When you gotta go...

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: When you gotta go...

Post by pennymachines »

roger wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:19 pm Mr. "P" posted that the Lenox coin-op dispenser was made by Lenox Ceramic Art Co. of Trenton, N.J.
I question why a ceramic company would cast an iron product. Also, the dispenser is inscribed Providence R.I.(not N.J).
There was a LENOX HOLDINGS which merged with Gorham Silver which was based in Providence. This may be
the link that ties everything together.
The problem is, Rhode Island-based Gorham and New Jersey-based Lenox didn't become associated with each other until 1991.
I think you're correct to suspect Lenox Ceramic Art Co. is a red herring.
There was a Lenox Mfg. Co. of Catasauqua, Pennsylvania which patented a button hole attachment for sewing machines (US688998) in 1901.

lenoxpat.jpg

lenox.jpg

The company name's the same, the date's close, and making both sewing machine gadgets and toilet paper dispensers is not implausible, but the Pennsylvanian address (about 200 miles west of New York) is wrong. Providence is about 180 miles in the other direction from New York.

Case unsolved...
roger

Re: When you gotta go...

Post by roger »

roger wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:50 pm Current post,"Collector Connector Sales", started life with a discussion of Steve Hunt Auctions...Somehow, the post switched the focus to toilet paper.
Similarly, some time ago, there was an informative posting on "Essex Flat Racer". This post ended up with a discussion of Australian Flush Toilets.
This fixation on toilets and toilet paper reminds me of the time when public toilets were fitted with coin-operated doors and coin-operated toilet paper dispensers.

It was a difficult time for people without the proper change or those suffering from diarrhea....... !!ESCAPE!!
Please note this old post dating to JULY 2021.............
Based on recent events, perhaps we should return to "Toilets" and coin-operated toilet paper dispensers. ROGER