PERCIVAL...Where are you ???

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
roger

PERCIVAL...Where are you ???

Post by roger »

Coin Toss.jpg

PERCIVAL isn't his real name, although this is a real life story. (privacy laws)
It all began circa 1937 when I started to accumulate prize coupons at Percival's penny-toss stand, Playland, Rye New York.
You would toss your penny to a board that had certain electrified spots. Just land on a spot and a bell would ring and you were given a coupon which was used to claim a prize. As a 12 year old, I had my eyes on a cowboy cap pistol (75 coupons).

FAST FORWARD to 1945, and I was off to Guam with the 20th Air Force. Most servicemen looked forward to their return to wives, colleges, or sweethearts. NOT ME.......... I wanted the entire 75 coupons and my pistol.

DISASTER... my Mother had thrown out my valuable baseball card collection plus 50 of the Percival cards which I had accumulated. I tried to plead my case to Percival but he wasn't buying my tale of woe.

Does anyone have a genuine Roy Roger's gun and holster (deluxe model)????

ROGER

!!BANGBANG!! !SHOOT! !SHOOT! !!BANGBANG!! !SHOOT! !!BANGBANG!!
treefrog

Re: PERCIVAL...Where are you ???

Post by treefrog »

:HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa: I wonder if Percival still exists !SHOOT! !SHOOT! !SHOOT! Great story !THUMBS!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Roger - I love your stories, keep posting them and put me on your circulation list of your book, when completed. !!CHEERS!!

My parents thew out my Roy Roger's gun decades ago, (the pseudo chrome was so bright) otherwise I would have mailed it to you. However, I still have a photo taken in 1954 of my brother and me dressed in R. R. 'pretend' mode.
Attachments
Roy-Rogers-a.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Great story, Roger. Keep 'em coming.

Goodness Arrgee, you and your brother were righteous little cowboys, wooly chaps and all. I too was a Roy Rogers wannabe back in the day. Now, in my twilight years, I am collecting saddles, chaps and other cowboy memorabilia. I did have a horse for a while, Jack, but he turned out to be Jack the Nipper and he was moseyed on. Life is strangely wonderful.

J Peterson
Yippie-ki-yay in America
roger

Post by roger »

Rock Singers.jpg

Treefrog wants to know if Percival is still around........
I checked Ancestry.com and found that he sold his Penny-toss business after WW-2.
It was perfect timing as he went on to form the Hard-metal group called "TOSS+A+PENNY".

See if you can pick him out of this group picture. ROGER :byee:

HINT...........He is the one not wearing a bra.
roger

Post by roger »

Forget my request to help me find a Roy Roger pistol.
I just found out that Roy stuffed his horse "Trigger" and had him displayed in his museum..... DISGUSTING !!!!!

ROGER
roger

Post by roger »

I'm hot on the trail of Percival... I just ran into an old-timer from Rye New York who identified the owner of the Penny-toss game as "GUS" who operated under the name Gus's Games (circa 1939)... I am offering $100 to anyone who can put me in touch with this guy. ROGER
roger

Post by roger »

P.S. Turns out that GUS was not a rock-star after all but joined the faculty at HARVARD after Playland.
roger

Post by roger »

FAST FORWARD TO AUGUST 2023
Look what I just found on ebay......
Holster Set.jpeg
Holster Set.jpeg (183.05 KiB) Viewed 397 times

I showed this to my wife and hinted that it would make a great Xmas present.
Her only reaction was to suggest that I am probably ready for the 3rd. floor at "Shady Pines".
The 3rd floor houses residents that have really "lost it". ROGER
john t peterson

If you have to go to the third floor, Roger, may I have your Roy Rogers fancy pistol set? I promise to display them next to my "Licensed Victuallers' Automatic Shooting Range."

J Peterson
Dead-eye, USA !SHOOT!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I just found out that Roy stuffed his horse "Trigger" and had him displayed in his museum..... DISGUSTING !!!!!
Roys dog "Bullet" went down the same road.
When the museum closed trigger moved to Branson,Mis and was later sold for $266,000 to RFD-TV who plan to open a western museum of their own.( I think they also bought Bullet).

I suspect the 3rd floor at Shady Pines was set up to keep the more adventurous residents from doing what happened at a retirement home in the UK some years ago. one fun-loving resident in his late 80's thought it was great fun to dress up as death and go tapping on the windows of ground-floor residents at night, two actually succumbed to death's invitation, and the jolly joker was moved to a third floor to keep him indoors at night.
roger

Post by roger »

Mr. Peterson is trying to get my Roy Roger Pistel...........Talk about picking the bones of the dead !!! ROGER
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

did you know there is this video of John "wild bill" Peterson?
john t peterson

I only made this one movie. I dislocated my knee in the scene.

J "Buster Scruggs" Peterson
Cow Town, USA