Lord Sega on 3d coinage

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
grains

Lord Sega on 3d coinage

Post by grains »

Just got round to starting my Lord Sega project which has been waiting for a while.
I noticed the artwork on the award card has been patched and the machine converted to 1p play at some point.
After removing the card there was an extra layer of perspex at the front with the 1p awards and price of play sandwiched from the inside.
Good news is the original award card is mostly intact and it looks like the machine was originally on 3d play with a Grand Prize for the Bars and Special Prize for the Bells, Plums and Oranges. These match the 2 different token payouts on the mech.
The Grand Prize is paid from the trip lever that is connected from the anti reverse lever running through the mech and the Special Prize is tripped from the top slide and pays a token from a separate tube at the front of the mech. Both token payouts are working correctly now after a little tweaking.

Would the Grand Prize have been an equivalent of a 5' Token and the Special Prize an equivalent of a 2' Token when the machine was on 3d?
I wondered if anyone has converted this type of mech back to run again on 3d? Please could you advise if I will need to replace the S10 coin acceptor, coin tube and 2 x slides?
The coin entry is large enough to accept a 3d coin so that's a start.

Thank you
Attachments
I0fr8Dzl.jpg
4I7QxNvla.jpg
brigham

Re: Lord Sega on 3d coinage

Post by brigham »

What a find!
I love machines on thre'penny play. There's something special about them, and this one seems to have been designed for it.
It cleverly avoids the tall stack of payout slides which accompanies this exceptionally thick coin.
Well worth restoring!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have always assumed that 3D conversions of machines to the 12d payout using two slides and token vendors were after market changes, rather than factory made. Yes you would need a 3D S10, or somehow botch it to fit the coin, so in other words pass through. I have a few S10s but never seen a 3D one. I guess they must have existed…

I would leave as is, a lot less work.
brigham

Post by brigham »

It has an S10 acceptor?
That's something I'm not used to on mechanical bandits, although my Jennings Governor Mk. II has one for tanners, I seem to recall.
It makes things rather more difficult, although it MUST have had SOMETHING in the S10 slot that took thre'penny bits.
Easiest thing would be to put it on tanners. The existing S10 might do, if not, 6d versions are very common. Probably not have to alter the payout slides.
Trouble is, that would be so very ORDINARY.
grains

Post by grains »

Thanks brigham and treefrog for your replies.
I have spent a little more time investigating the mech and have taken a few more photo's which may be of interest.
The good news is below the S10 acceptor 3d coins will fit in the coin detector and coin played window pushing them into the tube.
The tube is large enough in diameter for the 3d coins to stack and the slides have a large enough hole but I think there is a problem with the thickness.
The first slide will pay 2 x 3d coins for the single cherry but only 3 coins out of 4 are being paid for the 2 x cherries award.
I took the tube off and can see that the 4th coin is rising up just enough to stop the slide moving back and I have tried this payout a number of times.
Badpenny suggested taking the slides out and lying the lower 2 slides on a flat surface then stacking the coins inside to check if the thickness is the issue so I will try that next.
There does seem to be some adjustments to the S10 unit on the back but I'm not sure if these will accommodate the extra coin thickness needed for a 3d to pass through?
I really would like to get the machine working on 3d again if possible so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Ayi3sITl.jpg
kYYO6Fpl.jpg
gQltQHJl.jpg
8LijYYcl.jpg
sVVgr8vl.jpg
Zsf5xBal.jpg
grains

Post by grains »

A quick update on the progress.
The slides have been taken out checked for thickness which was fine for the 3d coinage and they have now been cleaned as they were quite greased up.
Infact there are only 2 slides paying 3d coins as the 3rd payout is the side mounted Special Prize Token trip.
All 3 of kind awards except Bars pay 4 x coins and the Special Prize Token. The Bars pay 4 x coins and the Grand Prize Token.
I have sourced a replacement 3d S10 coin acceptor which arrived yesterday and this has been fitted now but it needed some adjustment to the cradle mounting due to it being slightly deeper than the original.
So really happy to say the machine is up and running again on 3d coins and I will post some more pics shortly.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

is that a mills style gold award unit hiding in there to pay the grand token?
grains

Post by grains »

Yes its similar,
Here's a comparison side by side with a Sega Light Up Token Unit.
The Lord Sega LS-7002 version is shorter and will hold 3 tokens. It seems to work with either with the 50p style Sega Tokens or the Samson style round Gold Award Tokens.
Not sure what an original Grand Prize Token would have looked like. Does anyone have any photos?