Removing oak stains

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
jimmy55

Removing oak stains

Post by jimmy55 »

I'm currently refinishing an oak allwin cabinet that's had a hard life. At some point in its life on both sides of the top the first couple of inches have had a varnish (the light part where the varnish has dribbled down a bit) and the bottom half has been stained darker. I'm trying to blend it all down and would prefer the lighter colour, but after varnish stripper and a lot of scraping with a cabinet scraper the stain has gone quite deep. Has anyone had any luck with bleaching wood? Would it have any effect on the spirit stain that must have been used in the past? What topcoat do people recommend.... varnish, or an oil and wax polish. Ta. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
side.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Removing oak stains

Post by pennymachines »

I'm guessing that was caused when tannins in the oak were brought to the unvarnished surface by water. If so, you might have success cleaning it with oxalic acid.

Wood bleach tends to alter the character of the wood as it removes the natural colourings.
What allwin is it?
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

I might try the oxalic acid, thanks. It's a Whales 24 winning cup, large case. Cheers !THUMBS!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'd get the colours right and then Bees Wax it.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

I agree that oxalic acid is the best to remove these stains but the method misses an important point. The oxalic acid should be washed off with plain water after it has dried or the crystals will cause problems when finishing the wood. (They are also highly inflammable. It's also best to dispose of any cloths used in the process as these can combust too! )
I've never found it necessary to scrub it on - only to apply with a brush and repeat the whole process as necessary. Good luck.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Thanks all .... crystals ordered on eBay. Watch this space! !THUMBS!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

You should also sand or wire-wool the oak once it's dry to remove wood fibres (grain) raised by the water.