Why spring loaded coin chutes on R&W allwins?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Why spring loaded coin chutes on R&W allwins?

Post by gameswat »

Topic split & moved from Ruffler & Walker Allwin List - Site Admin.

For what possible reason do the giant R&W allwins use these spring loaded coin chutes? Earth Satellite and What's my Line have different mechs but they both use the same coin chutes with exact same spacing. Seems they could have done this in a much simpler way with just a pressed steel bracket, and if they wanted adjust-ability a couple of bolts welded on would have worked fine. Perplexed in Perth.
Attachments
R&W-coin-1a.jpg
R&W-coin-2a.jpg
R&W-coin-3a.jpg
arrgee

Re: Why spring loaded coin chutes on R&W allwins?

Post by arrgee »

gameswat wrote:Earth Satellite and What's my Line have different mechs but they both use the same coin chutes with exact same spacing.
And not surprisingly gameswat, the 'fill em up' chute is the same - seems rather over-engineered and puzzling as to why they are spring loaded. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
Fill-Em-Up-coin-chutea.jpg
pennymachines

Post by pennymachines »

Could it be to prevent the coin chute from being misaligned (bent) when the large, heavy mechanism is manhandled out of its case? Plonk it down heavily on the chute and it just bounces back afterwards? Best theory I could come up with. SkEpTiCaL
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Nice lateral thinking PM, but I've had the door off What's My Line for weeks now and that coin chute isn't proud of the rest of the mech in any way, so I have laid it on its back on the floor with no prob. And those springs would only work with knocking it in that one direction from the back. The bracket that holds it to the backboard is a die-casting with the two steel shafts part of it, so if you were to knock that chute from the side you'd risk cracking the pot metal. And creating die-cast steel molds is expensive, so I really can't see what they were trying to achieve by it??
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Perhaps as simple a thing as .....

* Using up NOS they had inherited from somewhere
* Feedback from operators about what they didn't like or they wanted improving.
* A senior company member who was beyond challenging who had a bright idea, and just pushed it through.
* Sales gimmicky, bovine excreta , "Isolating the trip gantry with enhanced power, assists the coin passage three times more energetically than
gravity alone. Resulting in less washers and slugs in the coin box."

BP :!?!:
highfield

Post by highfield »

Could it be a pusher to help clear coin jams !
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Looks like R&W decided it wasn't a good idea. The photo shows a coin chute from a 'Many Happy Returns' machine. Same mechanism but simply mounted on a spacer.
Attachments
R&W coin slide.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

highfield wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:04 pmCould it be a pusher to help clear coin jams !
I thought of that too, but then couldn't really see how coins would get jammed in such a way that this arrangement would have had any benefit.
Then I wondered if perhaps the springs are a bit of a red herring and are there merely to keep the chute rigid in situ, and that the reason for this arrangement was to enable a speedy method of changing the coin chute for one designed for a different coin. So simply remove the two split pins, slide the chute off the steel spigots and then fit alternative chute.
The problem with this of course, is why? I should have thought that these machines were almost university intended to operate on old penny. I doubt many, if any, were exported and what other British coin would they operate with?

So I think I'm with everyone else - stumped!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

My Many Happy Returns coin chute IS spring loaded, the same as the first photos.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Well, well - that is a surprise. It would be interesting to know which came first; spring loaded or simple spacer. I can't find anything like a serial number so I can't think how we would work that out. :-(

Does yours have then end pins on the columns where the balls collect? My machine has had them removed, assumedly to reduce the payouts. Such a shame.