Allwin Double Your Money

General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Allwin Double Your Money

Post by pennymachines »

double wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:38 pm What type of wood was used for the case?
Yellow birch is my guess. :!?!: Pretty sure it's no species of oak.
double wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:38 pm Is there a picture of the key for the case door lock? An image will help locating a replacement.
It will be long and flat, similar to the Yale key below. You'll need to find a blank and have it cut to fit, unless you can match a number on the body of the lock.

zaa.jpg

The cash door would take a larger diameter brass lock similar to these:

double

Post by double »

Thanks for this information. My wife said I should tell y’all that we met while stationed at RAF Alconbury in 1980. And she wonders why we didn’t start collecting these games back then.
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

Be careful they become very addictive.
My wife was the same at first, the 1st 2 machines I bought were for her and she enjoys playing on them.
But then I became addicted!
Now after 20+ machines and I come home with a Steeraball she is not so pleased.
double

Post by double »

I am in Chicago this week. Went to a coin shop looking for my one penny coins. They were selling for a dollar each. I bought 10 so they sold to me for .50 each. One coin is a 1909; a 112 year old coin for fifty cent; pretty good deal.
Attachments
AE29C02D-04B4-442B-99DB-053BD600B04B.jpeg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

scorpa163 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:47 pm Be careful they become very addictive.
My wife was the same at first, the 1st 2 machines I bought were for her and she enjoys playing on them.
But then I became addicted!
Now after 20+ machines and I come home with a Steeraball she is not so pleased.
You could always change for a new smaller model !!IDEA!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Door looks something like this:

shefras-door.jpg

Don't think I've seen the Morecambe Automatic Co. plate before.
Attachments
MAC.jpg
MAC.jpg (15.35 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
double

Post by double »

Thanks for the money box pictures. Shouldn’t be a challenge to reproduce. Going to a hardwood lumberyard tomorrow to get a stick of yellow birch.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If you're interested in the company history this might be of interest https://www.penny-arcade.info/the-shefras-collection-
if you need some more pennies, just ask, and ill send you some for just the cost of postage.no problem

If I remember correctly these had operator options for payouts from new so it might never have been changed, they used an ingenious square strip as the payout display that could be inserted in different positions to show the payout that had been selected inside.
double

Post by double »

Thank you for the history link. As you can see I’m missing the top glass so extra pictures help with recreating the graphics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Looks like the distributor of your allwin, Morecambe Automatic Co. of 256 Marine Road, is still in the automatics trade. I visited this place many years ago when it was the only remaining arcade on Morecambe's wild and windy seafront still stuffed with pre-decimal wall machines, allwins, mutoscopes, etc.
Attachments
MAC-2jpg.jpg
double

Post by double »

Pretty neat seeing that old store.

Two pictures: after and before

Restoration is complete less a replacement top glass. I disassembled entire game, cleaned the graphics and installed new plastic cover. Also polished all chrome. The lock box wood is Beech but couldn’t match the stain so that door will be unique. Added a board to the base as the original is pretty chewed up from termites.

If you know this game, Double Your Money, then you know one penny bet gets you two, four , or six pennies payout. Zoom in on the bottom picture and notice I created a replacement sign but used the wrong values. This will be fixed when I find 1/4” numbers.

Attachments
3E6E0352-B1DB-4F82-85E6-CCE48F88F72Ca.jpg
double

Post by double »

If possible, please draw the dimensions of the main case key on the key picture then I will attempt to cut a key. Thank you
double

Re: Allwin Double Your Money Door Lock

Post by double »

Hello, trying to obtain a key for the lock on my Double Your Money cabinet door. From these pictures can you determine the correct key? Love the game and thanks for the help.
Attachments
4DDF4CB9-1199-4AEA-9169-A34069D85DF5a.jpg
6D605C89-E901-4419-BD2D-7F514C984E23a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

So I have about three of these machines and they all have Yale locks, like on many other allwins like Oliver Whales. Your lock may be a replacement, as it is silver and does not fit snuggly to the edges. There is a number on top and the Yale locks are numbered, I believe, 1 to 15. Are there any marks or maker's marks on yours? Below are locks similar and keys… You can cut keys to the levers, so either a locksmith can do it, or you can try…
Attachments
43B1466B-F1AA-4C35-8640-08330408D4DCa.jpg
double

Post by double »

Great information. I will remove this lock and see what I find. Please tell me the correct name for the proper Yale lock, maybe I can order a used lock n key combo. Thanks
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I don't think you'll be able to order a lock like this. They haven't been made for years and are very hard to find, even in the UK.

If you can read the number, you might be able to order a key. More likely you need to find a locksmith who has a blank and can cut one to fit.
double

Post by double »

Hummm, well then I will scout the antique shops. What is the correct name for this type of lock? Can you post a photo of the face and back of a lock?

Did you see the eclipse this morning? Here is a photo someone took and posted online.
Attachments
3B82875A-582D-47F5-A0C1-D3369AAEA6AE.jpeg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Cool photo. Almost looks like a painting. !THUMBS!
double wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:16 pm I will scout the antique shops.
Good luck. If you find one, please can I buy your keyless lock? If you find more than one - let me know. ;-)
double wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:16 pm What is the correct name for this type of lock?
That's one of the problems - there doesn't seem to be a universally recognised name: Yale cylinder cupboard/drawer/cabinet lock.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

The lock is fine, looks perfect from outside and fits snugly so just key it and move on with your life.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I guess that's what I was trying to say. :)