Buchanan 'The Australia' identified

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
rocketaroo

My cool find in Australia

Post by rocketaroo »

Topic copied from Introductions - Site Admin.

I have a trade stimulator here in Australia. Apparently is quite valuable, so am here for advice about value, and finding a potential buyer. It's called "The Australia" Has cards on reels, and uses sixpences to win cigars.
Attachments
20220206_151132a.jpg
treefrog

Re: My cool find in Australia

Post by treefrog »

Cannot help you with value or even who might be interested in buying, but if you look at the above topic (merged - Site Admin.), these machines have been discussed on their origin and rarity on the site before. What is a surprise is potentially how many have survived, so not as rare as one would assume.

Nice find !THUMBS!
rocketaroo

Post by rocketaroo »

Thanks!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

A pity it's missing the top marque, especially as this machine has such a strange way of accepting coins. Up to 3/- per play (if this machine is from the 1900s 3/- was a lot, even 6d would have been a lot for a cigar machine in the early 1900s). Cigars were cheap and similar American machines were playing on 1c (5c at the most) yet this machine seems to have been made to use 6d. If it's been upgraded to 6d what would the original coin have been - 1d, 1/2d, farthing!! surely not? Could these machines have been imported obsolete machines from the US many years after they were made and refurbed for Aus use? But if so, how do you explain the "Australia" casting?), plus you had to prove to the club steward that you had indeed put 3/- in before you played, yet the award card doesn't say anything about what extra coins gave you on a win, double for each coin played. That would mean on a 3/- play 3 jokers would pay a staggering 90 cigars. :lol: I do like that wording on the award card, "any member striking the machine forfeits the result". :D

rocketaroo

Re: Buchanan 'The Australia' identified

Post by rocketaroo »

Here is the one I have. I made the topper from a photo frame. Not sure I like it, but was a good project for my day off.
Attachments
20220208_200356.jpg