Wrights/Streets/Whittakers Snap bandits

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
peterkay

Wrights/Streets/Whittakers Snap bandits

Post by peterkay »

Hello all,
I am a newbie, I am hoping someone can help me locate, or even tell me the name of a slot machine from the 1970s.
The gist of the game was there was a horizontal barrel split into 3 sections with each section having a picture of different people. I recall there was a policeman, a lady in a swimsuit, I think a postman, maybe a baker. The object was to line up the head torso and legs of the same person to win.
Can anybody connect with this description?
I think it was more for children than adults.

Many thanks,
Peter.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: help with finding a machine

Post by coin-op »

Hi Peter, I think the machine you are describing is called SNAP and was made by Jamieson Automatics who were based in Bridlington. I thought I had a picture of one somewhere, but cannot locate it at present. Maybe another member can produce one. I think the child-like features of the machine might lead you to think of it as a children's game but, when you think about it, in essence it was a disguised three reel slot machine.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I used to have one of those ............. ugly great brute ....... the payout was a bit erratic so I did my usual and stabbed it with a screwdriver whilst it was plugged in ..... lot of glue in chipboard ...... the flames distorted the plexiglass.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Coin-op wrote:SNAP and was made by Jamieson Automatics
There's a 1960s amusement slot machine "Snap" pictured at Artfact, but they attribute it to the London, Eastbourne manufacturer Streets Automatic Machine Co. Ltd.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: "Snap" identified

Post by coin-op »

Braithwaite's Arcade and slot machines book cites a SNAP made by Jamiesons. I recall seeing a SNAP which was different to the one at Artifact, so maybe there are two types. From recollection, the one I saw seemed nicer looking than that shown at Artifact.
malcymal

Re: "Snap" identified

Post by malcymal »

I remember playing SNAP on Worthing pier - 2 horizontal reels with a massive 10 coin payout. No hold facility, a bit boring to be honest: put your new 1p coin in and hope for the best. (Random though, unlike the nonsense they make today).

Do you remember the 2 reeled traditional electronic bandits?
Brenco and Ace. http://www.coin.demon.co.uk/machines/mi ... eel500.jpg
(one for sale at http://www.coin.demon.co.uk/machines.htm)
I'm sure I also played a SNAP at http://www.coin.demon.co.uk/iow.htm when I was on holiday a couple of years back on the Isle of Wight.

Going off topic: - Although SNAP is not showing on their old machines page, some nice photos of old machines they have, if you ever go to the Isle of Wight, you will find bandits and old coin-ops littering the island, some mechanical, some early electro mechanical. It's like a time-warp over there. You might want to visit Arreton Barns too http://www.arretonbarns.co.uk/mainindex.php who have quite a lot of old flickballs, Mills bandits etc.
garycake

What's this machine called? (SNAP)

Post by garycake »

(Snap topic merged - Site Admin)
Hi!
I remember a machine from long ago in the fair. Here's a description: It had two rotating cylinders and various pictures of people on it, split in half. I think there was a fat lady on one half and when one of the cylinders stopped, you had to wait for the other one to stop and if they matched, you would win. Love to see one again.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: What's this machine called?

Post by coin-op »

Sounds like a machine called SNAP. A 1960s Formica clad floor standing game. The pictures were cartoon-like images.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I saw a row of three Jamieson Automatics Snap machines in a modern arcade in Bridlington last weekend. I should have taken a picture!

Shortly afterwards, I played an earlier looking version at Old Penny Memories. I think this was the Streets Automatic Machine Co. Ltd. game.

I've yet to see a surviving example of the humorously named Metro Golden Player - a 1930s, all mechanical, three disk version (possibly by Brecknell, Munro & Rogers?)
Attachments
SNAP
SNAP
SNAP.jpg (13.92 KiB) Viewed 9303 times
Metro Golden Player
Metro Golden Player
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

PennyMachines wrote:
Shortly afterwards, I played an earlier looking version at Old Penny Memories
SNAP! so did I a few weeks ago... LOL.
Attachments
snap1.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

SNAP, they used to have one on Worthing Pier on 1NP. It was hardly an exciting machine but very amusing all the same.. those were the days. Thanks for sharing your photos of it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I used to have a Snap when I was in my last pub. It never occurred to me to operate it and it lived in the garage with my Harley.
Then one weekend we had a Hairy Bikers' do/BBQ/Live rock music sort of thing with camping in the back field.
I suddenly realised that a whole bunch of our "guests" were missing and traced them down to the garage where they had hauled my Harley Fatboy out of the way so they could play the Snap! :eek:
garycake

Post by garycake »

Thanks for the photos guys - it all comes back to me now, golden memories. Anyone see them coming up on ebay often?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think I've seen two over the years on ebay.
howeinuk

SNAP Machine

Post by howeinuk »

(Snap topic merged - Site Admin)
I have been offered a SNAP wall machine in working condition. Can anyone give me any information about them?

There are two holes on the top of the cabinet, approx 50mm in diameter. Would there have been lights or a top flash?

What would be a reasonable amount to pay for one of these?

Grateful for your advice.
Attachments
SNAP.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: What's this machine called? (SNAP)

Post by pennymachines »

howeinuk - I've merged your post with the earlier Snap threads - this should give you some of the info you seek.

What would be a reasonable amount to pay for one of these? Without wishing to sound too facile:- pay as much as you would be happy to, based upon how much you like it, or less, if you can. There's no book price for such things. Sorry, I'm not going to hazard a guess.

I don't think this is visually quite as pleasing as the floor-standers above, but on the other hand it has the merit of being a more compact, bar-top game. It's hard to know if the two holes on top are evidence of a missing light-up because this example is different to the other pictured versions. Could these just be heat ventilation holes for the motor and lights? If so, they'll have grills to prevent anything dropping inside.
malcymal

Re: Snap

Post by malcymal »

I've never seen a bar top model like that. For me that would be more desirable than the big floor stander. If I saw that in my resident suppliers shop I would happily pay about £125 tops for it. It's a lovely piece of seaside history and so simple too. Out of interest, what is the vendor asking for it? Looking at the coin slot it looks like it's on old pennies; so quite original. Malc
howeinuk

Post by howeinuk »

Malc - thanks for your input. The machine is bigger than a bar top - it's about the size of a standard Allwin, but double the depth. Yes, it does run on old pennies. The vendor was asking £350!!!!

Does anyone have any clues on the top - flash or light that is missing?

Thanks

JH
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

The holes could be for ventilation.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

dirtdog I wouldn't pay £350 - that's way over the top. You can get some stunning German machines from Harold for half that. If you compare the Snap to some old Brenco machines and coin operated machines from a similar period as SNAP they have been on sale at Swallow Amusements between £40 and £80 in full working order and good condition (working hold buttons and the 4p or 10p stop feature on jackpot). From my memory of the floor standing SNAP at Worthing Pier I am 95% certain they had a top box on theirs !PUZZLED! . If these holes are vents I would expect to see some form of meshing. It just don't look right to me, in which case I would be thinking avoid. It smacks of an opportunist pricing it at that and opportunists to me equal ungenuine and dishonest. !!GRUMP!! ... Walk away mate and bide your time!!! Half the fun of buying slots is the hunt, you may wait a couple of years but they show up in the end, making your purchase satisfying. M :cool: