Why spring loaded coin chutes on R&W allwins?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Re: Why spring loaded coin chutes on R&W allwins?

Post by gameswat »

tallstory wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:28 pm Does yours have then end pins on the columns where the balls collect?
The two end pins have been hacksawn off in place. But simple enough to replace as just a piece of rod with small bit of thread on the end. You could just cut up a couple suitable bolts to be lazy.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

My end pins were missing but made suitable replacements.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Gameswat: Thanks for your comment but, unfortunately, the whole assembly - not just the end pin - is missing. When I have time I will get round to taking the assembly apart and seeing if I can get the missing parts remade. Failing that, I think I can make it up with a spacer and a threaded bar but I would prefer something more like the original if possible. The curse of the perfectionist is still haunting me.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Tall - well that was a heavy handed way to alter the income! And this being a game with so much built in adjustment to move those rods and change most of the column sizes. Those two bent arms would be very fiddly pieces to bend and fold being so long and skinny so either make them up using bar stock instead or I'd say better yet don't even bother because the fact is most were converted to not use them anyway. Which means it wasn't just one or two greedy operators but a consensus that the game operated better this way. I remember going to a lot of trouble to complete three Bradley Challengers, having never properly played before. And was very disheartened to discover many of the columns would never fill! A similar conversion happened with nearly all the Challengers I've seen too having the center column blocked off as an afterthought, which I believe was likely a factory conversion kit. Again the Challeneger has much built in adjustment to alter the column sizes, but instead of using that they opted to just blank a column instead.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

I always look carefully at photos of the MHR machines now and most seem to have the end pins removed. It's just more fun to win more often when it's your machine but I do understand why the operators did it. There is a bias towards the end columns, just like there is in many Alwins, making payouts (or losses) there more frequent.

I will have to reconsider the philosophy of restoring the pins. I have always been better at thinking than doing.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

I've been inspired by the great restoration work of you guys and decided to try my hand at making some new end pins for my 'Many Happy Returns' machine. I'm quite pleased with the result, considering I don't have access to a lathe.
Attachments
New-pins-addeda.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

tallstory wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:06 am Gameswat: Thanks for your comment but, unfortunately, the whole assembly - not just the end pin - is missing.
Ah, so it was just the pin pieces missing as we originally suggested - the way you explained it I thought you had to make the pressed steel armatures they attach to. Glad you figured it out.
pennymachines

Post by pennymachines »

tallstory wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:04 pm I'm quite pleased with the result, considering I don't have access to a lathe.
Well done! I think these are so much better with all the winning columns. !THUMBS!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Nice job tall, I agree with Mr PM, with all columns functioning.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Thanks guys. It should make it more fun to play but I can't put it back together until my chrome plating comes back.