grease etc.
If it were mine I'd slip a large wooden wedge down between the handle and the side of the case. Bearing in mind the case is thin and easily dented, tapping the top of the wedge may help ease the handle off. Likewise gentle, sharp hammering the handle boss could make things start moving.
If you've done that and no luck, I'd resort to heat. How much and how you apply it would be down to the condition of the chrome on the handle.

BP :cool:
totter

BDR bread bin bandit. Removing handle

Post by totter »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi all. New boy here. I’ve had a number of bandits over the years and have just acquired a BDR bread bin. My mech is refusing to pull through. I think a coin may have got jammed in the mechanism in transit or a spring has worked loose. First thing I want to do is get the case off so I can have a closer look. I’m trying to figure how to get the handle off to free the case. I can see from earlier posts here it’s a mission. Is there a knack or a secret screw? I’ve got the Allen keyed bolt out of the exterior boss of the handle but it won’t shift. I’m guessing it may just be jammed on but if there is a hidden screw I don’t want to start forcing it. Any advice appreciated. Totts.
coppinpr

Re: BDR bread bin bandit. Removing handle

Post by coppinpr »

If you look inside the door you will see a flat-head screw facing you on the handle, have you removed this? if so then its most likely just gummed up and stuck, try easing it from the inside with a long-handle screwdriver. (TIP- you don't really need to tighten the handle fixing screw when you replace the handle, my BDR is on constant display and use with the handle loose, it never moves and when I need to remove the case it's a 30-sec job) the most likely cause of your problem is either coins jamming the coin entry gate or a coin has worked its way under the revolving payout slide.
Attachments
bdra.jpg
bdra.jpg (41.87 KiB) Viewed 487 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Totter and :WELCOME:
I moved your earlier post where you asked this question to the BDR 'Breadbin' topic where this BDR issue (and many others) were discussed previously. I see BP has also answered your question there. !THUMBS!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:33 am If you look inside the door you will see a flat-head screw facing you on the handle, have you removed this?
It's not necessary to remove that screw as it merely holds the Woodruff key in place within the boss of the handle.
However having said that, should it be the case that the handle isn't stuck but the Woodruff key is holding firmly in its groove, then it won't do any harm.

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

yes. much easier to ease the handle back and forth with the key loosened if its bunged up, not so easy if its still firm....that's why I said it BP :lol:
totter

Post by totter »

Thanks for this. Really appreciated. I will give it a go. I may well be back with further questions. Totts
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:25 pm yes. much easier to ease the handle back and forth with the key loosened if its bunged up, not so easy if its still firm....that's why I said it BP :lol:
Passive aggressive comments say more about the person delivering them.
totter

Post by totter »

So the screw had already been removed and with a timber wedge and a mallet the handle eventually came free and the top came off no problem. There were a bunch of tanners jamming up the mech which now seems to be all free. Problem I have now is that the handle isn’t returning when it goes to the end of the teeth. I took the pack of shims etc along with the pawls apart and cleaned and oiled them. They are now moving freely but one of
E9E6DCF4-1877-4FAC-AD95-D3259E29E8F2.jpeg
E9E6DCF4-1877-4FAC-AD95-D3259E29E8F2.jpeg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 383 times

the springs was missing and the other was stretched. I tried a temp fix as per pic but the pawls don’t seem to be pulling back at the end of the run. If I use a screwdriver tip they will release. I’ve got some new springs as per pic that look the right size but is there any trick to setting this part of the machine and maybe some pictures of what it should look like. The retaining plate also looks a bit bent but that may be the way it should be. Thanks. Totts.
Attachments
ACD5EB8A-82AF-44E1-8531-88EF3FE83851.jpeg
ACD5EB8A-82AF-44E1-8531-88EF3FE83851.jpeg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 383 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I posted images of this area earlier in this topic.
totter

Post by totter »

Thank you!